Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What to do?

Before taking the Scout 60 out today I noticed that there was a balance weight on the garage floor; it seems to have fallen off the rear wheel. It's just over 300 miles since my dealer fitted the Michelin Commander 2s. Do I take it back and insist that he check and rebalance the back wheel, which is not a small job on a belt driven bike? Do I take it back and ask him to stick it back where I think it came from? Do I try to stick it back myself with something? Or do I just forget it? I really didn't notice any difference in handling today, but I'm not sure if an out of balance wheel strains and wears other things out.

I'd value your thoughts.

·
Registered
955 Posts
do you know for sure where it was on the rim? If so you could get your dealer to fit another weight where this one was. I think you need a new weight or new adhesive anyway, or it will come off again.

My dealer balances the rear just because I ask him to, but he thinks it makes no difference on the rear. So if I wasn't sure where the missing weight was located I'd take them all off (the rear!) and try that. Don't know what dealer's line would be about a whole new balancing process, he may say it was fitted correctly and something knocked it off ... ???

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Wow, it just fell off?
I'm surprised that you cannot find some small indicator of where it was on the wheel.
Look real close again.... just maybe you might get lucky and find some clue of where it came from.
Are you thinking front or rear?
If you can find something you might have saved yourself a trip to the dealer.
If you can't find where it goes (are you sure it is off the bike) I would definitely get it re-balanced in the near future.
Whether you can get the dealer which you have had problems with in the past to eat his mistake is up for grabs......

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was lying by the rear wheel and it looks the same type of weight as the others on the rear wheel. I think I can see where it came from, but I can't be 100% sure. I had the same thing happen once with a Guzzi, and the dealer happily took the wheel off again and rebalanced it. I don't think this dealer will be so accommodating, especially with a belt driven bike.

·
10,006 Posts
do you know for sure where it was on the rim? If so you could get your dealer to fit another weight where this one was. I think you need a new weight or new adhesive anyway, or it will come off again.

My dealer balances the rear just because I ask him to, but he thinks it makes no difference on the rear. So if I wasn't sure where the missing weight was located I'd take them all off (the rear!) and try that. Don't know what dealer's line would be about a whole new balancing process, he may say it was fitted correctly and something knocked it off ... ???
Your dealer must be an idiot if thinks that rear wheel balancing isn't necessary.
If it rolls on the road, it needs to be balanced... not only harmonically but dynamically on a motorcycle if you wanted to get the full benefits of an electronic wheel balancer...
But at the very least by a bubble balancer or a gravity balancer.

·
Founding member
570 Posts
Or you could take off all the weights and run balancing beads, and never worry about it again. I hate the look of weights.

·
10,006 Posts
Or you could take off all the weights and run balancing beads, and never worry about it again. I hate the look of weights.
Well, that is an interesting option. I don't think I've heard of them before.
Oh WOW! :eek:o_O
Isn't that the same bad information your dealer recommended.... Is @Ratfiink2 your dealer? ;):):p:D

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh WOW! :eek:o_O
Isn't that the same bad information your dealer recommended.... Is @Ratfiink2 your dealer? ;):):p:D
Having been out and tested the limits of the bike today, I really can't tell any difference from normal. Most of the balance weights are still there; it's only a 10g one. My inclination is to wait for the 2,500 mile check over and perhaps get the wheel rebalanced then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts