Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to pick up my new "Chally" in the next couple weeks in my covered trailer. Any suggestions on FRONT tie down points/positions? I live in MA.....roads/weather aren't too bad right this moment....but there is still a LOT of winter left up here in the northeast. Otherwise I would ride it home! Thnx

·
Premium Member
425 Posts

Reactions: TigerGA

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
Handle bars are a good option. You can also reach up under the fairing and loop the tie downs around the fork tubes just above the lower triple tree. Or the hwy bars are also a good option.

Your dealer will also let you know what the good spots are.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Its the same cast aluminum as the rest of the frame, personally I see nothing wrong with it. That said, I wrapped around the fork tube above the lower triple tree, which is what it happens to say to do in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Here’s where I tied my down in the front for trailer or ramp.
For the rear I used the rear crash bars.
Just don’t over tighten/compress forks I also used a chock.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I like Moto Max's suggestion....and when I called my dealer, that's what they suggested also.I also agree with Gort......NOT THERE Arapaho. That's just a cast part.....not much strength in that part.
The Handlebars are a terrible option. It will work on some bikes but this bike is way to heavy for handlebar tie downs!!! The people who make the handlebar tie downs (Canyon Dancers) told me that. I have a Condor front wheel chock and tied down to both the front and rear crash bars pulling out and forward. Went from WI to FL and return for bike week. No issues at all. It was perfect. The lower triple clamp in the front is a better option because being higher on the bike is more stable.

·
Registered
141 Posts
There is plenty of room to go around trees on the challenger, just look under faring, and yes tie back, I go around tire 2 straps one each way and tied down, bike will dance to one side or other if u done. I use the Wheel Dock works great if u load by yourself👍👍

·
Bronze member
2,712 Posts
Do you guys also tie down the rear?
Yes, you need some tie down on the rear to keep the rear from moving in the event of a severe swerve or hitting a large pothole, debris, etc. The rear can move if enough force is applied...happened to a buddy’s Street Glide In an enclosed trailer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, you need some tie down on the rear to keep the rear from moving in the event of a severe swerve or hitting a large pothole, debris, etc. The rear can move if enough force is applied...happened to a buddy’s Street Glide In an enclosed trailer.
Where do you tie the rear down? I don’t have crash bars on my challenger

·
Bronze member
2,712 Posts
Where do you tie the rear down? I don’t have crash bars on my challenger
I run a tie down strap thru the rear wheel and clamp the strap down. that’ll apply enough force to the wheel to keep the rear from dancing right/left if things go wrong. Or, you can use the rear foot pegs.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The only reason I use rear tie downs is that the rear can move a little if you hit the right bumps and you will. Before I had rear crash bars I tied down at the bar where the rear foot pegs attached it work well but really could not pull forward just straight to the side or a little backwards in this case. But all you are doing back there is keeping it from bouncing side to side.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Here’s where I tied my down in the front for trailer or ramp.
For the rear I used the rear crash bars.
Just don’t over tighten/compress forks I also used a chock. View attachment 628456
DutchVDub
Works great, easier to get off the bike with it and on my old Chieftain I had to drop the motor to change the valve springs. (585 cams)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts