Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow tribesmen and -women,

I recently installed new front brake pads on my 2010 Triumph Bonneville T100. These were EBC “Double-H sintered pads" and wanted to order the same pads for my 2016 Scout 60. After changing the bike specs, RevZilla suggested these pads were correct for that bike:

"EBC FA672V Semi-Sintered Front Brake Pads" – I have no clue how and why “Double-H sintered” all of a sudden became “Semi-Sintered”, but here it comes:

The “Fitment Note” for these (recommended) pads says: “Only applicable to Indian Scouts with Toso calipers. Please check your calipers prior to ordering, if they are not Toso, order FA209/2HH instead.”

RevZilla couldn’t help me here at all and pointed to my manual and Indian forums to get this sorted out.

No big deal, but here is my dilemma: Neither my calipers itself nor my manual does say what kind of calipers are installed on my particular bike. (non ABS 2016 Scout Sixty) My calipers have 4 numbers engraved on top: 151224 020007 151224 020008

Here are a few pictures of my front calipers. Can anyone identify them and tell me they are either “Toso” calipers or not?

Also, since this forum contains such a wealth of knowledge, can somebody please explain the difference between “Double-H sintered” and “Semi-Sintered”?

Thanks so much in advance!

·
Rider
1,145 Posts
Hello fellow tribesmen and -women,

I recently installed new front brake pads on my 2010 Triumph Bonneville T100. These were EBC “Double-H sintered pads" and wanted to order the same pads for my 2016 Scout 60. After changing the bike specs, RevZilla suggested these pads were correct for that bike:

"EBC FA672V Semi-Sintered Front Brake Pads" – I have no clue how and why “Double-H sintered” all of a sudden became “Semi-Sintered”, but here it comes:

The “Fitment Note” for these (recommended) pads says: “Only applicable to Indian Scouts with Toso calipers. Please check your calipers prior to ordering, if they are not Toso, order FA209/2HH instead.”

RevZilla couldn’t help me here at all and pointed to my manual and Indian forums to get this sorted out.

No big deal, but here is my dilemma: Neither my calipers itself nor my manual does say what kind of calipers are installed on my particular bike. (non ABS 2016 Scout Sixty) My calipers have 4 numbers engraved on top: 151224 020007 151224 020008

Here are a few pictures of my front calipers. Can anyone identify them and tell me they are either “Toso” calipers or not?
View attachment 579951 View attachment 579952 View attachment 579953

Also, since this forum contains such a wealth of knowledge, can somebody please explain the difference between “Double-H sintered” and “Semi-Sintered”?

Thanks so much in advance!
Well damn, I need that info also. I'm surprised there's been no definitive answer. I can't tell what caliper I have.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it’s a shame that absolutely nobody responded and I almost didn’t recognize my own post :eek::ROFLMAO:😎
hey @Old KY Guy, let’s have a sip of KY Bourbon 🥃 on our ignorant tribesmen and -women and hope somebody has changed the pads already and knows the answer 👍 I’m still riding on my original pads.....

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just pop one of your old pads out of the caliper and see whether its shape is a match for the new ones.
Brake pad material...
Just pop one of your old pads out of the caliper and see whether its shape is a match for the new ones.
Brake pad material...
Well, I was and still am trying to avoid exactly this szenario and rather have the correct pads handy when I need them and not start the job, then have it sit idle for a few days until the new pads arrive. Also, your reference to the pads guide is nice, but doesn’t answer my question on how, all of a sudden, these superior Double-H sintered pads became the lesser quality semi sintered?

Reactions: Old Kentucky Guy

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Rider
1,145 Posts
Well, I was and still am trying to avoid exactly this szenario and rather have the correct pads handy when I need them and not start the job, then have it sit idle for a few days until the new pads arrive. Also, your reference to the pads guide is nice, but doesn’t answer my question on how, all of a sudden, these superior Double-H sintered pads became the lesser quality semi sintered?
I guess I could call Indian with my VIN and see if they can tell me. But, jeez, it shouldn't be this difficult.

The other option which I will probably take is to order both sets of pads and return the ones that are incorrect. Again, shouldn't be necessary.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never called Indian, but am dreading this :rolleyes: just assuming calling them is as exciting as calling your cable- or phone company for help. Spending about an hour of your time to call them at least 3 times because your call was dropped twice, before finally getting a human on the line, who very likely can't help you anyway with your problem/question :eek::sick:
So, without anybody with real knowledge chiming in here, ordering both sets is probably the way to go to at least finish the job on the same day you started it (y):rolleyes::cool:

·
Rider
1,145 Posts
Never called Indian, but am dreading this :rolleyes: just assuming calling them is as exciting as calling your cable- or phone company for help. Spending about an hour of your time to call them at least 3 times because your call was dropped twice, before finally getting a human on the line, who very likely can't help you anyway with your problem/question :eek::sick:
So, without anybody with real knowledge chiming in here, ordering both sets is probably the way to go to at least finish the job on the same day you started it (y):rolleyes::cool:
Mine is a 2017 Sixty. But it is clear from these pictures that it is not the same caliper as yours. The mystery deepens LOL
caliper 01.jpg

caliper 02.jpg

Reactions: JoyRider

·
Rider
1,145 Posts
I called the Lexington, KY Indian dealer from whom I bought my bike and they said they didn't know the answer but would research it and get back to me. I will follow up when I get news.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool, yes, please keep me posted when you get an answer, mine is “the other one” then. 😂

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks @65Cabriolet, but I do not want to buy Indian pads!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No they don’t - totally different design and size - I explained that in the initial post. Indian is selling “the one” that fits my bike - whichever that is - but I want the double-H sintered pads from EBC. Again, here’s what the “Fitment Note” for these (recommended) EBC pads says: “Only applicable to Indian Scouts with Toso calipers. Please check your calipers prior to ordering, if they are not Toso, order FA209/2HH instead.”
Looking at the pictures of my calipers: Are these Toso calipers or are they not?

·
Rider
1,145 Posts
I called the Lexington, KY Indian dealer from whom I bought my bike and they said they didn't know the answer but would research it and get back to me. I will follow up when I get news.
They said they would look and call me back - yeah well that ain't happened.

Does anyone know if the stock pads are sintered or semi sintered? The dealer doesn't seen to know that either.

·
Rider
1,145 Posts
Current status of my front brakes. I threw in the towel and decided to order the EBC semi sintered pads from Revzilla. Two India dealers could not tell me what the oem pads are, sintered or organic. I'm waiting for an appointment at my local shop to get my front tire replaced and I will have the pads installed then. I was going to do it myself, but they only want 1/2 hour labor charge to do the pads and since they are going to have the wheel off anyway....I'm not doing it for that small charge.

Anyway, I will post if the pads fit when this is done.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Smart choice @ Old Kentucky Guy, but SMH about Indian dealers knowing or better NOT knowing their equipment and/or Indian supplying them with needed data/knowledge. Anyway, mine is a first year SIXTY so I kinda understand, but yours being a 2017, they should have documented their shit by then :mad::sick::alien::geek:
Thanks a bunch for keeping me posted and good luck from the Old German Indiana Guy ;):cool:(y)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts