Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this while replacing my KST Apache bars with the stock bars.

Unfortunately, Barnett apparently does not ship to an APO address, so I ordered it shipped to my mom's place for her to forward on to me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: rankdog

·
Premium Member
2016 Indian Roadmaster 120 Stroker
559 Posts
You removed your KST bars to put the stock bars back on? How come?

good find, how old is your bike?

·
German rider
737 Posts
This times all my ordered parts from US, is it a Fountain Pen or Ignition Wires, took place at Frankfurt M. Air Port Tax Office for about 4 weeks before final delivery in Germany can be done.
It takes time.
Better find a local dealer with Barnett.
Try out shops in NL too.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This times all my ordered parts from US, is it a Fountain Pen or Ignition Wires, took place at Frankfurt M. Air Port Tax Office for about 4 weeks before final delivery in Germany can be done.
It takes time.
Better find a local dealer with Barnett.
Try out shops in NL too.
Everything that I have ordered through Amazon or Cheap Cycle Parts has gotten here in the usual time, probably because it goes to an APO AE address, and not a German residential address. Shipping from the US to an APO address is standard USPS Priority Mail.

Reactions: Demolition Man

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You removed your KST bars to put the stock bars back on? How come?

good find, how old is your bike?
The KST bars, even with the addition of the Rox Risers, were too wide for my t-rex arms, as I am only 5'7" tall. I lost a lot of control while doing low-speed maneuvers such as the offset cone weave and the u-turn box. As I am a certified RiderCoach, I have to demonstrate the maneuvers when I am instructing. It looks bad if the Coach can't do the maneuvers.

I also had issues with my hands going numb after 20 or 30 minutes, especially my throttle hand. If the grips weren't pit so wide, or if they were slanted inward like on the stock bars, I probably could have made them work. As it is now, for me the function needs to triumph over form.

My bike is a 2017. However, some of the fraying is probably from me being less than gentle while removing and installing the lever.

Reactions: Black2016RMrider

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
That looks dicey. I'd be inclined to replace the inner cable with one of those emergency kits while waiting for the Barnett to arrive.

My clutch cable went late last year a few kms from home as I was riding to the dealer to book a service. The dealer picked it up on his trailer instead. It was two days after I got home from a few thousand km trip out west where towns are few and far between. It's made me wary of taking it for granted on a trip in future.

·
Rider
963 Posts
This is known issue around 10,000 miles. I've heard of 2 other people this has happened to in my riders group. Indian has fixed the issue on 2019's I think. Does not happen on Barnett cables fro what I've been told.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
That looks dicey. I'd be inclined to replace the inner cable with one of those emergency kits while waiting for the Barnett to arrive.

My clutch cable went late last year a few kms from home as I was riding to the dealer to book a service. The dealer picked it up on his trailer instead. It was two days after I got home from a few thousand km trip out west where towns are few and far between. It's made me wary of taking it for granted on a trip in future.
At the moment, the bike will remain parked until a fix happens. Fortunately, I have my beater van to get to and from work.

I was toying with the idea of trying to solder the broken wires back together, as a temporary fix... Can't make it any worse, lol!

·
Bronze member
2,702 Posts
Buy a Sav Ur Ride clutch repair kit and keep in the saddle bag. My RM had 34k miles when I traded it in and the clutch cable looked brand new.

·
Bronze member
1,607 Posts
This is known issue around 10,000 miles. I've heard of 2 other people this has happened to in my riders group. Indian has fixed the issue on 2019's I think. Does not happen on Barnett cables fro what I've been told.
It's only a known issue if the cable ends aren't lubed properly at every oil change interval. Have 30K on my '15RM and it's still the original. 15K on the '14 Vintage and still original. This is the same style cable/perch setup on the Vics and my XC has 70K and I am on the 2nd clutch cable - replaced at 55K purely for precautionary reason. It's not a bad cable, and the Barnett won't magically erase the need for maintaining the cable barrel at the perch end, or the clutch shaft end. It's about 30 mins of work and isn't hard to do.

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Is there any documentation on how to properly lube these cables?
You tube?

·
Silver member
4,933 Posts
I shoot the grip end of mine with a little white lithium grease every now and then. Little over 10K miles and looks like new.

·
Bronze member
1,607 Posts
Is there any documentation on how to properly lube these cables?
You tube?
The cables themselves are never meant to be lubed - they have a teflon sleeve making lube unnecessary. The idea is to lube the pivot points and barrel ends on the clutch perch and the gear shaft (under the tranny). Some people use a syringe with a thick needle to inject lithium or moly grease. I disengage the cable from both ends, clean the barrels and pivot points and re-lube with a q-tip and basic moly lube.

Reactions: Baron58

·
Rider
963 Posts
It's only a known issue if the cable ends aren't lubed properly at every oil change interval. Have 30K on my '15RM and it's still the original. 15K on the '14 Vintage and still original. This is the same style cable/perch setup on the Vics and my XC has 70K and I am on the 2nd clutch cable - replaced at 55K purely for precautionary reason. It's not a bad cable, and the Barnett won't magically erase the need for maintaining the cable barrel at the perch end, or the clutch shaft end. It's about 30 mins of work and isn't hard to do.
Good to know. Evidently the dealer does not do this because both of the bikes I know of are dealer maintained and this still happened.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
At the moment, the bike will remain parked until a fix happens. Fortunately, I have my beater van to get to and from work.

I was toying with the idea of trying to solder the broken wires back together, as a temporary fix... Can't make it any worse, lol!
You can't solder the broken wires back together but there is a home made fix if you have sufficient inner cable. It's something that we used to do in my days racing dirt bikes. The major difference is that we used to use plain outer cable that was not fitted with end pieces. That meant we could cut the outer cable an inch shorter and just push it into the end socket.

Take the barrel and remove the teflon outer piece. The barrel has a flared hole through it. Heat it up so you can remove the wires and clean up the solder already in there. Then clean up the end of the wires from any grease so they can take solder again.

The cable goes through from the narrow side and then the wires are flared out. You then fill it with solder, being sure to not let the solder run into the cable as it exits away from the barrel. If that happens the cable becomes stiff and will break again very soon. It needs flexibility.

I've not looked to see how much adjustability there is in the Indian outer cable but I suspect this old trick will not work easily.

Another option is to take the broken cable to a cable shop and have them put in a new inner.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
My cable broke at almost two years old and 50,000 kms. I've heard of them going at much less than that, and a mate of mine is still on his original cable on his 2017 RM at over 60,000 kms.

My bike is serviced by the dealer but I also lube the cable ends myself. I use a Motorex chain lube that does not attract dust but has good retention in all weather. I thought of putting in a Barnett cable but mine was a warranty replacement.

·
Bronze member
1,607 Posts
Good to know. Evidently the dealer does not do this because both of the bikes I know of are dealer maintained and this still happened.
It's in the recommended service interval at 500 and then every 10K service after that. If the dealer doesn't do it and you are paying for the prescribed service intervals, I would have a slight issue with that. I do it at the oil change interval cause it's easier for me to remember that way, and I don't mind an over-abundance of caution.

·
Registered
58 Posts
What would the part number be for the Barnett clutch cable for the Roadmaster (2018)?
And does anyone know of a good place to purchase one/
Thanks in advance

1 - 20 of 23 Posts