1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bronze member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 195 65 16 radial tire does fit on the vintage rim,
For you dark side riders.
Has a quarter inch gap for the belt,
Used same tube with ride on still in it,was still very plyable.
IMG_20201128_140520868.jpg

·
Registered
411 Posts
Do you have any pics from the back? How does it handle and can you take curves and turns easily or does it completely want to track straight?

·
Bronze member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Front is 510 16.
Ride on works well,it's a little lumpy if you take off in 30 degree weather.
But after 5 miles it smoothes out.
Watching a guy drill 1/4 in holes in his tire,sold me on the stuff, even though I've not had any punctures yet.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
If I read your text corrct, you have radial on rear and bias on front. Does this make handling a little difficult ?

·
Bronze member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No,handles well.
Have no idea why that would make a difference.
I went back to tires having more tread than newer mc tires due to the tar snakes and dirt roads in north dakota when I worked there.
First time I hit multiple tar repairs on a hot day,I thought I had a flat tire,and kept pulling over to check.
I've had harleys for many years and can't ever remember having this trouble.
So I went back to the tires I've always run.
Except the old ribbed tires that used to follow the rain groves on Calif freeways.lol

·
Bronze member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've really gotten into tires lately,
I want to retire soon ,and don't want to wrench on motor cycles any more.
They have way too much crap on them,and I can't bring myself to charge the amounts needed to build a big shop.
So oil and tires.
Tire manufacturing hasn't changed much over the years,and mc tires cost more due to the fact that they don't sell as many.
Simple as that.
Iv bought electronic spin balancers,expensive and the only advantage that I can see is that younger folks that don't care to figure out what to do without the appropriate app can use them.
But you can program the machine to ignore read outs you don't like.
So I've learned that no one makes a mobile tire balancer,even though there are people that use them for a selling point.
I have bought a bubble balancer as the spirit level can't lie.
And don't buy st tires for a rv,they are junk and truck tires are more suitable for large RVs.
So I install tires on the fly, mostly RVs.so you don't have to bring your rig to a tire shop.
Semi's I don't Balance I just use balancing beads.
So you engineer's in the crowd,. Your thoughts.
That's the extent of my knowledge of tires so far lol

·
Registered
411 Posts
I can't tell the difference from my dunlop, except you can't spin your tire at a stop in the rain.
Wow. I just can't imagine being able to ride a down curvy road with that on the back. Bet you'll get a ton of freeway miles on it though. I've just never read that much about the "dark side".

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
i recently rode a bike equipped with car tire on rear. I could tell no difference handling. Did not know was car until after I stopped for gas.

·
Bronze member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow. I just can't imagine being able to ride a down curvy road with that on the back. Bet you'll get a ton of freeway miles on it though. I've just never read that much about the "dark side".
I scrape my floor boards from time to time.
Been mounting a tire inside a tire for the derby cars,kind of a run flat tire for hill billy's.
Never underestimate a ******** ability to do stupid shit lol

·
Silver member
4,864 Posts
This is both interesting and informative! What about PSI, what the manual says or what's recommended on the side of the tire?

·
Bronze member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Idk,I just put enough pressure to have the tire tread set flat.about 30 psi.
I run my hd with a hard tail about 20 psi in the rear or it'll beat ya up.

·
Silver member
4,864 Posts
I feel yer pain...I had a hard tail Pan way back when and ran the rear tire on the soft side.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts