Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

What saddle would you recommend for a 2016 Chieftain?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace my stock Chieftain saddle. Please vote, and/or leave a comment.

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
20160929_183409.jpg 20161006_082809.jpg

I'm a HUGE fan of my Corbin Dual Tourer.

Reactions: quibble

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm lucky enough to live near Corbin's Hollister CA factory so I scheduled a ride in custom seat build. I had them add extra foam to the seat back to push me forward 2" and also had them lengthen and widen the pillion seat to make more room for my wife. They let you take the bike out for test rides during the build before they put the final leather cover on so everything fits perfect for me. The seat is firm, but after about 1000 miles it breaks in and conforms to your butt and is good for 500 mile days.

·
Rider
1,099 Posts
I have a Corbin dual tour seat with heated elements and the riders backrest. The backrest pivots forward to help the passenger get on and off. Only thing I don't like is the rearward reach to get to the switches especially the passengers switch.

Reactions: PrometheusVII

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ultimate motorcycle seats.com
Added Your Choice for voting. Heard about them some time ago, but they seem to be a very small market. Maybe their price, or just not enough marketing. Never heard an owner say anything bad about them though. Thank You for your input.

Reactions: Ultimate Seats

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I had a Corbin on my last bike and can vouch for how comfortable they are after the break-in period.

My stock Indian saddle was uncomfortable as hell until around 4,000 miles. Hard to pin point exactly but one day all of a sudden it was okay. Don't know how many mile you have on your stock saddle, but might be worth giving it a little more time/miles.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I've got 14,000 miles on my factory Roadmaster seat and recently I did a 350 mile day ride. I didn't stop except to fill up the tank, and at the end of the ride my butt was so sore! I used a gel seat pad for the last 125 miles, but it didn't help very much. I'm thinking it's time to upgrade the seat as well. I had an Ultimate Tall Boy on my last bike and was very pleased with it. Swaying between Corbin and Ultimate.

Reactions: PrometheusVII

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a Corbin on my last bike and can vouch for how comfortable they are after the break-in period.

My stock Indian saddle was uncomfortable as hell until around 4,000 miles. Hard to pin point exactly but one day all of a sudden it was okay. Don't know how many mile you have on your stock saddle, but might be worth giving it a little more time/miles.
It's around 4900 miles. It did get better, some, but (no pun intended) I'm looking for still more comfort. I've had mustang seats, and a Corbin on a CBR, although I don't think that's a fair comparison of what they are capable of with a cruiser seat. I've got several weeks before I'll be ready to settle on a solution. Going to keep my eye on the polls, see what they suggest...

Reactions: Aargow

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,727 Posts
The choice you make depends on what you need.
Do you need to move forward, backwards, up, down?
What is uncomfortable about your current seat?

I got real bad butt burn and numbness from the stock seat. I had it rebuilt by Mean City Cycles twice and it got better, but it still wasn't good enough. I figured out that I needed to move back. The Mustang moved me back 1.5" and down 1". It is really good for my height. I still need an Airhawk pad for long rides. I have a RM seat that I plan to have built for ME by Russel Daylong and hopefully, that will be the end of my butt woes.

·
Founding member
2,149 Posts
Just a word of warning about following the crowd ... everyone's butt is different; just like some people prefer a soft pillow-top mattress and others prefer a firm supportive one. I've found out that two drastically different seats can also be very comfortable. I had an Ultimate on my last bike and it's a seat that (their slogan) "you sit in, not on" - it's a very cushy seat. Since they didn't have one for the Indian when I was looking a couple years ago, I got a Corbin. It's a very firm seat that takes a good number of miles until it conforms to your rear, but once it does it is also very comfortable.

If at all possible, try to find someone with the seats you're considering and ask if you can sit on their bike to see how it positions you relative to the controls. That can be one of the most important factors towards deciding if it will work for YOU.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Used to see this all the time with HD............take the existing seat down to someone who knows what they are doing and have it recovered ( diamond stitch, whatever ) and add more padding or make adjustments. Save big $$$ and get it done perfectly.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ultimate, is very comfortable and well made. Much better than stock, better than Mustang. View attachment 162081

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you for posting about your seat. I've never heard of Ultimate. It looks like the stock Indian backrest will work with it. Can you confirm stock Indian driver backrest and passenger back rest work with it? Overall, what are your thoughts on it? It seems this may be the only aftermarket seat that works with Indian OEM backrests. Thanks in advance for your time and response.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just an FYI... I believe Ultimate has a 14 day return period while Corbin does not.

Reactions: Ultimate Seats

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The choice you make depends on what you need.
Do you need to move forward, backwards, up, down?
What is uncomfortable about your current seat?

I got real bad butt burn and numbness from the stock seat. I had it rebuilt by Mean City Cycles twice and it got better, but it still wasn't good enough. I figured out that I needed to move back. The Mustang moved me back 1.5" and down 1". It is really good for my height. I still need an Airhawk pad for long rides. I have a RM seat that I plan to have built for ME by Russel Daylong and hopefully, that will be the end of my butt woes.
Good call. So, I don't feel like I need to move anywhere, up, down, back, or forward.
What makes my stocker uncomfortable is Hot-Spots causing butt-burn and numbness. I get the feeling it is from improper contouring. Like the cushioning and pan are not right for me. I wouldn't mind it a little wider either. I can still push through and put down a 350 mile day, albeit with moderate discomfort, but occasionally I have the need/desire to do around 700 miles a day, and the stocker is just not going to cut it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Good call. So, I don't feel like I need to move anywhere, up, down, back, or forward.
What makes my stocker uncomfortable is Hot-Spots causing butt-burn and numbness. I get the feeling it is from improper contouring. Like the cushioning and pan are not right for me. I wouldn't mind it a little wider either. I can still push through and put down a 350 mile day, albeit with moderate discomfort, but occasionally I have the need/desire to do around 700 miles a day, and the stocker is just not going to cut it.
Agreed on the contouring. I compared my HD's mustang seat that I loved with the shape of the Chieftain seat and for me the contour of the Indian seat comes around a little too narrow for me as compared to the Mustang. The Ultimate looks like it has the same contour as the Mustang in so much as it doesn't come around at the edges. The rest of the seat dynamics are fine with me. The more I look at the Ultimate, the more I think I'm going to go with that so I can keep the OEM sissy bar/luggage rack. My understanding is the Mustang does not support that.

Seats for Chief / Chieftain

·
Rider
543 Posts
Thank you for posting about your seat. I've never heard of Ultimate. It looks like the stock Indian backrest will work with it. Can you confirm stock Indian driver backrest and passenger back rest work with it? Overall, what are your thoughts on it? It seems this may be the only aftermarket seat that works with Indian OEM backrests. Thanks in advance for your time and response.
I can confirm that the Ultimate and the Mustang seats will both work with the stock Indian backrest. I can only tell you that the after trying both the stock and mustang seats both my passenger and I have the most comfort on the Ultimate seat as pictured. I am 6'1'' and I purchased the tall boy and it fits me fine. The Mustang seating position is same as stock. Good luck I hope you find a comfortable ride. The backrest pad from Ultimate that fits on the stock Indian backrest and bolts right up is designed to give the passenger a little more room without compromising comfort, and of course matches the seats better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
IMG_1615.JPG

1 - 20 of 50 Posts