Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this is a bit premature, as I have put zero miles on my new Scout tires so far, but my mind just keeps going as it relates to modifications and upgrades...

As soon as I do wear out my new Scout tires, I plan on going with something a little more vintage looking. Top of my list right now is the Beck 500-16 shown in this picture. The 500-16 will be a perfect size replacement for the stock front 130/90-16 on the 3.5" wide wheel. My concern is the rear. That tire does not come in a wider size, and the stock rear tire is 150/80-16. I can live with a 20mm narrower rear tire, but what about wheel width?

Does anyone know if a 500-16 tire will mount okay on the 5" wide rear wheel?
Anyone else have ideas on replacement tires?

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Good looking tire!

As far as the width, I believe that you shouldn't have a problem with seating the bead... But I believe that tire is suitable for a 3.5"-4" width wheel.

Having the tire stretched beyond ideal will change the handling because the tread will be less "round" and more pancake. So I suggest against it.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
I haven't read (yet) in any of the reviews that had anything bad to say about the tires. Why don't you try them out first....then decide?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't read (yet) in any of the reviews that had anything bad to say about the tires. Why don't you try them out first....then decide?
I am. I plan to run the stock tires until they are worn out, unless they are absolutely horrible.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
I know this is a bit premature, as I have put zero miles on my new Scout tires so far, but my mind just keeps going as it relates to modifications and upgrades...

As soon as I do wear out my new Scout tires, I plan on going with something a little more vintage looking. Top of my list right now is the Beck 500-16 shown in this picture. The 500-16 will be a perfect size replacement for the stock front 130/90-16 on the 3.5" wide wheel. My concern is the rear. That tire does not come in a wider size, and the stock rear tire is 150/80-16. I can live with a 20mm narrower rear tire, but what about wheel width?

Does anyone know if a 500-16 tire will mount okay on the 5" wide rear wheel?
Anyone else have ideas on replacement tires?
I hadn't thought about it really, but after seeing the picture of those tires I think they would look great on the scout. Definitely worth looking into. Thanks :)

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
If the tires are made by Kenda, then I hope they are better than the Kenda's I've had on my trailers. I'll see how they perform and then if they don't live up to my expectations, I'll switch them out ASAP. After all, that tire contact patch is the only thing between me and highway.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I think. These require a tube I believe.
Hmmmm... not sure how exactly that works. I've never seen a tube run on a cast wheel. I wonder if it would work without a tube?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
Hmmmm... not sure how exactly that works. I've never seen a tube run on a cast wheel. I wonder if it would work without a tube?
It does. The Guerrilla (the name of that Sporty) appears to be running stock 16" cast wheels.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It does. The Guerrilla (the name of that Sporty) appears to be running stock 16" cast wheels.
True. Apparently it can be done because they are on that bike. Just not sure if they put tubes in or not.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
Yes. I would for this configuration. The tire is really too big for the rim, and while it looks great, it probably won't keep a bead. This is a show bike, so it might not matter.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was just reading through the Rider's Manual and the specs in it show 16" x 3.5" wheels front and back:
scout spec.JPG

The specs on the Indian website show 16 x 3.5 front and 16 x 5 rear:
scout spec2.JPG

I guess I'll just have to wait until mine comes in to measure and see if the 500-16 tires I want to use will work or not. o_O

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Why not just go with Michelin Commander II's ?? Already Sized to Fit and Ready to Roll ..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts