Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ya'll, give me some input and thoughts. So after riding RM for about 2 hours, I start getting crazy tight shoulders and neck. I added a back rest and that definitely helped with the lower back, worlds of difference but now this issue. I have tried different posture positions and leg positions ect ect and nothing. When riding, I have a slight bend in my arms reaching the bars so I'm not scrunched nor am I fully extended. Anyone got any thoughts because I'm thinking it's a handle bar issue at this point but that's an expensive to just "be guessing". Thanks in advance!

·
Vendor / bronze
2,847 Posts
It is quite common for stock seats to cause discomfort. Stock seats use soft cheap foam and your body fights to stay in place. They seem comfortable in the showroom but many riders opt to pay the $600-$900 for an aftermarket seat. About 98% are happy the did it.

·
Early joiner
236 Posts
Ok ya'll, give me some input and thoughts. So after riding RM for about 2 hours, I start getting crazy tight shoulders and neck. I added a back rest and that definitely helped with the lower back, worlds of difference but now this issue. I have tried different posture positions and leg positions ect ect and nothing. When riding, I have a slight bend in my arms reaching the bars so I'm not scrunched nor am I fully extended. Anyone got any thoughts because I'm thinking it's a handle bar issue at this point but that's an expensive to just "be guessing". Thanks in advance!
Perhaps a medical physical exam is indicated...a cardio work up. What age are you?

·
Bronze member
3,050 Posts
happens to me too... but at about 4 hours into it... stop and walk around it goes away and I can go another 1-2 hours before doing it again.... I have thought about getting reduced reach bars... I'm 6' with a 32" inseam but my shoulders just don't seem relaxed enough to me... and I was thinking reduced reach would take some of the long term cramping out...

Reactions: Geoff-3

·
Bronze member
1,133 Posts
sounds like you need to see your primary care doctor , my friend. Dont ignore it .,please go get a check up,.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thanks for the medical concern im 46 but rest assured I'm healthy as a horse according to doc, it's that my muscels are getting tight while riding so something in my posture/reach/seat ect is off. I hated the seat since day one but was trying to allow it to "breakin".

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
happens to me too... but at about 4 hours into it... stop and walk around it goes away and I can go another 1-2 hours before doing it again.... I have thought about getting reduced reach bars... I'm 6' with a 32" inseam but my shoulders just don't seem relaxed enough to me... and I was thinking reduced reach would take some of the long term cramping out...
Yes this! I can go about 2, then get off walk around then I can go for about another hour and a half and stuffs locking up again. I'm kinda short though compared 5'9 with a 30 inch inseam.

·
Bronze member
1,133 Posts
Well thanks for the medical concern im 46 but rest assured I'm healthy as a horse according to doc, it's that my muscels are getting tight while riding so something in my posture/reach/seat ect is off. I hated the seat since day one but was trying to allow it to "breakin".
consider it could be something small right now, don't wait until it becomes a bigger problem.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm guessing that you're reaching for the bars more than you think. I have then same issue with my victory. I was fine, until I added a seat that set me back further from the handlebars, now I have neck and shoulder pain on longer rides.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm guessing that you're reaching for the bars more than you think. I have then same issue with my victory. I was fine, until I added a seat that set me back further from the handlebars, now I have neck and shoulder pain on longer rides.
Hmmm maybe I should have wife take a pic and look at it, maybe your right....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ok ya'll, give me some input and thoughts. So after riding RM for about 2 hours, I start getting crazy tight shoulders and neck. Thanks in advance!
Just a thought, if you’re a relatively new rider you may be holding the bars too tight. Im guessing that’s not the issue though.

It’s probably a pinched nerve or severe knot somewhere in your upper back. You should see an rmt before trying to figure out what may be causing it. Once you have an issue like that it tends to sustain itself even if you fix the cause.... if an rmt finds a lump in your muscle and you cry like a baby and feel electric shocks in the top of your head - that’s probably your issue. Lol

If you can work it out you might find sitting on the bike doesn’t feel as natural and the change you need to make will seem more obvious.

If you have overdeveloped muscles in one area, your natural posture is probably different than you realize.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Believe it or not, it could be being caused by the position of your head (helmet). Ask yourslef as you're riding if you seem to be holding your head different than you used to, or, if you're looking out of your helmet differently, than in the past.

If you find this to be the case. Some basic isometric neck exercise will certainly help until your neck and shoulders get used to the new position.(the exercises are easily done, and I'd be more than happy to spell them out). If you think this is the problem.

·
Bronze member
1,133 Posts
alternatively wear boots with thicker heel/sole should lift your reach and sitting position.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Believe it or not, it could be being caused by the position of your head (helmet). Ask yourslef as you're riding if you seem to be holding your head different than you used to, or, if you're looking out of your helmet differently, than in the past.

If you find this to be the case. Some basic isometric neck exercise will certainly help until your neck and shoulders get used to the new position.(the exercises are easily done, and I'd be more than happy to spell them out). If you think this is the problem.
Never thought of this, it's the same helmet I have had for years however, sitting position on a Harley vs RM is totally different, will think about this one, thanks

·
Bronze member
1,133 Posts
Yep just changed boots to see if that would help, unfortunately no.
please make appointment to see doctor. get it checked out. little problem now bigger problem later could mean no riding.

·
Registered
34 Posts
try some handlbar extentions friend of mine has that problem he put extentions on seems to have helped

·
Rider
724 Posts
Highway pegs to change sating position, use cruise to alternate hands.

·
Registered
291 Posts
correction Handlebar risers
This, I have gone on very long rides. (4500 miles in 2 weeks, 2000 miles in 4 days...). sometimes i feel like i have a knife in between my shoulder blades. i am 55 and have experienced this since i was 22 with my first bike. all are cruisers, as my short legs can't handle a crotch rocket.

always thought about doing the risers, but have always just gutted through with ben gay and Vitamin I (ibuprofen)

Reactions: TKing and walynut
1 - 20 of 97 Posts