Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night we had some pretty gnarly winds here in Texas and my Darkhorse got blown over. I didn't see it until this morning, I live in an apartment, and I cant get it to fire up now. I have power, but it does not sound like the fuel pump is kicking on and I'm getting nothing from the starter. Any ideas on how to reset the tip over sensor/switch/whatever the heck it's called?

·
Rider
610 Posts
When I had to reset mine, I had to cycle the power on button twice. Hit power button on, turn off, then on again. Make sure the kill switch isn't engaged too. Good luck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alrighty, tried that and it did nothing...disconnected the battery and waited then reconnected it and still no love.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm thinking at least one of the breakers may have tripped. I know at least one did so I'll get replacements tomorrow when the dealership opens up. Hopefully that's all it is.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
The tip over sensor sets the check engine light but it clears when you turn the ignition off and on again. It's not normally a problem like you describe.

Can you get a fault code from the readout? That will tell you what's happened. Fault codes are sometimes cleared on a single off/on and sometimes they take five on/off cycles. If you try to start the bike and it won't do anything it should set a new code that you can check.

There is a phone app called Indian Diagnostics that will tell you the fault when you enter the number.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll see if I can get a code pulled tomorrow. As it stands right now I'll have to buy at least one relay as it did not survive the extraction.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Replaced the relay today and still a no go. No codes are showing, no check engine light, no fuel pump kicking in, just the sound of the throttle body doing throttle body things before start up and all the normal lights. Stood the bike up and rocked it from side to side a few times, mashed the power button multiple times, flipped the kill switch multiple times, disconnected the battery for about an hour and reconnected and still nothing. Only thing left is to take it to the dealership I guess. When I spoke with them today while picking up the relay, the service department stated that the tip sensor can sometimes get stuck and something about replacement parts and reprogramming the ECU. Kind of a bummer but is what it is.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whelp, the good new is that we already reported it to insurance and it'll take the hit under comprehensive since it was weather related. The bad news...I got impatient, found the tip over switch, removed it, shook it a little and tapped on it to see if i could "unstick" it. Darn thing flew apart on me so i tried to gather up all the pieces, looked to be a white case, a circuit board, and a black end cap. I think I gathered all the pieces(?) reassembled it plugged it back in and Gizmo did NOT like that. I hit the power button and every dang light came on, hazard lights included and they would not shut off with the power button or hazard switch. I then disconnected the negative battery terminal and in the process ended up dropping the terminal screw somewhere down in the nether regions of the bike, I did not hear it hit the pavement so it's in there somewhere. It was at this point that I gathered all the screws, placed everything back on the bike, shut down the flashlight and decided that I needed to stop. Admittedly, my stopping point should have been WAAAAYYYYY before then. For the time being I guess I'm stuck riding the Z-125. Curious to see if it'll still be covered under comprehensive now. 😶

·
Bronze member
3,128 Posts
Whelp, the good new is that we already reported it to insurance and it'll take the hit under comprehensive since it was weather related. The bad news...I got impatient, found the tip over switch, removed it, shook it a little and tapped on it to see if i could "unstick" it. Darn thing flew apart on me so i tried to gather up all the pieces, looked to be a white case, a circuit board, and a black end cap. I think I gathered all the pieces(?) reassembled it plugged it back in and Gizmo did NOT like that. I hit the power button and every dang light came on, hazard lights included and they would not shut off with the power button or hazard switch. I then disconnected the negative battery terminal and in the process ended up dropping the terminal screw somewhere down in the nether regions of the bike, I did not hear it hit the pavement so it's in there somewhere. It was at this point that I gathered all the screws, placed everything back on the bike, shut down the flashlight and decided that I needed to stop. Admittedly, my stopping point should have been WAAAAYYYYY before then. For the time being I guess I'm stuck riding the Z-125. Curious to see if it'll still be covered under comprehensive now. 😶
I wouldn’t say anything about your attempts to fix the bike.

·
Bronze member
2,292 Posts
next time you want all power shut off: just pull the two larger breakers out of the fuse box.
(fuse box located under left side cover)

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Todays update:

Contacted by the dealership and they replaced the TO sensor and still no dice, the fuel pump will simply not come on. Was also told that they were submitting ~7k dollars in damage to insurance to repair dings chips scratches and scuffs to the bodywork. Whether insurance approves that or not is yet to be seen, but if they don't like it then the service manager said he'd find a paint guy to repair it instead of replacing everything. This could get real interesting real quick. I'm still puzzled as to what the issue is with the fuel pump.

·
Rider
946 Posts
I would assume the dealer tested for power at the Fuel pump. Wondering if the shock of falling could have ruined the pump.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe, no new updates as of yet though. I'm just gonna keep my fingers crossed and do my best to not pester them to much. I have faith that they'll call when they have info.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This weeks update...I dropped off the insurance check to the dealership on Tuesday and got a bit more information. Evidently last week the shop had a change in the guard and there is now a new service manager. Not a big deal but would have been nice to know. Also, my bike wasn't even at that dealership anymore and was transported to another dealership in Forney Texas not long after it arrived to the dealership in Garland. Also not really a big deal since they're taking care of all of the transportation costs to send it there and back up north when everything is done.

All the parts are in aside from the new exhaust, and they figured out what the issue was with the fuel pump and it not starting...anybody care to take a wild guess on what it was?

Okay fine, so as it turns out, evidently the kill switch on the handlebars was knocked senseless when it was tipped by the wind and it was no longer functioning. Fingers crossed that next week all the parts will be installed I'll have Gizmo back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts