Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I have noticed a small cut on my rear tire tread, with what looks like a small rock shard in the cut. I was able to remove a part of this material and it did crumble pretty easily. The cut is 1.8mm (1/16")deep. The sipe depth is 5mm(6/32"). I am most likely going to change the tire, but I want to know how significant is this type of damage, for future reference and learning purposes. Its possibly a common occurence and I am over-reacting.
The tire is not leaking air.
The tire is a Michelin Commander II with 11k miles on it.
Thanks for your input.
TIRE

·
Bronze member
1,895 Posts
I'd wait to replace the tire once it finally wears out. I've had dozens of tires that had small cuts that were less than the depth of the sipes and as long as those cuts were not on the sidewalls, the tires were good to go.

Soft compound tires are more prone to cuts and surface damage due to the very nature of the rubber compound.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
As long as the cut hasn't intruded into the belt, you're fine. The tread doesn't hold the air. It is what you ride on.

Great job being vigilant on your tire condition.

Shop for a sale, order a tire at your liesure and have it handy when you need it.

I like to order early so I can find good deals and not be pressed for time when a great ride is coming up!

·
Rider
943 Posts
Ride on it the cut is 1/3 of the sipe depth there is no danger at this time of a leak from that spot. As stated by Notaharley it's not to the belts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts