Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after doing some reading and research (including here) about tuner options for my 2019 Roadmaster, I opted to go for the Tier1 tuner.

I'm no stranger to tuning. I've done tuning on my bikes with dobeck, power commanders, gman bully, as well as carb jet kits. I've also done custom tunes on a few of my cars over the years. Most recently thre gman bully system on my 2015 scout, which was absolutely amazing.

The tier 1 is based on different line of thinking on tuning that I've done in the past, but it really makes sense, and is literally plug and play.

I ordered through our very own marcus on this forum through indianaftermarket.com. Really fast shipping, Marcus is awesome.

The tuner came in a cool tin, a nice touch. Looking over the unit itself, the build quality is very good, thick insulation on the wires, sturdy construction of the weatherproofing sealer on the unit. Even included three zip ties for wire routing, and velcro for mounting the unit.

Tier 1 has an install video that I followed. This involved removing the trunk, seat, side covers, air cleaner, throttle body, and horn cover, as well as propping the tank up.

Install from start to finish for me took about 2 hours. I'm fairly confident the install could be completed without removing the air cleaner, as I was able to to all the wiring removal and connections from the right side of the bike.

The most difficult part of the install was getting in to the fuel injector wire connections. A long flat head screwdriver worked well to lift the red tab and then press the black tab. While the recommended hemostatic pliers would have helped, a regular pair of needle nose pliers worked just fine to grab the wiring connector.

The tier 1 connections were spot on and a perfect fit to the OEM connectors. Just make sure the correct one goes on the front. I placed the unit under the left side cover, on the fuse block. When I started the bike, the green light indicated it had power. On startup, two red lights flash as the cylinders fire, and a blue light flashes when the unit is making adjustments under load. You could mount the unit where you could see it while riding, but I opted for out of view mounting.

I've done three separate rides with this new setup, one with each riding mode. I've had no ill effects, no engine codes, no issues at all.

It has some modes you can select, but I left it on the factory default "2" setting for my evaluation, and will play around with other settings on future rides.

Touring mode:
The stock roadmaster felt a bit reserved and stifled in this mode previously, and I didn't use it much. The tier 1 added more punch on acceleration that made this mode feel more like standard mode.

Standard mode:
This was the mode I felt the most comfortable in on most rides, and most of my time testing the tier 1 was in this mode. More punch out the gate, smoother acceleration and, surprisingly, a bit more exhaust thump. More lively across the board.

Sport mode:
This is where the tier 1 really shines. Under "spirited" acceleration, much more punch, push back in the seat feel, and quicker up to all speeds. Including what I would consider too fast for a reasonable person. (100mph sneaks up pretty fast).

In every mode, I've noticed a change in shift points. Previously, i would feel the throttle and acceleration top out in each gear and hit the end of its power curve at fairly reliable speed measurements. With the tier1, each gear stretches out an additional 10mph. I find that 5th gear didn't feel like it hit the end of its power curve until about 85mph, where previously the same feeling kicked in around 65mph.

Bottom line for me: this is the easiest tuner over ever used, and proves excellent results. The fact that you can piggy back this on top of other tuners is incredible. I won't be piggy backing this one though, it's outstanding as is.

Made here in America by American vets. Top quality, top results. I'm 100% satisfied with this.

·
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know if they do one for the 2017 RM? I have a fuel moto and not that happy with it.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
They have just the one designed for the 111 bikes, all years covered. As far as I know, mine is the first 19 with the ride modes to use it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Do you know if they do one for the 2017 RM? I have a fuel moto and not that happy with it.

bishop, why are you not happy with your Turner? I was looking at getting one but at 500 Cad, with exchange and shipping I want to make sure.
Ron

·
Registered
198 Posts
The tune that I received caused my bike to miss when it got hot. Had to keep on the throttle to keep the bike running. Gas mileage was reduced.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,947 Posts
This device is pretty cool. The only thing it does is add more fuel when needed. It constantly adjust itself to the conditions and delivers more fuel. If you use a high flow intake and exhaust the difference it remarkable, The weird part is you can't get a good dyno reading. It changes every time the crank goes around. The dyno tuner doesn't know what to believe. But if you want a simple way to get a lot more power this is great. I am a dealer for this product and have many thrilled customers. I built a Scout that ran 20-40mph in 1.4 seconds. After this tuner, one of my high flow intakes ( I tested with both the dual intake and the Hurican) and a high flow exhaust the time went down to .93 seconds. I might have done better but the tire wanted to spin at 20 mph.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This device is pretty cool. The only thing it does is add more fuel when needed. It constantly adjust itself to the conditions and delivers more fuel. If you use a high flow intake and exhaust the difference it remarkable, The weird part is you can't get a good dyno reading. It changes every time the crank goes around. The dyno tuner doesn't know what to believe. But if you want a simple way to get a lot more power this is great. I am a dealer for this product and have many thrilled customers. I built a Scout that ran 20-40mph in 1.4 seconds. After this tuner, one of my high flow intakes ( I tested with both the dual intake and the Hurican) and a high flow exhaust the time went down to .93 seconds. I might have done better but the tire wanted to spin at 20 mph.
Hi Marcus. Tier 1 with a high flow air cleaner i.e. Lloydz using stock cover, I would need a tune in addition to the Tier 1 correct? And thanks.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,947 Posts
That is a nice feature about the Tier1Tuner. It will adjust your fuel automatically when you add a ne pipe and or intake. You don't need to tune the other aspects of your engine.

·
Registered
99 chief , 18 roadmaster, 07 roadking, 15 softail
75 Posts
Wonder what type of fuel mileage it gives compared to a stock tune on say a 2018 rm ,in sport mode, sounds fun haha.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,947 Posts
It gives more power but reduces mileage a little. With the Dobeck EJK (similar device made by Dobeck brother) you will see an increase in MPG plus more power but not as much as the Tier1Tuner. Both devices are made by the Dobeck brothers and they compete and disagree on design. Their father is the guy that invented the Dyno. My mileage dropped about 2-3 MPG using the Tier!Tuner but my smiles per mile went up.

·
Registered
99 chief , 18 roadmaster, 07 roadking, 15 softail
75 Posts
It gives more power but reduces mileage a little. With the Dobeck EJK (similar device made by Dobeck brother) you will see an increase in MPG plus more power but not as much as the Tier1Tuner. Both devices are made by the Dobeck brothers and they compete and disagree on design. Their father is the guy that invented the Dyno. My mileage dropped about 2-3 MPG using the Tier!Tuner but my smiles per mile went up.
So does the tuner have 3 modes to choose from or was the op speaking about his bike having the 3 modes? Im not familiar with the 2019 rm but assumed it was the same as my 18.

·
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 3 modes I referred to are touring, standard and sport modes selectable in the ride command screen, built in to the bike.

The tier 1 has 8 or so settings, selected by a small dial on the device itself.

As far as mpg, I haven't noticed a change, but I'm not very consistent in my throttle "enthusiasm" and my mileage varies widely between 35 and 50.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,947 Posts
The Dobeck EJK has six modes with 8 settings each. Basically it lets you taylor the aggressive level in different riding modes (idle, cruise, flat out, etc.) The Tier1Tuner does all of this automatically. There are different settings but they are specific to your bike. You don't change it. The 111 Indian bikes will have one setting and a Harley will have another, etc.

·
Rider
791 Posts
I like everything I hear about the T1T... I've watched the install vid and decided the installation is way outside my comfort zone. I would like to get it, but I'll probably just keep using my Dobeck EJK.

My local dealer said they never heard of it and I would be writing a blank check for labor, as they have no idea how long it might take to install for me...

·
King of the nuts
258 Posts
@Mack thank you for the comprehensive write up. When I was in the market for a tuner I considered this but not a lot of user reviews I could find at the time with detailed info. Many people will find this helpful.

Reactions: Mack

·
Registered
11 Posts
I like everything I hear about the T1T... I've watched the install vid and decided the installation is way outside my comfort zone. I would like to get it, but I'll probably just keep using my Dobeck EJK.

My local dealer said they never heard of it and I would be writing a blank check for labor, as they have no idea how long it might take to install for me...
I just installed the T1T on my RM. The prep work was the biggest time suck. Pull the trunk, pull the seat, pull the tank. While doing all that I went ahead and installed a Lloydz air cleaner. The actual installation was simple, 4 plugs, T1T to front injector, OEM front injector plug to T1T plug, T1T to rear injector, OEM rear injector plug to T1T injector plug and a ground wire to battery negative. Accessing and unplugging the injector wires off the front and rear injectors was the PITA. Totally doeable if you're comfortable wrenching on your bike.

·
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just installed the T1T on my RM. The prep work was the biggest time suck. Pull the trunk, pull the seat, pull the tank. While doing all that I went ahead and installed a Lloydz air cleaner. The actual installation was simple, 4 plugs, T1T to front injector, OEM front injector plug to T1T plug, T1T to rear injector, OEM rear injector plug to T1T injector plug and a ground wire to battery negative. Accessing and unplugging the injector wires off the front and rear injectors was the PITA. Totally doeable if you're comfortable wrenching on your bike.
Agreed, the prep work was the hard part. I did find that I only had to prop the tank up a few inches instead of totally removing it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
613 Posts
I didn't do any tuning on mine. Yet anyways. I had been riding since I got it at the end of May this year in Tour mode. Well I put it in sport mode the other day, and now I like it so I guess I'll leave it in that mode for now. See how the commute is on fuel mileage. So far it seems to be keeping close to par with the tour mode. But can definitely tell the responsiveness from the throttle. As well as acceleration and power. Should have tapped that screen for it sooner! haha

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Dobeck EJK has six modes with 8 settings each. Basically it lets you taylor the aggressive level in different riding modes (idle, cruise, flat out, etc.) The Tier1Tuner does all of this automatically. There are different settings but they are specific to your bike. You don't change it. The 111 Indian bikes will have one setting and a Harley will have another, etc.
Hi Marcus:
I already bough T1T for my RM in indianaftermarket.com, could you please let me know estimate delivery time to Mexico City?

Also if you have some instructional videos on how to install it on 111 Indian.

Thanks and warm regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This video helped a lot when I installed mine....(2 parts)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts