Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Rider
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The OEM tires on my Roadmaster aren't long for this world. So I started shopping. I'm sticking with the stock sizes and I like the Dunlops. But the Elite 3 tires have a new brother, the Dunlop Elite 4 models.
130/90B16 Bias for the front and 180/60R16 Radial for the rear. Shopping with Google I've found several web sites that have them at the same price $145.04 & $217.40. But I've been buying motorcycle tires for MANY different bikes, for a couple of decades at TiresUnlimited.com. As a motorcycle mechanic I've gotten lots of customers who ask me to buy the tires and install them when they arrive. TiresUnlimited has been my go-to tire store. But their web site sucks. It often doesn't even show all the tires that are available, INCLUDING the Elite 4s that fit all of the 111 models. You need to CALL THEM (800-628-4737) to get the latest prices, especially if the web site doesn't show what you're looking for at all.
I've got the Elite 4s coming to my shop for $136.24 & $204.21. They do charge modest shipping, but not sales tax.

·
Bronze member
2,820 Posts
The OEM tires on my Roadmaster aren't long for this world. So I started shopping. I'm sticking with the stock sizes and I like the Dunlops. But the Elite 3 tires have a new brother, the Dunlop Elite 4 models.
130/90B16 Bias for the front and 180/60R16 Radial for the rear. Shopping with Google I've found several web sites that have them at the same price $145.04 & $217.40. But I've been buying motorcycle tires for MANY different bikes, for a couple of decades at TiresUnlimited.com. As a motorcycle mechanic I've gotten lots of customers who ask me to buy the tires and install them when they arrive. TiresUnlimited has been my go-to tire store. But their web site sucks. It often doesn't even show all the tires that are available, INCLUDING the Elite 4s that fit all of the 111 models. You need to CALL THEM (800-628-4737) to get the latest prices, especially if the web site doesn't show what you're looking for at all.
I've got the Elite 4s coming to my shop for $136.24 & $204.21. They do charge modest shipping, but not sales tax.
As you have a buisness,can you get the price down anymore?I do you have to buy any quanity and do they charge you tax.thanks

·
Rider
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As you have a business,can you get the price down anymore?I do you have to buy any quanity and do they charge you tax.thanks
My business as a motorcycle mechanic is past now. I've retired from working on other people's bikes. But truth to tell, most internet companies are selling tires with a VERY minimal profit margin. The competition is fierce and things like tires and helmets are sold at almost no profit as "come-ons" that they hope will bring in additional sales that will actually generate some real profit.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,277 Posts
If you can have a local independent shop change your tires it will most likely cost less than at the dealer. That's what I did last Summer.

·
Registered
360 Posts
If you can have a local independent shop change your tires it will most likely cost less than at the dealer. That's what I did last Summer.
Just got a quote from Indian dealer for Michelin Commanders tires installed on my Vintage...$918! I almost fell out of my chair.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,277 Posts
I didn't pay anywhere near that last year for mine even including new brake pads.

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
Just got a quote from Indian dealer for Michelin Commanders tires installed on my Vintage...$918! I almost fell out of my chair.
That’s insane way out of line. What are they marking the tires up a $100 a piece like Harley does. Get their tire price. I had 2 installed last year for $190 total pulled mounted balanced and put back on. What do they want $700 for tires ! Give me a break

·
Registered
360 Posts
Dealer was charging me full retail for tires and tubes. $251 front, and $335 for rear.

Found a better price at another dealer...$680!

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
You can gets a set of E4,s for $375 from Bike Bandit delivered to your door all in for $375 and I’m sure you can get them installed for max $200 or do like me when I have the time pull the wheels and bring them to a shop that runs me $70

·
Registered
320 Posts
When you say modest shipping how much is that?
American Moto Tire Search Results has been my go to for years. No tax, no shipping, easy online ordering, 45 seconds.
Delivered to my door in two days. The set you mentioned E4's are $362.44 delivered.

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
Ok so I believe what we are all getting at here is you are being screwed by your dealer. And most of us don’t buy tires thru dealers to begin with. You’ve been given some great alternatives here use them.

·
Registered
320 Posts
With shipping my tires showed up at $356.45 total.
Good deal, the E4 is a very good tire.
Looking at the two websites it depends on tire brands. AMT seems to be a lot cheaper on some. For instance, the Avon Cobra's I run on my Thunderbird are.
AMT= $312
Tires unlimited =$377

·
Registered
360 Posts
My only reason for trying a dealer are the tubes. I haven't been able to get a definite answer as to whether there is an aftermarket replacement. Apparently something with the front tube stem angle if I understand correctly.

Indian retail for tubes is front $92.99...rear $56.99!

If anyone knows of aftermarket tube replacements, be much appreciated!

·
Bronze member
2,652 Posts
After running radials on my Triumph Thunderbird,which was the first bike I ever owned which used radial tires on both ends,[there were no bias tires available in the correct size for that machine] I will NEVER use another radial! If the bike I'm interested in comes with radial tires,I WON'T BUY IT!! WHY?? Cause they don't last worth a sh** and are a lot more expensive then the bias tires in the same size.My SDH came with a Dunlop Elite 180/60R/18 [radial] on the rear,[and a bias tire on the front which STILL has good mileage left on it] but only lasted 15,000 miles.My 99 Yamaha RSV came with bias tires on both ends,also Dunlop Elites,but both lasted 25,000 miles,front and rear.My replacement rear tire for the Indian was also a Dunlop Elite,but in a 180/65B/18 size [bias tire] ,which ,IMO,rides better,puts the speedo right on the money,and the best part,cost less money then the radial.But each to his or her own!! Anyways,that's my opinion on motorcycle radial tires FWIW!!! Dave!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts