Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 19’Elite has been in the dealership now for 2 weeks, parts were ordered on 10th and saying could be next week or could be 6weeks, what gives.......wtf

·
Bronze member
5,082 Posts
That depends on the parts and whether it's a warranty job or not.

Some parts get themselves on backorder a bit too soon and we are left waiting. This can happen more easily if it's a recall part and they run out, such as the fuel charcoal canister a year or two ago.

Here in Australia if it's warranty the service guy sends the details to the dealer's warranty guy to approve, who then sends it to head office to approve. That takes a few days. Then the parts arrive with the parts guy in the dealership who has to sort out what goes on the shelf for sale, what goes aside for customer orders, and what goes to the service guy for repairs. Everything takes a day or two, except head office which takes longer.

I've had to wait two weeks for a clutch cable at my local dealer for warranty replacement.

·
Rider
1,208 Posts
What parts are you waiting on?

If the parts you need are absolutely necessary for your bike to function... the dealer can place what's a VDO (Vehicle Down Order) and Indian will pull parts off of the assembly line.

Now if the parts aren't a necessity to get the bike to run...Then you're SOL and will have to wait.

I've seen a backorder on chrome ape hangers longer than 9 months. But not a necessity for the bike to function, plus they are not standard on any production model.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've heard stories that go both ways. Sometimes, someone pulls into a dealership and they're back on the road the same day, even with a critical part. The would be a well stocked dealership. I've heard of people waiting 2 months or more to get their bike back on the road due to "back ordered" parts.

If you're in Wyoming or Montana... you're probably waiting for the melt anyway. If you're in the warmth of the south or Florida... yeah... some dealerships are better than others. I see STL in your name... St. Lucie County?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
When I was still in Virginia, my VCU went out. I had the bike towed to the dealership, they diagnosed it that day, and submitted the warranty claim. I think the total time, from towing it in to picking it up, was on the order of two weeks.

Here in Germany, I submitted a warranty claim for my front fender rusting. IIRC, the dealership contacted me to let me know that my fender was in inside of three weeks. Install took about an hour and a half at the dealer.

·
Founding member
961 Posts
Call Rob Gregory with Gregory Polaris in Little Rock. A great, easy to talk to, dealership owner. His stock is huge and he'll be able to help you somehow. That wait is CRAZY! Gregory Polaris is 480 miles north of me and I have a dealer ten miles away and several more between me and Little Rock but they are my exclusive dealer because they care. Rob is the best! Call Rob: 501-834-0344 Best of luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’m just about done with Indian. Getting accessories is crazy. Ordered driving light kit and waited a month and a half. Finally get it and it has two right mounts instead of left and right. I called Indian customer service and went to dealer where I ordered it. Dealer got with dealer support and they said I would have it in four days. Nothing comes so I call them back. Dealer ordered a whole new kit. Still nothing. Been 2 months.
Been waiting for trunk rack for 3 months. Should of never bought an Indian. Should of learned my lesson after finally buying a Victory and Polaris dropping them.

·
Bronze member
1,500 Posts
I’m just about done with Indian. Getting accessories is crazy. Ordered driving light kit and waited a month and a half. Finally get it and it has two right mounts instead of left and right. I called Indian customer service and went to dealer where I ordered it. Dealer got with dealer support and they said I would have it in four days. Nothing comes so I call them back. Dealer ordered a whole new kit. Still nothing. Been 2 months.
Been waiting for trunk rack for 3 months. Should of never bought an Indian. Should of learned my lesson after finally buying a Victory and Polaris dropping them.
Or you could come to a realization that there has been this little Global Pandemic that interrupted supply chains for months and things are just getting back to normal stock levels. Local dealers around here are just now getting bikes and other things back in stock after being tremendously thin on bikes and many parts for months. Sometimes patience is a virtue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Or you could come to a realization that there has been this little Global Pandemic that interrupted supply chains for months and things are just getting back to normal stock levels. Local dealers around here are just now getting bikes and other things back in stock after being tremendously thin on bikes and many parts for months. Sometimes patience is a virtue.
i understand the pandemic thing. The dealer has been great. But when Indian says it will be there in 4 days and it is not I have a problem with that. Tell me the truth. Don't tell me something to shut me up. The dealer text dealer support and Indian doesn't respond. Dealer says it is nothing new. They are as frustrated as I am with Indian.
I bought a 2020 Road master dark horse. Touring bike. I go out and buy a new seat because stock seat is worthless for two up. No passenger floor boards or trunk rack. I go out and buy all these things. 2021 the bike comes standard with these things standard. Same price. My fault for buying the first year. They threw a trunk on a Chieftan and called it a Road Master. 2021 they made it a Road Master. I like the Bike the way I have it now but it cost me more to make it the same as 2021. It's all good though, I'm just ranting.

·
Bronze member
1,500 Posts
i understand the pandemic thing. The dealer has been great. But when Indian says it will be there in 4 days and it is not I have a problem with that. Tell me the truth. Don't tell me something to shut me up. The dealer text dealer support and Indian doesn't respond. Dealer says it is nothing new. They are as frustrated as I am with Indian.
I bought a 2020 Road master dark horse. Touring bike. I go out and buy a new seat because stock seat is worthless for two up. No passenger floor boards or trunk rack. I go out and buy all these things. 2021 the bike comes standard with these things standard. Same price. My fault for buying the first year. They threw a trunk on a Chieftan and called it a Road Master. 2021 they made it a Road Master. I like the Bike the way I have it now but it cost me more to make it the same as 2021. It's all good though, I'm just ranting.
Fair enough. Communication from companies is generally lacking and it's hard to tell if it's the dealer covering something or the manufacturer is pulling your leg. Good luck getting the part.

·
Bronze member
3,940 Posts

Also companies like Polaris are not ever going to stock a large inventory of parts, that's not the Wall Street way. Also more than 50% of the parts on our Indian's are made overseas which have had factory shutdowns for quite a bit of time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts