Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Tire mounting price.

2032 41
I contacted a few shops to get quotes on how much it would cost to get the front tire mounted, and to be honest the prices floored me! Do these prices look normal to you?
Dealer wheel on bike $125, $75 wheel off of the bike.
Local shop #1 $75 wheel off the bike.
Local shop #2 $50 wheel off the bike.

This seems insane to me when I have had four large tires put on my Jeep for less!
Reactions: Derf
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long does it take to replace the front tire on a bike? Here’s what’s involved: put bike on lift, strap down, unbolt axle and pinch bolts, remove both brake calipers, remove axle and wheel, dismount tire, mount new tire, remove old wheel weights, balance tire, put wheel back on, reinstall calipers, torque everything to spec, and test ride. I’d say that’s at least an hour. If your IM’s labor rate is $100-125/hr., and they’re charging you $125, that seems reasonable.
Okay maybe it could take an hour if on the bike, but the $75 and $50 for a wheel that's off the bike is just ridiculous.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very reasonable all around. They likely have several grand invested in a tire machine to not mess up your wheel. If its ridiculous why not just do it yourself if you have the wheel off anyway?
Because I don't have the equipment to balance. And I'm sorry $75 to change a tire that's off of the bike is just insane IMO, it can't take more than 20mins. As I said in original post I have paid this or less to have all four tires changed on my Jeep.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Surfcast23 $50-75 is about 30 to 45 min of labor to remove the old tire & wheel weights, mount new tire, & balance. I’m sure they’re also charging you a tire disposal fee. Plus, the shop(s) might have a minimum labor charge for any work.
The indy shop said that I take the old tire with me don't know about the other shop or the dealership.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Surfcast23 $50-75

Regarding how much you paid to have the tires changed on your Jeep, do this: remove one wheel on your Jeep and then remove the front wheel on your motorcycle. See which one takes much longer. Secondly, you weren't paying a motorcycle shop’s labor rate to have your Jeep tires installed.
The $75 and $50 were for the wheel off of the bike I can't imagine swapping tires and balancing taking longer than 15mins if the wheel is off of the bike.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess where I am getting lost is I have had to have tires changed on most of the cars and trucks that I have owned. All were mounted and high speed balanced and I have never seen one take longer than 12/15 mins so I am confused as to why it would take longer to do a bike tire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts