Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several tunes downloaded and a couple new ones I want to try. It’s a hassle because I have to take the left passenger floorboard off every time I reflash because it’s so hard to get that cover off without doing it. Just wondering how many of you mount the PV3 somewhere on the bike and where? It looks like I could just lay it in the saddlebag and close the lid on the cable.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
I have the cable mounted And ran up to the bars discreetly so it can be used used at any time, with a moment's notice.
I only have the tuner on board during tweaking, observation, or data logging.
IMHO, best of both options.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
My PVCX came with some heavy duty velcro style pads. I stuck one to the unit and the other to a decent magnet that I'd wrapped in gaffer tape to prevent scratching anything. This combo stays attached to the PVCX. The magnet holds it to my fuel tank for easy access when I'm logging runs for fine tuning.

Leaving the cable connected and sitting in the saddlebag seems an easy solution for when you don't need it, but I'd pull the cable from the PV3 so it's not always running when the bike is on.

·
Silver member
4,652 Posts
You can put it in the saddlebag and close the lid. I like to see certain engine parameters when I am running, so I have mine mounted on my dash using Rokform universal mount and Indian mount. Also make recording logs very easy and safe. With the cost of the PV3, it is a shame not to use it fully, makes a nice expanded informational dash with 20 channels of data able to be displayed.

`

The nice thing is it comes off in seconds if I want to secure it or bring it inside to the computer. Rokform makes a nice handlebar mount as well. I ran the cable up through the left inside and under the tank.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
You can put it in the saddlebag and close the lid. I like to see certain engine parameters when I am running, so I have mine mounted on my dash using Rokform universal mount and Indian mount. Also make recording logs very easy and safe. With the cost of the PV3, it is a shame not to use it fully, makes a nice expanded informational dash with 20 channels of data able to be displayed.

View attachment 589431 ` View attachment 589432

View attachment 589433

The nice thing is it comes off in seconds if I want to secure it or bring it inside to the computer. Rokform makes a nice handlebar mount as well. I ran the cable up through the left inside and under the tank.
Nothing to disagree with there. In fact, you may have swayed me.
Why do I have a 350 Dollar "extended vitals gauge package" just sitting in my tool box?!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well this brings up a new question. I’m new at this and so far I’ve only used the PV3 to download tunes. I’d like to utilize it more for the things you mentioned like data logging, engine parameters, fine tuning, etc. but have no idea how it works or where to start. The instructions are of no help. While I’m waiting for my new knee to heal are there some videos I can watch that will explain all these features?

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Well this brings up a new question. I’m new at this and so far I’ve only used the PV3 to download tunes. I’d like to utilize it more for the things you mentioned like data logging, engine parameters, fine tuning, etc. but have no idea how it works or where to start. The instructions are of no help. While I’m waiting for my new knee to heal are there some videos I can watch that will explain all these features?
Yes. A basic you tube search will yield plenty. I believe there are tutorial on DJ website also.
When I first got stated a many moons ago, even just dicking around in the DJ PC software was illuminating.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. A basic you tube search will yield plenty. I believe there are tutorial on DJ website also.
When I first got stated a many moons ago, even just dicking around in the DJ PC software was illuminating.
I’ve been searching but haven’t been able to find any how tos on setting gauges. And I don’t understand the channels.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
I’ve been searching but haven’t been able to find any how tos on setting gauges. And I don’t understand the channels.
OK. Just like a TV a channel is what your watching. You have 4 screens that display 4 channels each.
To set you channels,
Power up.
Push the button with the square on it.
That will bring you to Main menu.
Scroll down using arrow Buttons.
Push square again. That will bring the device tool menu.
Select "configure gauges" hit square.
You will then see
The options of screens.
Screen 1 screen 2, etc.

Select screen 1.
Push square.
Select desired channel.
Push square.
Select parameter to observe.
Push square.
It will ask about measurement units.
Select desired.
Square.
When done, it will take you to the configure screen to select another channel.
The square is the enter button, and the bent arrow is the back button.

Hope that helps. Once you get into it, it becomes easier to understand than my drivel.

·
Rider
1,182 Posts
Is there a water resistant or waterproof rating for the pv3? Will get one soon but curious if I mount it and it gets caught in the rain if it’ll get ruined.

·
Silver member
4,652 Posts
Is there a water resistant or waterproof rating for the pv3? Will get one soon but curious if I mount it and it gets caught in the rain if it’ll get ruined.
No issues with rain. The specs should have the water rating.

·
Silver member
4,652 Posts
OK. Just like a TV a channel is what your watching. You have 4 screens that display 4 channels each.
To set you channels,
Power up.
Push the button with the square on it.
That will bring you to Main menu.
Scroll down using arrow Buttons.
Push square again. That will bring the device tool menu.
Select "configure gauges" hit square.
You will then see
The options of screens.
Screen 1 screen 2, etc.

Select screen 1.
Push square.
Select desired channel.
Push square.
Select parameter to observe.
Push square.
It will ask about measurement units.
Select desired.
Square.
When done, it will take you to the configure screen to select another channel.
The square is the enter button, and the bent arrow is the back button.

Hope that helps. Once you get into it, it becomes easier to understand than my drivel.
One thing to keep in mind is your bike has to have a tune flashed to it and the PV3 connected to the bike so it knows what channels are available to configure.

·
Premium Member
2016 Indian Roadmaster 120 Stroker
537 Posts
I’m mounting mine like @CraigB1960 - I like the additional info it provides!

Reactions: CraigB1960

·
Rider
944 Posts
It’s a hassle because I have to take the left passenger floorboard off every time I reflash because it’s so hard to get that cover off without doing it
Try opening the saddlebag lid, this will give you more clearance to get the side cover off without too much hassle. Once you find the right pattern to take it off it's a breeze.

I also leave the cable connected and feed it through the frame into the area where the rear shock mounts near the rear cylinder. Then I roll it up to the throttle side of the rear shock. It stuffs in there and does not fall out. When I need it I use a Ram mount to hold the PVCX. When done, I roll up the cable and return it to the location under the seat opposite side to the rear shock.

Best of Luck

·
Rider
1,182 Posts

mounted mine to the ftr. Originally had the perch mount the other way so the pv3 is lower and almost even with the bottom of the TFT, but first ride in the sun and found it very hard to see the screen, almost black. Still a little hard to read where it is now but it’s better and manageable. If I could find a way to make the mount pivot to tilt the pv3 a little bit, I think I’d be able to see it perfectly

1 - 18 of 18 Posts