Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I contacted a few shops to get quotes on how much it would cost to get the front tire mounted, and to be honest the prices floored me! Do these prices look normal to you?
Dealer wheel on bike $125, $75 wheel off of the bike.
Local shop #1 $75 wheel off the bike.
Local shop #2 $50 wheel off the bike.

This seems insane to me when I have had four large tires put on my Jeep for less!

· Super Moderator
2020 Challenger
4,046 Posts
I contacted a few shops to get quotes on how much it would cost to get the front tire mounted, and to be honest the prices floored me! Do these prices look normal to you?
Dealer wheel on bike $125, $75 wheel off of the bike.
Local shop #1 $75 wheel off the bike.
Local shop #2 $50 wheel off the bike.

This seems insane to me when I have had four large tires put on my Jeep for less!
How long does it take to replace the front tire on a bike? Here’s what’s involved: put bike on lift, strap down, unbolt axle and pinch bolts, remove both brake calipers, remove axle and wheel, dismount tire, mount new tire, remove old wheel weights, balance tire, put wheel back on, reinstall calipers, torque everything to spec, and test ride. I’d say that’s at least an hour. If your IM’s labor rate is $100-125/hr., and they’re charging you $125, that seems reasonable.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long does it take to replace the front tire on a bike? Here’s what’s involved: put bike on lift, strap down, unbolt axle and pinch bolts, remove both brake calipers, remove axle and wheel, dismount tire, mount new tire, remove old wheel weights, balance tire, put wheel back on, reinstall calipers, torque everything to spec, and test ride. I’d say that’s at least an hour. If your IM’s labor rate is $100-125/hr., and they’re charging you $125, that seems reasonable.
Okay maybe it could take an hour if on the bike, but the $75 and $50 for a wheel that's off the bike is just ridiculous.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very reasonable all around. They likely have several grand invested in a tire machine to not mess up your wheel. If its ridiculous why not just do it yourself if you have the wheel off anyway?
Because I don't have the equipment to balance. And I'm sorry $75 to change a tire that's off of the bike is just insane IMO, it can't take more than 20mins. As I said in original post I have paid this or less to have all four tires changed on my Jeep.

· Super Moderator
2020 Challenger
4,046 Posts
@Surfcast23 $50-75 is about 30 to 45 min of labor to remove the old tire & wheel weights, mount new tire, & balance. I’m sure they’re also charging you a tire disposal fee. Plus, the shop(s) might have a minimum labor charge for any work.

Regarding how much you paid to have the tires changed on your Jeep, do this: remove one wheel on your Jeep and then remove the front wheel on your motorcycle. See which one takes much longer. Secondly, you weren't paying a motorcycle shop’s labor rate to have your Jeep tires installed.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Surfcast23 $50-75 is about 30 to 45 min of labor to remove the old tire & wheel weights, mount new tire, & balance. I’m sure they’re also charging you a tire disposal fee. Plus, the shop(s) might have a minimum labor charge for any work.
The indy shop said that I take the old tire with me don't know about the other shop or the dealership.

· Registered
570 Posts
Because I don't have the equipment to balance. And I'm sorry $75 to change a tire that's off of the bike is just insane IMO, it can't take more than 20mins. As I said in original post I have paid this or less to have all four tires changed on my Jeep.
You can buy one from HF for 49.00 or lay out $150 for a slightly better one. It will take longer to mount and balance than 20 minutes. If they do any match mounting at all it's a bargain.

Everything TigerGA said is spot on.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Surfcast23 $50-75

Regarding how much you paid to have the tires changed on your Jeep, do this: remove one wheel on your Jeep and then remove the front wheel on your motorcycle. See which one takes much longer. Secondly, you weren't paying a motorcycle shop’s labor rate to have your Jeep tires installed.
The $75 and $50 were for the wheel off of the bike I can't imagine swapping tires and balancing taking longer than 15mins if the wheel is off of the bike.

· Registered
570 Posts
My local tire shop charges $30 off the bike. They won’t take it off the bike. I have used a Cycle gear before and took the tire and rim to them and it was $50, so I would say $50 is reasonable since that’s been a few years for me.
Based on my knowledge of "tire shops" there are none I know I would trust to mount a motorcycle tire. I'm happy to hear though that you have one that did not cause issues, it's rare. I've seen these guys ruin auto wheels, atv, motorcycle and even farm wheels with regularity. The guy busting the tires is usually the lowest paid and least educated. That has not changed in decades.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess where I am getting lost is I have had to have tires changed on most of the cars and trucks that I have owned. All were mounted and high speed balanced and I have never seen one take longer than 12/15 mins so I am confused as to why it would take longer to do a bike tire.

· Registered
570 Posts
I guess where I am getting lost is I have had to have tires changed on most of the cars and trucks that I have owned. All were mounted and high speed balanced and I have never seen one take longer than 12/15 mins so I am confused as to why it would take longer to do a bike tire.
There are many reasons, the best explanation may be in the form of a question. Have you had your motorcycle oil changed at a dealer and compared it to your car oil change? It's going to be 2-4 x the price. They get like $4-500 for a 5000 mile service. There is about 10,000 x more volume in car tires than motorcycle tires plus a tire shop in every town.

I think changing the tire on your own would find the answers you are seeking. You'll find it's not a 12/15 minute job. You can always have them balance it, buy a cheap balancer, match mount it, run without or run beads, dust or ride-on like some on this forum are doing.

· Registered
21 scout bobber 60 abs (the Mistress)
676 Posts
Whole different process, arrange to watch someone do it before you complain!

· Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse, 2021 Vintage, 2019 FTR-RR, 2021 Scout Bobber, 1977 Yamaha XS750
1,675 Posts
My local shop charges $40 for a tire change off the bike.
But I get a better deal on the tire and mounting if I purchase the new tires through his shop rather than buying them myself on line. I recently had him order a set of Pirelli Night Dragons for my Chief and he charged me less for the tires than the Revzilla price.

· Registered
2019 Roadmaster
485 Posts
Take pretty much any part or service, and the cost for a motorcycle will be 3x-4x what the same item would cost for a car.

Been that way since I started riding 30 years ago.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts