Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys I have a ( simple ) Question.
I have a 19 chieftain. It has about 3500 miles. Services have been done.
The question is, when I’m starting it. I’m getting a bit of blue/white smoke out the pipe. It burns off after about 30 seconds.
No oil in the air box. Yes I will take it in. It may be running rich. But curious if anyone else is running into this, or suggestions.
Thank you.

·
Silver member
5,038 Posts
It will settle in in around 5K. Mine did that once in awhile before it was fully broke-in.

Reactions: Just Shawn

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Until the rings seat,it is normal to use alittle oil,or even notice alittle blue of black smoke coming out of the exhaust.That's why motor vehicle manufacturers will tell ya to go easy driving it for "X" amouint of miles, til the motor has broken in,which allows the rings to seat.If it continues to smoke after it's broken in, is using too much oil,is down on power,and or the ends of the mufflers are black,then you have an internal motor problem,usually valve guides or stacked rings,meaning,the ring gaps are stacked in a straight line instead of being staggered in thirds.I ran into just that problem on my 1978 Yamaha 650 which was brandy new.Power was down,oil cunsumptuion was up,fuel economy was not very good,and the ends of the mufflers were pretty dark [almost black] in color when they should normally be a tan or light brown in color.When I tore the motor down,I discovered the rings were stacked in a straight line where they should have been staggered in thirds.After correcting the condition,my oil consumption was gone, power was increased,and the ends of the mufflers turned to a light brown cocoa color instead of black.Now I'm not saying this is your problem,but if those conditions exist,then there's a chance you could have the same or similar problem like I did with my Yamaha!! And I have seen this problem on brand new cars and trucks too.I even had a brandy new 1970 GMC 6500 truck with a 351 V6 gas motor in it ,which smoked like hell.So after pulling the motor down,I discovered that the factory had forgotten to put the rings on three cylinders on one bank which was a first for me and the only time I had ever run into that problem.But anything is possible in this business!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Until the rings seat,it is normal to use alittle oil,or even notice alittle blue of black smoke coming out of the exhaust.That's why motor vehicle manufacturers will tell ya to go easy driving it for "X" amouint of miles, til the motor has broken in,which allows the rings to seat.If it continues to smoke after it's broken in, is using too much oil,is down on power,and or the ends of the mufflers are black,then you have an internal motor problem,usually valve guides or stacked rings,meaning,the ring gaps are stacked in a straight line instead of being staggered in thirds.I ran into just that problem on my 1978 Yamaha 650 which was brandy new.Power was down,oil cunsumptuion was up,fuel economy was not very good,and the ends of the mufflers were pretty dark [almost black] in color when they should normally be a tan or light brown in color.When I tore the motor down,I discovered the rings were stacked in a straight line where they should have been staggered in thirds.After correcting the condition,my oil consumption was gone, power was increased,and the ends of the mufflers turned to a light brown cocoa color instead of black.Now I'm not saying this is your problem,but if those conditions exist,then there's a chance you could have the same or similar problem like I did with my Yamaha!! And I have seen this problem on brand new cars and trucks too.I even had a brandy new 1970 GMC 6500 truck with a 351 V6 gas motor in it ,which smoked like hell.So after pulling the motor down,I discovered that the factory had forgotten to put the rings on three cylinders on one bank which was a first for me and the only time I had ever run into that problem.But anything is possible in this business!!
Thank you for the feed back. Theres a safety recall on a circuit breaker, So when it’s in for that. Dealer is going to check it out. My wife’s 2018 chieftain. Which has 5500 miles on it haven’t had this issue. We will see.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was there an issue? Did the dealer look at it yet?
Havent taken it into dealer as of yet. However haven’t done it for a while and at about 4000 miles on bike. I do have a recall for a breaker so will be getting it in for that and double check the other

·
Rider
985 Posts
Probably just breaking in. I have similar mileage on my 19 SF and noticed a few times a puff of smoke here or there on start up only and now I have over 4500 miles and no smoke. I am pretty sure that is what the dealer will say too but let us know otherwise.

Thanks.

·
Rider
550 Posts
Did you per chance break it in exactly as the book says? Rings won't seat for a long time if at all that way!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes. Per the direction of the manual and dealership. This is also my 3rd Indian but first time this is happening.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts