Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 Chieftain w/19" front tire. I have no problems with the stock tires they just wore out (17K). Dealer wants to sell me cruisetechs……. I don't see the elite 4 19" front wheel anywhere are they sold out? If I could get the same tires as original again (elite 3 I believe) I wouldn't have a problem with that at all, clue me Thank You

·
Bronze member
1,674 Posts
American Elite was my 19" from the factory 2107 Chieftain. The rear was American Elite 3. I just replaced with same front and American Elite 4 on the rear. not sure if Elite 4 is available. Also, one is radial, one is not by design.

·
Rider
973 Posts
I'm going to Cruise Tech next time, they offer a 180/65/16 rear that's a tad taller, I'm trying to slow the engine down a bit at cruising speeds 80--85

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I hated the handling of the e3 I pulled them at 9000 miles. I run the e4 now. Sticks and rides way better a very good tire with excellent grip in the rain. Just my experience still run American Elite on the front

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks- I appreciate the info I was wondering about the bias up front radial in rear thing. Anyhow I'm going with the same front and Elite 4 for the rear

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
As eaglehead said no e4 for front. But I spoke directly with Dunlop switching to a E4 and they said NP they roll well together. You can run radial rear and bias front but not vice verse.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I use Metzler tires on any motorcycle I own. When I bought my chieftain I negotiated an upgrade from the OEM tires to the Metzlers. IMO these are the best for handling tar snakes, rain grooved pavement and overall ride.

·
Bronze member
1,257 Posts
One of my high mileage motorcycles has seen several tire manufacturers and three set of Metzeler tires but the last set I purchased the front tire is made in Germany and the rear in China. I didn’t realize this until after installation. These weren’t the Cruisetec version but it’s worth your time to find out. I believe the Dunlop’s are made in USA.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
I'm going to Cruise Tech next time, they offer a 180/65/16 rear that's a tad taller, I'm trying to slow the engine down a bit at cruising speeds 80--85

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
I have had my Metzler Cruise Tech’s for a few thousand miles and couldn’t be happier. I really couldn’t believe the handling from a tire could make that big of a difference, but it did with these. Very nimble in the corners, and low speed maneuvers seemed easier. These get my vote.

Reactions: Kost

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One of my high mileage motorcycles has seen several tire manufacturers and three set of Metzeler tires but the last set I purchased the front tire is made in Germany and the rear in China. I didn’t realize this until after installation. These weren’t the Cruisetec version but it’s worth your time to find out. I believe the Dunlop’s are made in USA.
How can you tell? Does it say on the tire?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is what I got from Dunlop....?

We appreciate your contact and interest in Dunlop Motorcycle Tires.
It is always best to match, exactly, tire brand, model and tread pattern whenever possible. Correct matching of front and rear tires is important to obtain optimum performance and handling. Mixing radial tires, or radials with non-radials, may adversely affect handling and stability. That being said, we do NOT recommend using the Dunlop Elite 4 Radial and the Dunlop American Elite on the same vehicle.

Consumer Affairs
Dunlop Motorcycle Tires
8656 Haven Avenue
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
Phone O: 800.845.8378

1 - 14 of 14 Posts