Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 6800 miles on the stock tires of my 2018 RM I just bought this past September. Will probably put another couple thousand on by May, so the bike should have between 8,000 and 9,000 miles on it at that time. In May, I'm headed out on a 3 week, 7,000 mile cross country trip and that should put the end mileage up to about 16,000 miles. I hate to change tires before I head out on the trip if the tires are in decent shape and have only 9k miles on them. On the other hand, I don't want to end up having to waste time getting new tires put on during the trip either. So that's the reason I'm trying to find out how many miles people are getting on the original stock Dunlops? I always got 18k -21k on my RoadStar, even riding aggresively, but not sure what to expect on the Roadmaster. Thanks in advance for your help/thoughts/recommendations.

-Wayne
Head Rectangle Font Art Signage

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had a !8 RM and got just under 20K on the rear stock Dunlop E3 tire. I have now a 20 RM and changed out the stock E3 at 18500 miles before I left on a 4k mile trip and still had some tread left.

·
Rider
610 Posts
Changed my rear at 15k and the front at 20k. Both still had several thousand miles more, but figured get it done while the bike was in for service

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have about 6800 miles on the stock tires of my 2018 RM I just bought this past September. Will probably put another couple thousand on by May, so the bike should have between 8,000 and 9,000 miles on it at that time. In May, I'm headed out on a 3 week, 7,000 mile cross country trip and that should put the end mileage up to about 16,000 miles. I hate to change tires before I head out on the trip if the tires are in decent shape and have only 9k miles on them. On the other hand, I don't want to end up having to waste time getting new tires put on during the trip either. So that's the reason I'm trying to find out how many miles people are getting on the original stock Dunlops? I always got 18k -21k on my RoadStar, even riding aggresively, but not sure what to expect on the Roadmaster. Thanks in advance for your help/thoughts/recommendations.

-Wayne
View attachment 667355
One other thing that you need to consider is new tire availability, check with your local dealership, there has been a wide variance on who has what in stock. Safety on a long trip starts with new tires, keep your old ones as spares at home. Concern about whether your tires can make it will take the fun and dependability out of your trip. Larry

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,658 Posts
I got around 10-12 on my Chieftain and Roadmaster.

It all depends on how hard you ride. I changed the tires at 10K a little early becase I was getting ready for a trip and didn't want to worry about it. I also had to replace my front brake pads at 10k as well. If you don't accelerate, brake, and turn hard your tires will last longer than if you do. Either way it's still cheaper than a psychologist ;)

One other thing is how far down you take your tire as well. I personally go until the wear indicator is even. Others a little before that. Then there are the ones that say they get 25K out of their tires. But when you look at them you see cords! IMO they probably got 15-20K out of their tires; the other 5-10K they got out of their guardian angle.

·
Silver member
3,588 Posts
I’d change them if it were me. I like the confidence of good tires to begin a long trip. I never get more than around 10k on tires.

Reactions: RiderRoy

·
Bronze member
3,641 Posts
for me front 20K back 12K... sounds low compared to everyone else but it's the best mileage I've ever gotten on a bike

·
Bronze member
3,129 Posts
Lots of variables to consider when comparing your tire wear to others: weight of rider, type of aggregate used in road construction in your area, riding one-up vs. two-up, how aggressive do you accelerate and brake, do you ride hills and twisties, etc. I got about 20k from my RM tires.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One other thing that you need to consider is new tire availability, check with your local dealership, there has been a wide variance on who has what in stock. Safety on a long trip starts with new tires, keep your old ones as spares at home. Concern about whether your tires can make it will take the fun and dependability out of your trip. Larry
Good point. I've done that in the past and have ended up with a number of old (quasi-good) tires dry rotting in my garage. I've lost a lot of money on those. It sound like most everyone is getting over to well-over 16k out of their stock tires, so I'll take a good look at tread depth before the trip and make a decision. Thanks for the input though - very helpful!

Wayne
Rectangle Yellow Font Plant Wood

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got around 10-12 on my Chieftain and Roadmaster.

It all depends on how hard you ride. I changed the tires at 10K a little early becase I was getting ready for a trip and didn't want to worry about it. I also had to replace my front brake pads at 10k as well. If you don't accelerate, brake, and turn hard your tires will last longer than if you do. Either way it's still cheaper than a psychologist ;)

One other thing is how far down you take your tire as well. I personally go until the wear indicator is even. Others a little before that. Then there are the ones that say they get 25K out of their tires. But when you look at them you see cords! IMO they probably got 15-20K out of their tires; the other 5-10K they got out of their guardian angle.
I've always ridden hard. Rode my RoadStar like a sport bike and have nearly ground off the bottoms of the floor boards. Haven't been dragging the boards on the RM much yet, but manage to do it pretty much daily. That being said, I almost always got about 20k miles out of whatever tires I used on the RoadStar, but then again - I'm one of those people that gets their money's worth out of tires ;-)

Thanks!
Wayne

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’d change them if it were me. I like the confidence of good tires to begin a long trip. I never get more than around 10k on tires.
Thanks - hate to hear that but most people seem to be saying they're getting at least 16k. I appreciate the head's up though and I'll keep the advice in mind..

Thanks,
Wayne

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lots of variables to consider when comparing your tire wear to others: weight of rider, type of aggregate used in road construction in your area, riding one-up vs. two-up, how aggressive do you accelerate and brake, do you ride hills and twisties, etc. I got about 20k from my RM tires.
Agreed and I do or run into all of the above except ride 2-up - have no interest in that - changes the ergonomics of riding too much. I'm not an interstate type of rider - always prefer back roads. The hills and twisties are where all the fun is!

Thanks,
Wayne

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

-Wayne
View attachment 667355
To everyone, I just re-read the guidelines for forum conduct and saw something i missed when i read it initially: no gifs/videos/etc in signatures. I've always used my "business card" in signatures before on forums and this is the first place I've ever run into this restriction, so my apologies to everyone if I've violated the rules. I won't use it in future posts (even though people have always gotten a kick out of it). A little history for anyone interested: I love old Westerns and "Have Gun - Will Travel" has always been my favorite (I have the entire series on DVD, holsters with the Paladin emblem on them, the theme from the show is my ring tone on my cell, and much more). I was given the Road name Paladin decades ago by some fellow Riders because of my love for the series and the slogan just seemed to fit riding, thus the "business" card image (and yes, this is an actual business card I made up and give out to people I meet on the Road).

Thanks,
Wayne
"Have Bike - Will Travel"

·
Registered
59 Posts

-Wayne
View attachment 667355
Sorry, wish I could help with your question. I do have a question for you though: How in the world did you get 20k miles out a tire on the Road Star? I had one and did not get more than about 10k ever. I do not consider myself a particularly aggressive rider either.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry, wish I could help with your question. I do have a question for you though: How in the world did you get 20k miles out a tire on the Road Star? I had one and did not get more than about 10k ever. I do not consider myself a particularly aggressive rider either.
Interesting, had 110,000 mi on the road star and never got under 18,000 MI to a set of tires. Used several different brands. For a long time I used Metzler me880s and me888s. Right now I've got a shinko 777 on the front, but only have a couple thousand miles on that so far. Have used some other brands too. But again I've never gotten under 18,000 miles and have gotten as much as 24,000 mi.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts