Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Tire mounting price.

1783 41
I contacted a few shops to get quotes on how much it would cost to get the front tire mounted, and to be honest the prices floored me! Do these prices look normal to you?
Dealer wheel on bike $125, $75 wheel off of the bike.
Local shop #1 $75 wheel off the bike.
Local shop #2 $50 wheel off the bike.

This seems insane to me when I have had four large tires put on my Jeep for less!
Reactions: Derf
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Based on my knowledge of "tire shops" there are none I know I would trust to mount a motorcycle tire. I'm happy to hear though that you have one that did not cause issues, it's rare. I've seen these guys ruin auto wheels, atv, motorcycle and even farm wheels with regularity. The guy busting the tires is usually the lowest paid and least educated. That has not changed in decades.
The shop I got on for this is a small shop and the guy that does MC tires is the co-owner. If he messes it up, he buys a new rim. And they let you watch the whole evolution. I’ve had 6 tires done there and not a scratch or issue. All they do is tires, so no sales clerk taking my rim and tire to the back and trying to do it.

·
Bronze member
4,070 Posts
Boy,you guys are getting a deal and a half on your tire changes.Every time mine need changing,the guy who does the work [no names please,lol] charges me 100 bucks an hour to remove the wheel,R+R and balance the tire,then put it back on my scooter.I think I'm gonna put a contract out on that SOB!! Whadaya think??? lol lol

·
Registered
2021 Roadmaster DH in White Smoke
256 Posts
Just paid $60 for mount and balance with the wheel removed at a local bike shop. I haven't had it done, but they charge $125 for mount and balance for a rear tire on the bike.

I don't even want to get into what the dealer was going to charge me for buying the tire and installing it. I saved $150 buying the same tire and having it mounted locally.

·
Registered
2021 Indian Springfield
177 Posts
FYI my local Indian dealership, Friendship Motor Sports in Bristol, VA, advertises free mounting if tires are bought from them. I haven't needed to check their tire prices yet, but I expect I'll do it all through them when it's time for tires.

·
Registered
418 Posts
$100 Tire on..$75 Tire off. I always buy my tires a few months in advance. It makes the mounting cost hurt less. Cruisetec's are $352 a set.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Synthetic rubber Tread

·
Registered
418 Posts
I guess where I am getting lost is I have had to have tires changed on most of the cars and trucks that I have owned. All were mounted and high speed balanced and I have never seen one take longer than 12/15 mins so I am confused as to why it would take longer to do a bike tire.
Throw your bike on a lift & do it yourself. Then you'll get the right perspective.

·
Bronze member
4,070 Posts
It takes a tad longer to remove the tire and wheel assenbly from a motorcycle compared to removing a tire and wheel assembly from a car or light truck.I can R+R four tires on a four wheeler in less time then I takes to R+R one tire on a two wheeler!!

·
Rider
1,351 Posts
I contacted a few shops to get quotes on how much it would cost to get the front tire mounted, and to be honest the prices floored me! Do these prices look normal to you?
Dealer wheel on bike $125, $75 wheel off of the bike.
Local shop #1 $75 wheel off the bike.
Local shop #2 $50 wheel off the bike.

This seems insane to me when I have had four large tires put on my Jeep for less!
Get yourself a table lift and mount your own. If you ride a lot and replace 2 or 3 tires a year it’ll pay for itself pretty darn quick. Most deslers squeeze every nickle they can out of tires. A 35% mark up on a chrome bobble 60-70% on tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Chief DarkHorse
296 Posts
@DDBCK has the right idea. Do it yourself and you will get some perspective
.much easier to take car tires off than Motorcycle tires. How much is your time and safety worth? Especially if you don't have a garage to work in and live in a townhome complex

·
Rider
1,792 Posts
Okay, here's the deal. It's called "Capitalism" and it is fueled by "supply and demand."

If you don't like the price store A is selling their goods and services for, simply don't go there. There is almost always going to be a store B around somewhere.

Also, you could always do it yourself.

Lastly, not sure where you are and what dealerships there are around you, but every single Ride Now dealer that I've ever been to offers the "Free Tire Install" and the last time I got mine replaced, they matched the online price for the tires. (And they do for any model of bike, not just Indians. And, no, I am not - nor is any of my family - officiated with Ride Now dealership.)

BD

Reactions: Surfcast23

·
Registered
29 Posts
$40-50 to mount and balence is what everyone around here is charging, wheel off the bike for several years. I have done a dozen or more in the last two years for friends and I won't spoon them off unless it's a chrome steel spoke rim. All the aluminum wheels I send them to someone with a tire machine.
I was in Sturgis this year and decided I wanted Metzler 888's so I went to JP Cycle. They had an Indy in there back parking lot changing tires. They were very cheap in my book so I had them change them. $150 for both tires mounted and balenced on the bike. I didn't have to do it myself as I planned on and got to look at some pretty women and have a couple of beers while it was being done. It took an hour. They inspected the bearings and will not let a bike go with bad bearings. I tipped the guy $20 before went he was rolling my bike to the lift. I was very happy. So if y'all are going to Sturgis ( I'm sure they do it in Daytona also) keep that in mind. Oh and Jp Cycle charged the same for the tires as their everyday price online no rally markup's.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts