Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my Chieftain to the dealer to have my GPS hard wired to the battery today. On the way home the tire pressure warning light came on but the pressures read 40 front, 45 rear. The only unusual condition was that it was fairly cold (upper 30's). I stopped for gas and the warning light didn't come on again.
Any ideas why the warning light would come on even though the pressures read 40 and 45?

·
Registered
765 Posts
I would guess the pressures were low to begin with because of the cold temps and as you rode the tires heated up which increased the pressure.

Check them when cold before you ride to see what they are at.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I agree that the tire monitors take a minute to get calibrated. I find mine go up about 5 degrees while riding here. I had one light go on for a 34 pressure but when I restarted the bike it didn't come back on but I put a couple pounds in and never saw it again in 3000 miles. The great thing is we have the monitors which I think will make people more sensitive to tire pressure and help tires last longer....

·
Registered
54 Posts
My TPS was always showing warnings until the last ECU reflash in December. Seems to have solved a bunch of those problems, eliminated the BTO, and maybe improved stereo reception (I know -crazy).

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
My TPS was always showing warnings until the last ECU reflash in December. Seems to have solved a bunch of those problems, eliminated the BTO, and maybe improved stereo reception (I know -crazy).
I think your correct, I had that reflash, and things seemed different, holidays and cold weather prevented me from testing more than a couple hundred miles, but I was having all kinds of errant electronic issues b-4 the flash.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I have had computer update for air cleaner and stage one but today when I went out the tire monitor came on and tire pressure was 34 and 35. After 5 miles it was at 37 and 38 but light was on until is stopped for gas and turned it off. On restart there wasn't any light on. I wonder if the system reacts to start up condition then keeps that view until you restart it. Lot a big deal as long as we have close to right pressure. On warm days after riding an hour I find both tires go up about 5 pounds. In any case this bike seems to sit as long as the indian is near it.
image.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts