Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to add some shaft collar spacers to my Roadmaster to protect the paint and chrome in the event of a zero speed/ low speed tip over.
this was rather nerve racking because... frankly . there is on only one way to find out if theses work.
put them on..
..and then intentionally knock over your bike. *gulp*

here are the results:
Roadmaster1IMG_20180117_184901.jpg
Roadmaster2IMG_20180117_184901.jpg
Roadmaster3IMG_20180117_184901.jpg

close but no damage. yea!!

part numbers from McMaster-carr
PN# 3370K31 qty2
Clamping Two-Piece Shaft Collar for 1-1/4" Diameter, Chrome-Plated 1215 Carbon Steel
PN# 3370K26 qty2
Clamping Two-Piece Shaft Collar for 1" Diameter, Chrome-Plated 1215 Carbon Steel

I hope this helps other fellow tribe members in the future.
cheers
chad

·
Bronze member
2,730 Posts
Outstanding!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,115 Posts
What about the saddlebags?

Reactions: Geoff-3

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've seen that setup work perfectly. They were on a Harley police bike used for MSF training and rodeos. He had them on his crash bar and saddle bag rails.The instructor intentionally threw his bike over on both sides.No damage. But a work bike a beautiful, personal Road master are two different animals. I hope you don't ever need them. I wish you many healthy and happy miles.

·
Registered
2008 Victory Vision 2016 Victory Vision 2020 Indian Challenger
805 Posts
Interesting!
Where did you get those collars and what is the diameter of the bars?

Reactions: Geoff-3

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Close call. Hope you tried it with the cardboard underneath first. The fun part must of been lifting the bike back up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting!
Where did you get those collars and what is the diameter of the bars?
they are chrome collars from McMaster-Carr. I included part numbers and a link in the bottom of my post. each one is $10-ish.
In my opinion if I drop the bike once, it will be the best $40 insurance I've ever spent

cheers

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Close call. Hope you tried it with the cardboard underneath first. The fun part must of been lifting the bike back up.
yes. I was sweating bullets :) hoping there was no Paint to floor, or paint to cardboard contact.

actually picking up the bike was fairly easy.... once you do it right.

I tried for a few minutes grunting and sweating taking note NOT to tweak my back.
then I watched this video (below) and remembered to 'rock the bike'.

then all it took was a simple rocking motion of "1...2...3.. and oof"
the bike went upright.
It was easy enough I did it several times to practice on both sides.

cheers,

·
Registered
805 Posts
they are chrome collars from McMaster-Carr. I included part numbers and a link in the bottom of my post. each one is $10-ish.
In my opinion if I drop the bike once, it will be the best $40 insurance I've ever spent

cheers
Thanks. Why the 2 different diameters?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
Indians. LOTS of Indians
3,895 Posts
Wait.. it went down on a rocky two lane road.. or ... parking lot with losta' gravel .... or.. at 70mph on the Interstate. ... <sounds of plastic cracking>

Still.... I can see the value. I see a lot of folks on an RM that can't handle a bike that size . I see a lot on TS111s .. folks that can't handle any of the bikes.. at that size

·
Registered
805 Posts
Thanks MrStrike! Placing the order now!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wait.. it went down on a rocky two lane road.. or ... parking lot with losta' gravel .... or.. at 70mph on the Interstate. ... <sounds of plastic cracking>

Still.... I can see the value. I see a lot of folks on an RM that can't handle a bike that size . I see a lot on TS111s .. folks that can't handle any of the bikes.. at that size
yea this will not protect anything above 10MPH
or
if the bike is
-in gear
-engine still running (idle)
-on its side
it ..MAY.. decide to run away from you and scrap the entire time down the parking lot as you are chasing it screaming " ARRRRGGGGG!!!" ...

Iv'e dropped many bikes and 90% of the drops have been Zero/low speed drops where gravel or wet pavement are a factor. I simply loose my footing at the wrong moment.

..in front of my friends
...while they are taking pictuers

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you MrStrike!
Gonna order mine today, where did you get the LED lights also mounted on your bars???
Bob
I bough them a while ago and spent waaayy too much for them. BUT this is the second bike they have been on and the 3 year of use with out any drama.

I bought them locally but theses are the units in question
3.7″ Round Optimus Single – Chrome – Vision X USA

I dont know what beam pattern I have (10*, 20*, or 60*)
but I can tell you they work great. and for the price of $150 +/- I would buy them in a heart beat.

you will have to source clamps form Kurakicikeikuian to attach them to the crash bars.
I THINK theses are the units I got
P-Clamps | Custom Taillights & Turn Signals | Lighting | Kuryakyn

cheers,

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ordered a set today. Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
I bough them a while ago and spent waaayy too much for them. BUT this is the second bike they have been on and the 3 year of use with out any drama.

I bought them locally but theses are the units in question
3.7″ Round Optimus Single – Chrome – Vision X USA

I dont know what beam pattern I have (10*, 20*, or 60*)
but I can tell you they work great. and for the price of $150 +/- I would buy them in a heart beat.

you will have to source clamps form Kurakicikeikuian to attach them to the crash bars.
I THINK theses are the units I got
P-Clamps | Custom Taillights & Turn Signals | Lighting | Kuryakyn

cheers,
Thanks again

·
Rider
690 Posts
I decided to add some shaft collar spacers to my Roadmaster to protect the paint and chrome in the event of a zero speed/ low speed tip over.
this was rather nerve racking because... frankly . there is on only one way to find out if theses work.
put them on..
..and then intentionally knock over your bike. *gulp*

here are the results:
View attachment 374922 View attachment 374924 View attachment 374926

close but no damage. yea!!

part numbers from McMaster-carr
PN# 3370K31 qty2
Clamping Two-Piece Shaft Collar for 1-1/4" Diameter, Chrome-Plated 1215 Carbon Steel
PN# 3370K26 qty2
Clamping Two-Piece Shaft Collar for 1" Diameter, Chrome-Plated 1215 Carbon Steel

I hope this helps other fellow tribe members in the future.
cheers
chad
YOUR A BRAVE SUCKER!!!!!

1 - 20 of 86 Posts