Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 RoadMaster
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my introduction post in the new members section and mentioned I will be starting a new thread sharing my experience in getting my recently bought (last Friday) 2016 Roadmaster converted with a Tilting Motor Works.

Flew into Sioux Falls on Friday (picture above) and drove the bike back to Colorado Springs over the weekend. I have to say, the insight provided in this community has been invaluable in preparing me. For example, this has the heel shifter and just like most everyone reported, makes my foot forward more than I like. Have ordered the longer shifter AND the short peg. I spent some time today with the service manager at Colorado Springs Indian and was very patient with me and my silly questions. I was really pleased to have him show me where that USB connection was located in the right side of the faring (just could not figure that out from the manual nor could the salesman in Sioux Falls) and will have them use that and install the cell phone fairing mount.

A bonus I didn't realize was how the audio is integrated with the Pandora app which I use all the time. I usually have buyers remorse on just about anything I buy but so far, this bike has met and exceeded all my expectations!

Next step will be to get it registered in Colorado, have to wait two weeks for the first appointment at the DMV (hope I have everything they need). Afterwards, will be shipping it to Washington State to the Tilting Motor Works factory and have them do the conversion. The closest TMW dealer is in Phoenix so I figured might as well send it to the people who actually make it. I been conversing with the designer and CEO of TMW, Bob Mighell, and soon will be getting into details with him such as fender colour matching and what to do with the headdress light.

To reiterate what I posted in my introduction, the reason I am getting the conversion, I am doing fine riding by myself but just not at all as steady as I used to be with my young bride on the back. I did check out other options and going with TMW is what I decided works best for us. The plan is for both of us to fly out to Washington in May and drive the bike back.

·
Bronze member
1,199 Posts
Welcome to the Tribe Jim and His Lovely Bride. You have a beautiful Roadmaster, I love that color scheme with the tan leather! I think you've made a wise choice with the TMW. Please keep us in the loop with your experiences. You might be a pioneer with the Tilting Motor Works conversion. It looks like a marvellously engineered design.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Make sure you get the option for upright lock when you have it installed. From what I understand it isn't included for base price. I met Bob at Bonneville when he was testing an early prototype out there. Seemed to be a really good guy and the engineering is impressive to me.

·
Premium Member
2016 RoadMaster
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you for saying something about the upright lock. TMW now only sells the TRiO with TiltLock (you're correct, it used to be an option).

·
Premium Member
2016 RoadMaster
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got my Kuryakyn heel shifter to replace the Pinnacle as it pushed my foot too far forward. I'm not one to be trusted with a wrench around mechanical equipment but it actually was quite straightforward swapping the two out, including adding the spacer for the floorboard. I am very thankful for all the information that is found in this community as indeed, once installed, the longer peg was hitting my leg as I tried moving the kickstand. Fortunately, I ordered the short peg at the same time and now it all works great and have full use of the floorboard again. Unfortunately, with a predicted foot or better snowstorm this weekend, will just have to wait to truly try it out!

Have a zoom conference with Bob from TMW next week and will get into the details of getting the conversion done.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That is very interesting. So, around the same price as for a trike conversion, you still have something that rides like a regular motorcycle. Maybe in the (hopefully distant) future that is something I would consider.

·
Premium Member
2016 RoadMaster
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know this is about my experience with getting a TMW conversion but am enjoying sharing what I'm learning from this community as a newbie Indian owner. Having been embolden with successfully putting on the heel shifter, I took a look at perhaps installing the faring cell phone holder but in reading the directions when I got to "get the service manual and remove the instrument cluster" I thought perhaps best let the dealer do that. I probably could do it but would rather not.

Whilst looking at what others have posted on the fairing mount, someone mentioned about removing the warning label on the tank and thought, yeah, why not? Finding past discussions on what to do, got my wife's hair dryer (being follically challenged myself), warmed up the sticker, slowly pulled it off, used Goo Gone (let it sit for 3 minutes) to get rid of the adhesive and cleaned with soap and water. That looks a whole lot better!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,115 Posts
If/when the time comes Tilting Motor Works will be my choice to keep my knees in the breeze. Some people scoff at the looks but being able to lean over in a corner more than makes up for any loss of aesthetics IMO

·
Premium Member
2016 RoadMaster
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had my zoom meeting with Bob Mighell (super guy to deal with). Went over what needs to go (Lower left & right fairings, front crash bars, the fairing tabs that stick down over the front forks).

Talked about the colour match I wanted in keeping with the two-tone red/ivory cream. Bob showed me pictures of similar two-toned bikes they did and was just what I wanted. He pointed out that there was gold pin-striping on my bike that I had not noticed before and would be part of the colour match.

Discussed the front fender headdress light and wanted that taken off the old fender and put on the new, center fender and also lights up. Did not like the two headdress's like the picture above. They will be able to reconnect the ABS system but the TPMS for the front tyres will not work. Hopefully there is way to deactivate the system from reporting that on the dashboard.

Setting up a preliminary timeline to ship the bike to Washington state end of this month. Bob will work up a quote for the install, including painting and chrome wheels (like the picture above).

·
Premium Member
2016 RoadMaster
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Bob worked up a sales order, total comes to $18,000 which includes the tilting kit, installation, chrome wheels, colour match and mounting the lighted headdress on the middle fender. Put down my $2,000 deposit. Bob mentioned that they are in the process of moving operations from Snohomish, Washington to Eugene, Oregon. We're currently planning on flying out in May to Eugene and drive the bike back.

Up next will be to transport the bike to Snohomish, Washington (outside of Everett). Read the discussions on the forums here of the various transport companies, seemed honestly to be hit and miss as just about everyone had good and bad experiences with every company. Decided to go with HaulBikes and will need to contact them to work out pick-up as I live on a cul-de-sac and their 80 foot truck cannot get to my home.

Two things I needed to accomplish before I was ready to commit to shipping, first was to register the bike which I accomplished today, surprisingly had all the necessary paperwork. Had to get the plain green Colorado license plate as they are not making "speciality" plates at this time (due to Covid and equipment failure) but was told I can get the Honorably Discharged Veteran plate in a few months.

The second was to get the fairing mounted cell phone holder. Since my afternoon was free (32 deg, windy and light snow, but the roads were clear) and the dealer could take me in, went ahead and took care of that. Glad I took it to the dealer, while the mount was advertised as for 2016 and older Roadmaster and Chieftains, the bracket did not fit. You do have to remove the instrument cluster and speakers (primarily why I took it to the dealer) and they managed to work with the bracket coming up with a cleaver way of mounting.

Like the transport companies, I read a lot about bad experiences at various dealerships in this community and am very fortunate to have had such a good experience with my own Pikes Peak Indian dealer in Colorado Springs. Those guys did not give up and only charged me for an hour of labour even though they took three.

The mount is solid and they ran a lightning cable from the built in USB adapter in the right side of the fairing. Attached the Rokform adapter to the back of my cell phone and fits exactly where I wanted it. Connecting the cable, not only does it charge the phone but can control Pandora from the left handlebar audio controls. Was impressed how the volume automatically adjusts whilst driving. I usually suffer from buyers remorse with just about anything I buy but I have been nothing but pleased with this bike!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Never heard of this mod. The one in the pic really looks neat! VERY interesting!

·
Premium Member
2016 RoadMaster
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
There is no reverse option for any of the kits (Harley, Honda, Indian). You can turn on the tilt lock which keeps the bike upright whilst stopped and push the bike back but if in neutral and on an incline, the bike will roll away from you (D'oh!). Still, you would think it be easier to back a bike if you didn't have to worry about balancing it. Take a look at the introduction training video which really helps to explain what to expect and how this works.

Had a break in the weather yesterday and tried out our Sena headsets with the Indian Bluetooth and cell phone to USB. A lot to fiddle with. Got everything working except for when I try to do the music sharing feature and the music cuts in and out. Still researching that and playing with settings but overall, pretty impressive getting all those things to play with each other.

Now waiting for the call from the HaulBikes driver to give me a one day notice to pick up the bike to take to Washington state. Anytime now to the 9th with delivery up to the 16th. My luck will be called today to pick up tomorrow with 2" of snow predicted...

·
Premium Member
2016 RoadMaster
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bike got picked up today. HaulBikes originally gave me a no later than pickup of 6 April, then was told a few days ago 6 - 8 April. Seems to agree with most everyone, the service is excellent but scheduling could be better. Still, I'm sure there is a lot of juggling to move all these bikes around and remain cost comparative. I met him at a truck stop since I live on a cul-de-sac and can't quite get that 80 foot trailer down there.

Now on its way to the Tilting Motor Works factory in Washington State (via Oklahoma City, I'm told). Given a not later than arrival date from HaulBikes of 19 April, we'll see.

·
Premium Member
2016 RoadMaster
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
According to the contract, today (19 April) is the date to deliver. Called Tilting in Washington, was told HaulBikes called them saying it would be delayed. Bob at Tilting is in the process of moving operations to Eugene, Oregon and since there was a delay, with an unknown delivery date, he asked to have the delivery changed from Washington State to Eugene. I called HaulBikes and was told the bike is in Oklahoma City and maybe next Monday, they might have a delivery date, so call back in a week.

I then asked if they showed the new delivery in Eugene and she said it was still for Washington but remembered changing it, so she entered it again. They certainly are living up to what everyone says, great service, lousy communication.

·
Premium Member
2016 RoadMaster
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tried to give HaulBikes the benefit of the doubt but just received this e-mail:

"We have learned that your shipment has been delayed. Your bike is in one of our secure terminals while we ready delivery in your area. We greatly apologize for this delay. We now expect delivery to occur during week of 5/10. Again, please accept our sincere apologies for this delay. As soon as we have the finalized date, we will provide it."

May 10th is a far cry from April 19th. Starting with the two days they were late in picking up, if they deliver May 10th that will mean it took 32 days to ship. Over a month. Guess I'll take back what I said about great service.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Please keep us updated...I am getting ready to pull the trigger on the TMW myself on my 2015 Chieftain. I actually just spoke with Bob Mighell a few minutes ago to answer a few questions I had:
  • Width of front end after conversion (43 inches) to make sure it would fit my motorcycle trailer;
  • How much weight is added with the TMW conversion (125-150 lbs);
  • Approximate cost of installation at an authorized dealer (not in Washington) - around $2k without painting;
  • How long of a wait to have the kit manufactured after $2k deposit (currently running 6-8 weeks).
I live in Maryland so I will probably end up trailering my bike to North Carolina for the conversion.

I am very interested in how hard the bike will be to back up on a slight incline - I am a 65 y/o woman with short legs and backing can be an issue for me. I know you can put the TiltLock on and get off to push, but I am also interested in how much more effort is required to back up on a level surface while sitting (I realize this is totally subjective, but I would still like to hear).

Good luck on your bike and hope to hear good news on your conversion!

·
Premium Member
2016 RoadMaster
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You don't have short legs, you're vertically challenged. Bob is a great guy, what I like is he takes personal interest and answers all your questions. They (TMW) are in the process of moving from Washington to Eugene, Oregon as we speak and will be a few weeks before they are ready to start making the kits and doing conversions. As much as I'm frustrated as heck with HaulBikes taking another month to deliver my bike (was 19 April, now sometime after 10 May, maybe) it actually works out for the best as they would not be ready to do the conversion right now. I'd rather they had the bike there than sitting in a warehouse in Oklahoma but we'll get through it.

As to the backing up, take a look at this training film and you can see Bob get off the bike and push it backwards (around the 4:30 mark). To be clear anyone else reading about the $2,000 installation, which seems to be the standard as I was doing my research where to send it to, that is only for installation. The TRiO with TiltLock costs $14,000. That's $16,000 and I am getting the colour match (which is two tone, red & ivory cream with gold pin stripping between the colours) and also having them mount the lighted warbonnet from the original front fender to the new front fender (and still be lighted!) for a total of $18,000.

·
Premium Member
2016 RoadMaster
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Down to calling HaulBikes daily getting the same answer, in Oklahoma, no idea when it will go to Nevada (the next terminal it has to go to before actually getting a delivery date). Just received a call from HaulBike saying, "worse case", delivery sometime between 20 and 22 May. Asked when it will leave Oklahoma," hopefully next week", so really they still don't know. She did state they were not taking any new orders as they are so backed up and nothing moving.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts