Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi lads

I've been reading through many threads and people's setups to get a clear vision, but it all become one big spiderweb. So I wanna give my bobber18 more love by letting it breath more free with an aftermarket air cleaner and change the slip-ons along with a dynotune.

When I'm like "Ok this is it, i'm going to the right guy and get this done". My buddies are like, no don't do it, your bike will get way more wear on the engine and you gonna regret that etc.. --- So it's holding me back for ever?

I'm from BENELUX (Flanders/Netherlands) and there isn't a dynoguy located any nearby like in The States.
So that's hassle #1

2nd, how about parts? You guys on these forums are hyped about S&S and Trask. But is a K&N just as fine?
K&N Products by Vehicle Search - Year, Make, Model, Engine Search

My setup would be
PL-1115
K&N Air cleaner - these are easy to get here, no overseas order needed.
V&H Slash cut slip-ons
Power commander V
-> along with Dyno

Thanks !

·
Bronze member
4,743 Posts
Hi lads

I've been reading through many threads and people's setups to get a clear vision, but it all become one big spiderweb. So I wanna give my bobber18 more love by letting it breath more free with an aftermarket air cleaner and change the slip-ons along with a dynotune.

When I'm like "Ok this is it, i'm going to the right guy and get this done". My buddies are like, no don't do it, your bike will get way more wear on the engine and you gonna regret that etc.. --- So it's holding me back for ever?

I'm from BENELUX (Flanders/Netherlands) and there isn't a dynoguy located any nearby like in The States.
So that's hassle #1

2nd, how about parts? You guys on these forums are hyped about S&S and Trask. But is a K&N just as fine?
K&N Products by Vehicle Search - Year, Make, Model, Engine Search

My setup would be
PL-1115
K&N Air cleaner - these are easy to get here, no overseas order needed.
V&H Slash cut slip-ons
Power commander V
-> along with Dyno

Thanks !

Your bike breathes just fine. An aftermarket air cleaner/Intake will only show results when the RPM range is 4000 to 4500 RPM and above. So for normal riding it will yield zero a big fat zero results. Many companies claim better performance and you will have it if you are running the bike wide open. It will do zero for torque.

As far as the PVC I would look into the PVCX because they have already dinoed many bikes and configurations and they will send you maps and new tunes on request. The PVC is a piggy back add on. The PVCX re-flashes the ECU and fixes the issues at the source.

·
Bronze member
2,844 Posts
To get big gains from off-idle to near redline ( with a huge increase starting at 3500 rpm) - without any fussing with dyno shops - you get the Scout Zip Kit from Zippers Performance.

Spend an afternoon bolting the kit on and your bike becomes frightening..

See the results for yourself: Zip Kit for Indian Scout - New & Featured

·
Bronze member
2,844 Posts
Advertisment for the Zip kit says it includes the Power commander. I’m sure it works well. A lot of people prefer he PVCX unit instead of a piggy back unit. Just my 2 cents.
Currently, there is no PVCX tune for the Zipper MaxFlow induction system.

·
Bronze member
2,844 Posts
When I asked them about the possibility of using their PCV tune to help adjust my PVCX map they said they have no plans for ever making a PVCX tune. :(
They could (Zippers has an in house dyno for product development.).
But they either won't or don't have an employee capable of PVCX tune development.. The PVCX is an Indian only device requiring special skills & knowledge..

Probably the only way we will ever get this tune is for someone, that's physically close to Fuel Moto or DynoJet, to take them a MaxFlow equipped Scout - for tune development..

Until then, the Zipper programmed PCV that comes with the Zip Kit will be perfectly fine - and can be sold in the future if/when a PVCX tune is created..

Nothing, to date, can create power levels (power curves) even close to that of the Zip Kit.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Nothing, to date, can create power levels (power curves) even close to that of the Zip Kit.
If the Zip Kit is so awesome as you say, how come they wont reach even 100hp on the back wheel? Over the years we have been shown several dyno charts with 100+ on the back wheel.... Cant remember max torque numbers so here they might be as awesome as you say.
The Zip pipes look awefull though, I would not put those on my bike if they were free...

·
Bronze member
2,844 Posts
If the Zip Kit is so awesome as you say, how come they wont reach even 100hp on the back wheel? Over the years we have been shown several dyno charts with 100+ on the back wheel.... Cant remember max torque numbers so here they might be as awesome as you say.
The Zip pipes look awefull though, I would not put those on my bike if they were free...
Hell... I knew this was coming.. Oh well, lets do this... Starting with refreshing your memory.

On one hand is the Zip Kit, running a crude PCV with its' crude post-ECM fuel modifying tune. On the other hand is the S&S + KhromeWerks slipons + a PVCX flashed ECM - running a state-of-the-art program from the best PVCX tuning experts available (Fuel Moto).

In this case, the Zip kit makes so much more TRQ, that even the HP numbers are seriously elevated over 95% of the engine operating range. You can see this yourself, but, as I have done the analysis, I'll give you the cliff notes: The Zip Kit Scout "runs off and hides" from the other. An extreme top end "slice" of the usable RPM range does go to the PVCX Scout (7600 rpm to redline) - but he is so far behind by that point that it's hopelessly too little, too late..

Also, in the future, with a proper FM PVCX tune, who knows what the Zipper MaxFlow might be capable of..

·
Registered
83 Posts
Are both those runs done by different shops/people on different days on different dyno's?

Unless, they're back to back on the same bike and the same dyno on the same day, I wouldn't personally put much faith in the claim by Zipper … especially if it's THEIR claim.

·
Bronze member
2,844 Posts
Are both those runs done by different shops/people on different days on different dyno's?

Unless, they're back to back on the same bike and the same dyno on the same day, I wouldn't personally put much faith in the claim by Zipper … especially if it's THEIR claim.
Unfortunate "wisdom" - I postulate that this was propaganda which "sounded good" to the "masses" and so became dogma. On the other hand, perhaps at some point back in time, the early Dyno's were only capable of "unique assessments", which created this dogma.

However, currently, nothing could be further from the truth concerning modern DJ Dyno's.

Properly maintained, properly calibrated, properly operated, and using SAE correction algorithms ("CF: SAE" on the chart), the charts are directly comparable regardless of where or when the testing occurred.. BTW, we have put this to the test in the DFW area - variances of less than 2% was the result.

Complete charts from reputable sources can and should be trusted. FM can be considered beyond reproach, Zippers Performance is very well known and established, but their in-house DJ dyno, less so - however it is an almost complete DJ SAE chart with irrefutably precisely accurate power curves for a stock Scout - And with improved curves that follow expected results from a tuned runner induction system on a properly exhausted and fueled Scout. Note that even with Smoothing turned down to 3, they achieved practically silky-smooth curves on the Zip Kit tune.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your bike breathes just fine. An aftermarket air cleaner/Intake will only show results when the RPM range is 4000 to 4500 RPM and above. So for normal riding it will yield zero a big fat zero results. Many companies claim better performance and you will have it if you are running the bike wide open. It will do zero for torque.

As far as the PVC I would look into the PVCX because they have already dinoed many bikes and configurations and they will send you maps and new tunes on request. The PVC is a piggy back add on. The PVCX re-flashes the ECU and fixes the issues at the source.
Very interesting. I've sent them an email regarding ordering from Europe and if they support RON95 and RON98.
I presume that RON98 is similar to octane 93 and RON95 to 91. If it actually matters (unsure).

So let's get this straight.
- I simply connect it, withdraw 2 files.
- Back these files up and send a copy to FM.
- Include info about my bikesetup.
- Await their reply and Flash their file

No need for logging etc (i'm a rookie)

·
Bronze member
2,844 Posts
Not if you are getting the Zip Kit. It's just bolt on and go...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Currently, there is no PVCX tune for the Zipper MaxFlow induction system.
True, but the ARTS service is always an option to get a customized tune. That's what I'm getting done right now for my maxflow/tab set-up and I can't imagine anyone better than Craig to do it. Maybe once it's all said and done i will spring for a dyno just for fun.

·
Bronze member
2,844 Posts
True, but the ARTS service is always an option to get a customized tune. That's what I'm getting done right now for my maxflow/tab set-up and I can't imagine anyone better than Craig to do it. Maybe once it's all said and done i will spring for a dyno just for fun.
Well, assuming that somehow you two can dial in WOT ( wide open throttle tuning requires wideband lambdas (O2's) or a Dyno ), however, I believe Craig can interpolate VE table values to include WOT ops..

Another option: Seems to me that you are near DJ (Las Vegas) -
Dynojet Research, Inc.
2191 Mendenhall Drive
North Las Vegas, Nevada 89081 ..

They will certainly dial in WOT ops for you ! And then add it to the DJ tune list !

P.S. You are certainly about to have the fastest, or one of the fastest, Scouts in existence..

·
Registered
520 Posts
I don't know if I want to go WOT, I can barely stay on the bike as it is lol.

There are several dyno facilities here in Vegas but I'm not sure how reputable they are or knowledgable on map adjustments because I certainly am not. DJ is here, but I don't think they offer direct services, at least not from what I can tell.

·
Bronze member
2,844 Posts
I don't know if I want to go WOT, I can barely stay on the bike as it is lol.

There are several dyno facilities here in Vegas but I'm not sure how reputable they are or knowledgable on map adjustments because I certainly am not. DJ is here, but I don't think they offer direct services, at least not from what I can tell.
Check your inbox ..

And I feel your pain bro.. I know you are seeing power levels you can't just "play with/have fun with" by willy nilly jabbing WOT ... You gotta be pointed in a safe direction and braced-up..lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Gotta shoot this final question! (For now)

Will the pv-cx remap get rid of the decel pop sounds comming from my straight v&h slash cut 3" mufflers knowing that i'm putting the dbkillers in.

I've got that standard airintake, but I may purchase the s&s stealth along with the pvcx.

Thanks a bunch for helping this rookie

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.