Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on my Chieftain kick stand up.. I proceeded to back her up in neutral and I guess I turned the wheel to much to one side.i don’t even know what happens but Before I knew it she started to tip over to the right side. I immediately tried turning my handlebars to the left and tried to hold her up as much as I could. But I couldn’t hold the weight with my right leg. I let her down as smooth as I could. I proceeded to straddle off the bike. I was devastated. But some how the bike has no damage that I can see. The handlebars, hard bags, engine guards and mufflers didn’t even get a scratch. . It was like the whole bike was leaned over and resting on the frame underneath right footboard. This is the only damage i can see. Do i have to worry about the frame rusting now at that spot. Is this where I would drag in deep corners anyway?? I was just happy I didn’t see no visible damage. I’m lucky but now I have to get over anxiety when I get back on her. Any opinions or suggestions. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Yep, that is where you would scrape in corners. They are heavy cast iron and no worries about rust problems. Polaris got the engineering right on these parts.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Willy don’t let your wife/girlfriend read your comments. With that thinking you need to trade them in too. Funny guy

·
Rider
958 Posts
I agree with WillyH, probably bike is worth less the 9K after this. Lucky for you I'm in the market for a used, dropped once, chieftain, and because you're a member on this great forum, I'm willing to buy it for 10K even. You're welcome.

Oh, I'm also a Nigerian prince, and need your bank account.....etc.

·
Silver member
3,845 Posts
Willy don’t let your wife/girlfriend read your comments. With that thinking you need to trade them in too. Funny guy
I almost lost mine to the garage floor yesterday. Had the ol' Vintage up on the jack for a part swap at the shift shaft. In a hurry for a test ride and lowered bike down without thinking or paying attention. Tires settle on the garage floor, and the bike began leaning to the right as soon as I got the jack out of the way. Took all I had to get'r upright and lean to the left onto the kickstand. Luckily no harm done but it skert the chit out'a me!!. So, I feel the OPs pain. Good thing I made the save, I can't afford a new bike right now :oops:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Did the same thing on a Chieftain Elite at a demo ride in front of the entire group. :) I was going to straighten her up and went to back up a bit and to the right, 2 seconds and it' was over.
Once these big girls start tipping it's over. No damage to the bike just my ego.
One of the crew members walked over and lifter her up. Pretty sure he left his jewels on the ground. :)

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
when we first moved to the island we were exploring side roads looking for land to build on. went down a road more than a mile long of freshly graveled . coming back went into a hole that was about 6 to 10 inch deep, luckly the crash bars saved us from damage to bike. the hard part was getting out of the hole .
that was on a road king, so far indian has not touched the ground.

·
Bronze member
2,661 Posts
I was on my Chieftain kick stand up.. I proceeded to back her up in neutral and I guess I turned the wheel to much to one side.i don’t even know what happens but Before I knew it she started to tip over to the right side. I immediately tried turning my handlebars to the left and tried to hold her up as much as I could. But I couldn’t hold the weight with my right leg. I let her down as smooth as I could. I proceeded to straddle off the bike. I was devastated. But some how the bike has no damage that I can see. The handlebars, hard bags, engine guards and mufflers didn’t even get a scratch. . It was like the whole bike was leaned over and resting on the frame underneath right footboard. This is the only damage i can see. Do i have to worry about the frame rusting now at that spot. Is this where I would drag in deep corners anyway?? I was just happy I didn’t see no visible damage. I’m lucky but now I have to get over anxiety when I get back on her. Any opinions or suggestions. Thanks.

Yup!! Been there and done that,just like a HUGE number of other guys I know.Ya feel like a real DUH! :oops:And then,ya look around ya to see who,if anyone, saw ya drop it.:eek:Most embarrassing,but more common then ya might think!!But since ya didn't suffer any real damage,ya did well!!;)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Dang ... I've leaned my bike over three times now. Every time I managed to hit the brake and do it ever so gently. I didn't get damage any of the three times.

The last time was at 5am, and the seat had a little condensation on it, and after putting the kickstand up, I twisted to my right to get my safety glasses out of the saddlebag .... whoopsie! She leaned over on the left side.

I felt like such a dummy.

But I got over it.

No one else was awake at that hour to see it!

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
First of all you are ok and not hurt.well may be your feelings and pride a bit. The next thing is we all do it at least once ,some more than others.I have done it once with a brand new BMW K1600GTL when a arse wipe turned in front of me and I had no were to go stopped quickly put my foot down and with no grip on my boots and loose gravel under them it went down.The damage was all plastic and over $10,000 AUD worth of plastic bits gone west. These days I make sure I wear shoes or boots that have a gripping sole, if I reverse I do it and pay attention every time. Taking out bikes off and putting them back onto the side stands can be one time you really need to pay attention ,especially when your like me shorter than a garden gnome 5`6`` little legs that need to stretch too allow the side stand to be moved one way or the other. I move forward to make sure the foot can reach to take my bike off the side stand and I have a firm grip with my left leg. So my friend don't feel bad about doing what each and everyone of us has done at least once .The main thing to take from this is that you and the bike are ok. With my Road Master weighing in at 422 kg and me at 74 kg I have no hope in the world if it starts to drop to one side it will fall with the force of Nigagra Falls and me with the force of a centre pee lol. So I would just drop it and save any injury to my self.

All the best ,so glad you and the bike are ok take care and move slower when moving our big arse bikes around at slow speeds.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts