Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Down to calling HaulBikes daily getting the same answer, in Oklahoma, no idea when it will go to Nevada (the next terminal it has to go to before actually getting a delivery date). Just received a call from HaulBike saying, "worse case", delivery sometime between 20 and 22 May. Asked when it will leave Oklahoma," hopefully next week", so really they still don't know. She did state they were not taking any new orders as they are so backed up and nothing moving.
HaulBikes... good equipment for transporting motorcycles But HORRIBLE SCHEDULING, HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts
Down to calling HaulBikes daily getting the same answer, in Oklahoma, no idea when it will go to Nevada (the next terminal it has to go to before actually getting a delivery date). Just received a call from HaulBike saying, "worse case", delivery sometime between 20 and 22 May. Asked when it will leave Oklahoma," hopefully next week", so really they still don't know. She did state they were not taking any new orders as they are so backed up and nothing moving.
Why on earth is "nothing moving"?? They have trucks....they have drivers...there is no fuel shortage that would prevent running trucks...blah, blah, blah...

I suspect the real reason is that they do not have a "full load" to take in the direction of Nevada, so your bike is just going to sit (in a warehouse) until they find "sufficient" load capacity. I doubt they are "backed up" with orders.

·
Premium Member
2016 RoadMaster
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
There might be hope after all. Called this morning, was told it has left Oklahoma (after being there a month) and on the way to the terminal in Las Vegas. Arrival 'sometime' middle of next week.

·
Registered
329 Posts
There might be hope after all. Called this morning, was told it has left Oklahoma (after being there a month) and on the way to the terminal in Las Vegas. Arrival 'sometime' middle of next week.
That`s good news! I am sure it will be well worth the wait.

·
Premium Member
2016 RoadMaster
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
First was told delivery 19 April (original contract was for 16 Apr). Then week of 10 May. Then absolute worse case 22 May. Friday, I’m told maybe by the end of the month. That was the last straw. Flew out Friday to Las Vegas and picked up the bike at their terminal this morning. Driving the bike myself to Eugene and will deliver it to Bob at Tilting Motor Works Monday.

My ending comment concerning HaulBikes. The drivers and equipment are the best in the industry but none of that matters if they can’t be straight up about delivery. After already being a month overdue they wanted another month. My favorite was once told that if they contact the terminal inquiring about my bike, that will “slow them down”. So you see, it was my fault they were over a month late and still no delivery date.

I will be using Motorcycle Shippers who have a terminal in Eugene to ship to the terminal in Denver when the conversion is complete. We’ll see how that works out.

Stopping along the way from Las Vegas.
p

·
Registered
102 Posts
"Stopping along the way from Las Vegas."
Where was this photo taken? Sure doesn't look like anyplace in Rachel (Area 51) when I used to hang out there.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
First was told delivery 19 April (original contract was for 16 Apr). Then week of 10 May. Then absolute worse case 22 May. Friday, I’m told maybe by the end of the month. That was the last straw. Flew out Friday to Las Vegas and picked up the bike at their terminal this morning. Driving the bike myself to Eugene and will deliver it to Bob at Tilting Motor Works Monday.

My ending comment concerning HaulBikes. The drivers and equipment are the best in the industry but none of that matters if they can’t be straight up about delivery. After already being a month overdue they wanted another month. My favorite was once told that if they contact the terminal inquiring about my bike, that will “slow them down”. So you see, it was my fault they were over a month late and still no delivery date.

I will be using Motorcycle Shippers who have a terminal in Eugene to ship to the terminal in Denver when the conversion is complete. We’ll see how that works out.

Stopping along the way from Las Vegas. View attachment 634852 p
Heck, I"ll drive it back for ya!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Heck, I"ll drive it back for ya!
Yeah, I'm thinking that has been the best solution here all along. Screw these stupid deliver guys that don't deliver. Have somebody drive it up there and pay their ticket home.

·
Premium Member
2016 RoadMaster
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Made it to Eugene on Sunday. Along the way got to try out the new rain suit (worked like a champ) and pay $4.40 a gallon for fuel in the Mount Shasta area.

Dropped the bike off Monday morning at Tilting Motor Works. This is what the kit (less wheels) looks like as they prepare to ship it to their installers. The owner of TMW, Bob Mighell, says they are suffering from a supply problem just like every other industry but have all the parts for my bike. I'm getting the last set of chrome wheels they set aside for me, he said it will be 12 weeks before they will get another set.

This was his first prototype, a Honda 250. Chopped it up to assemble bits and pieces, initially just making it tilt, not lock upright. Later, he added a brake caliper for the lock system, which today uses hydraulic cylinders. Should point out, when he re-registered the bike to make it street legal, he thought it had to be reinspected because it now has three wheels. Not so, a motorcycle is defined as either two or three wheels and had to get it inspected because he modified the frame. That is when he hit upon bolting onto the front forks which does not modify the frame and thus, you don't have to get it inspected or re-registered.

The bike behind it is a modified Yamaha V-Max 1197cc motorcycle equipped with a V-4 engine and a TMW front end that Bob road to a new record for three wheel motorbikes of 132.342 mph over one mile with a flying start.

This is a Chieftain they bought back from someone who had it modified but, due to medical conditions, can no longer ride and will be a company demo bike.

Myself on the left, Bob on the right.

The kit itself takes only a couple of weeks, or less, to install but the unknown is the colour matched front fenders and putting on the lighted headdress, waiting on the painter for his schedule. Trying to set a planning date of 5 June to come get it but honestly, will be when they are ready. At least they can get started vice it still sitting for two weeks or more in Las Vegas.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Really enjoying all these updates, Jim. This is a conversion I believe many on the RM thread are interested in. Not sure about the rest of you, but my knees are taking a pounding as I get older, and a thousand pounds + of bike, two riders and gear is not going to permit me to keep tossing this monster around like an SV650 forever. Please keep posting, Jim. I'm taking notes!

·
Bronze member
2,762 Posts
and mounting the lighted headdress on the middle fender.

Oh wait ! You can't just run one Headdress WHEN YOU HAVE THREE FRONT FENDERS !!!

How could you run just one - Jeez man !

You know, nevermind.. No one pays any attention to me..

Unless they have a camera..

·
Premium Member
2016 RoadMaster
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Work is progressing, they have the tilting frame on (less wheels). Scary looking with it all apart, kinda like not wanting to see how the sausage is made. The body shop/painter is working on mounting the front fender headdress and then get into painting. Have a tentative date later in June (more because of when I'm free) to get the bike but should be completed before then. Bob will have a better idea next week when we get some firm dates from the painter.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Work is progressing, they have the tilting frame on (less wheels). Scary looking with it all apart, kinda like not wanting to see how the sausage is made. The body shop/painter is working on mounting the front fender headdress and then get into painting. Have a tentative date later in June (more because of when I'm free) to get the bike but should be completed before then. Bob will have a better idea next week when we get some firm dates from the painter. View attachment 636553
One thing that should help ease your mind is the bottle of Loctite on the lift. :):) They're pros.
As an aside, I would kill for that lift and that chair in my garage!

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Work is progressing, they have the tilting frame on (less wheels). Scary looking with it all apart, kinda like not wanting to see how the sausage is made. The body shop/painter is working on mounting the front fender headdress and then get into painting. Have a tentative date later in June (more because of when I'm free) to get the bike but should be completed before then. Bob will have a better idea next week when we get some firm dates from the painter. View attachment 636553
That HD tank cover will probably burn the paint right off your bike!

·
Premium Member
2016 RoadMaster
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Got the wheels on, put on some spare blue fenders and Bob took it for a test drive, reported he was very pleased with the performance. We expect the actual fenders to be finished this week. Currently planning the week of June 21 to fly out to Eugene and, after the disastrous experience with HaulBikes, will drive it back to Colorado. Note how it is standing upright by itself.

·
Bronze member
1,614 Posts
I noticed they cut the "tabs" off the lower part of your fairing. was that done to accommodate the cover the will become part of the front end?

·
Premium Member
2016 RoadMaster
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Good catch, yes this to accommodate the large middle fender to cover the kit and was known they would be doing that. Hopefully my fenders will be done this week. Also note the front forks have been removed and only a center rod is coming down from the handlebars.

·
Premium Member
2016 RoadMaster
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
The fenders are done and installed. I'm just gobsmacked how great that looks! Watching it under construction made me question what the final product will look like but could not be happier. The painter did a super job mounting the headdress and it even lights up. I'm having to wait until the week of 21 June to fly out there as my young bride has jury duty the 16th, hopefully a one day and done. Still, thinking positive and made the bookings to travel, can always slip if needed.

·
Premium Member
2016 RoadMaster
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Sandy got dismissed from jury duty (perhaps they didn't like the "Death before Dishonor" tattoos?), so we're good to travel out to Eugene next week and pick up the bike. Going to be a high of 97 on Monday there, thought we'd take a trip to the coast for our first try out. Both of us looking forward to finally getting it.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts