Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tire (not tyre lmao) pressure on a RM. What does it suppose to be? My back specifically showed low, pumped in to 40 lbs, light was gone but now runs up to 49 lbs when its heated up. So what do they suppose to be cold and hot?

·
Founding member
2,059 Posts
The manual states that all tire pressures are to be taken when the tires are cold. It is common knowledge that tires will heat up and that will cause pressures to rise - but the designers/engineers take that into consideration when they set the cold pressure setting. Set it per the manual when cold and don't worry about it.

And by the way ... tyre is the preferred spelling outside of North America. There are a lot of owners on this site who are from Europe & Australia.

·
Registered
14 Posts
G'day,

I have a Roadmaster and run the front tyre - I am from Australia - at 38psi and the rear at 42psi both cold pressures, yes they increase in pressure when riding but I ignore what I being told tyre pressure wise when riding the motorcycle. You know, ignoring things that I either don't like or understand has got me through life really well.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
G'day,

I have a Roadmaster and run the front tyre - I am from Australia - at 38psi and the rear at 42psi both cold pressures, yes they increase in pressure when riding but I ignore what I being told tyre pressure wise when riding the motorcycle. You know, ignoring things that I either don't like or understand has got me through life really well.
B e careful some of these guys spell tyre funny lol. :eek::cool: I found out today it is spelt Tire lol so from today on I am going to write Tyre/ Tire haha!! :D:eek::rolleyes:;)

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Tire (not tyre lmao) pressure on a RM. What does it suppose to be? My back specifically showed low, pumped in to 40 lbs, light was gone but now runs up to 49 lbs when its heated up. So what do they suppose to be cold and hot?
Don't be alarmed when the rest tyre/ tire, temp. goes up to around the 50 psi after riding for a while .the exhaust generates a lot of heat and it can get trapped between the saddle bags and exhaust giving you the higher reading. Nothing to worry about as long as you start off with the cold psi close too 40 . Good luck and enjoy

·
Rider
709 Posts
1 lb. per 10 deg change in ambient temp. Then factor in heat coming off the pavement GVW sidewalls flexing in tight corners etc, It all adds up. That’s why you check them in the morning. 42 rear 40 front. I’ll see 52-53lbs in the rear throughout the day depending on how much weight I’m packing, concrete vs pavement, ambient temps. The front 44-46

1 - 8 of 8 Posts