Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed some comments about insurance cost for the Challenger. When I began considering the bike, I did a quote on the Progressive site and the quoted cost was almost identical to my then Progressive policy for my BMW.

However, when I called to add the bike, the cost was substantially more than what the site quoted — in fact 44.5% more! Wow. I thought that I had made an error when I did the quote, and just went ahead and added the new bike. However, it didn't sit right with me…

So, today I decided to call Progressive and ask them why there was such a huge disparity in the online quote vs the stated price when I called to service my account.

I was told that I would need to speak to the “Direct Sales” department, since online quotes are based on their offerings. I was transferred and spoke to a friendly Progressive CS rep. She told me that, assuming what had been quoted was based on the actual coverages that I currently have, she could give me that rate. In order to do it, however, I would have to establish a new policy for the Challenger and cancel my current policy for the Challenger (which I had set up the previous day). I had not yet paid for the Challenger change since I was feeling annoyed about the disparity in quote vs actual offered policy cost.

She said the process would take about “fifteen minutes,” and that I would have to go through the entire process as if I were purchasing new coverage (which I was). In the end the call took nearly an hour.

The upshot is that I was able to get the lower quoted price that I had originally seen on the site, which was 44.5% less than the figure I had been given the day before when I called to add the bike!

The agent then transferred me to the regular customer service line, informing them what had been done, and that I would be cancelling my current policy. The agent quickly canceled the old policy, informed me that I would be credited the pro-rated balance (I prepay my policies for the best rate).

If you have already added a Challenger to your policy and noted a sizable increase in your policy cost, I would suggest doing an online quote (make sure you aren’t logged into your account), and compare the costs. If it is substantially lower, and you don’t mind going through the process, call the regular policy service number and tell them you were quoted a much lower price online and they will connect you with the Direct Sales folks…and hopefully you will save some bucks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was appalled at the price I was quoted from progressive for my Challenger especially since I get great rates on the 2 vehicles and my home that I insure through them. I put in a little effort to do some checking around and was quoted less than half of the progressive quote from Dairyland so I went with that policy. However, the very next day I thought I would check with Geico and they quoted the policy for half of what Dairyland wrote it for so I ultimately ended up with Geico for $246 per year for great coverage limits & deductibles.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,098 Posts
Interesting, my other bikes are through Progressive and 7 months (to co-term) for my Challenger was only $7 more than my 05' VTX.

·
Rider
832 Posts
Haven’t had any issues with progressive and have had them for 3 years now. I just checked Geico and they were $40 higher per year with the same coverage I currently have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts