Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Tire
so i got my 2018 scout bobber about 2.5months ago and im over 10,000km already.

My rear tire from the dealer is worn right down to the wear indicators. Ive found to my surprise im riding this scout like its a touring bike but hey its awesome.

10,000k seems like low mileage to wear out a rear tire but ive seen older posts saying the kenda tires the scouts come with are garbage.

A few random recommendations and some online research has pointed me toward the michelin commander II. Im getting them installed Friday.

Just wondering if anyone has some insight , what has been your experiences with the tires the scout came with — and what brand do you like ? Why? Ive made my decision but im interested in learning as much as i can

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Im looking for a discussion on tires but if it’s already been done maybe ill delete my post.

I was going to put a reference to dark siding as well which ive only just heard of:

Tales From the Dark Side: Putting Car Tires on Motorcycles

Most on this forum like the Michelin Commanders ll, good traction, longer wear. Or the Pirelli Night Dragons, more traction, wear faster. Do a search on this forum. I think there was a vote box. I believe more picked the Michelin.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Dark siding a bobber is going to look a little outlandish though the mileage is phenomenal, it's typically only done on touring bikes. I did it to my Fat Boy since it couldn't maneuver for crap anyway. Car tires don't have the sidewall support bike tires have so they aren't the best choice for carving curves. 10K is pretty reasonable for a bike tire.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I wore my rear tire down before i got to 8000Km. I replaced it with the Metzler 888, I love these tires, I've put them on all my cruisers. they last forever and I love the grip. My only comment about them is that they are easy to brake loose while the tire is cold, Once they heat up, they grip well.

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
I was having some high speed wobble from the MCII's when behind the bigger vehicles. Got those tires only 1700 miles ago so thought it was the newness, someone suggested tire pressure so I've tried lowering by a couple PSI. First only the rear and it seemed to help, so lowered front too. Helped more.

I'm using a Craftsman portable digital readout compressor with preset auto shutoff, it has always been a couple PSI above the final readout (shut-off) but I think it is basically accurate when compressor stops.

I might try another drop in PSI just to find out if it improves the high speed handling, which again is only a problem while behind a big truck or lots of traffic on the freeway.

My windshield is probably a major factor, a CVS Sporty (17") that's close in size to the small OEM one. I believe it's wider though. Except it only seems to cause a tilting or swaying in the traffic air turbulence.
Absolutely nothing wrong with it in clear air, and normal tire pressures of 36 F and 40 R.

When I had the Kenda tires I didn't try different pressures but the same type of wobble did happen sometimes, just not as much as how the MCII's do it.
I think it was changing when I refilled and after losing a little pressure over time (week or two).

I never considered the "wobble" to be much of anything until the MCII's made it more apparent. With the Kenda's it was more like a side to side slide of the front wheel. And if not for the freeway and sometimes highway traffic it would never be noticed either, the Scout was very stable otherwise. It doesn't really happen enough to notice while passing, it's when behind a big truck by anywhere from 100 to 300 feet (yes, that far!) that it gets bad.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I used to get a lot of buffeting on my handlebar or fork mounted windshields, it's kinda expected since you're mounting the windshield on a moving part of the bike. I found that if the shield I am using allows for a tilt adjustment, I can usually find a spot (through trial and error) to get the least amount of buffeting. I never really noticed it getting better or worse as I changed tires, but it makes sense, different tread patterns and compounds and all. Don't currently run a shield on my Bobber but I do know if I drop the front tire pressure too much I get some serious vibration in the right grip. Good luck and be careful

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has some insight , what has been your experiences with the tires the scout came with — and what brand do you like ? Why? Ive made my decision but im interested in learning as much as i can
Most on this forum like the Michelin Commanders ll, good traction, longer wear. Or the Pirelli Night Dragons, more traction, wear faster. Do a search on this forum. I think there was a vote box. I believe more picked the Michelin.
Answer you seek, link you click.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Answer you seek, link you click.
Hey, thats a great thread - im going to go through that in detail. It however only compares two brands,as i said im looking for a discussion on any experiences with tires . I haven’t seen a thread by searching that covers everything. Not that its not there but im going to leave this one - theres already some interesting tangential comments.

It is good though! Thanks for the link

·
Registered
543 Posts
I got a Commander 2 on the rear after I replaced the Kenda at 12K. So far all good. Still running the Kenda on the front. When it wears out I'll throw a commander on there.

Reactions: CanadianRydz705

·
Registered
439 Posts
At 2,700 miles my rear stock Kenda was past the wear markers. I highly recommend contacting Indian for help, myself and another person I know have both received $200 gift certificates.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts