Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts

Thunder Stroke High Flow Air Cleaner Indian Motorcycle Store AU

Anyone had issues with his new Air Cleaner? Heard from one dealer that there has been some heat issues and that Indian is looking at a revision with different faceplate.
Vaughan, there are a number of threads regarding the Indian air cleaners, most are in "Performance" area....where I'm going to move this thread.

Many questions can be answered by using the search bar on the top right, lots of discussions and install guidance has been offered up by posters here.

WELCOME to the board!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
I am thinking of removing the rear muffler plugs on my roadmaster.Do I have to reflash the computer or will it adjust itself.I don't think the added air flow would be that significant.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
I am thinking of removing the rear muffler plugs on my roadmaster.Do I have to reflash the computer or will it adjust itself.I don't think the added air flow would be that significant.
I don't think it's required, can't seem to recall anyone reflashing after knocking the plugs out. However, I would urge you to read some of posts of those who have already took the plugs out.

Search bar toward top right of page, type in "muffler" or "muffler plugs" and you should get quite a few hits.

WELCOME to the board!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Is there a difference in performance or sound between stock pipes with the plugs removed and stage one pipes.I know the stage ones don't have plugs in them .I was wondering if there were any other differences .

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Myself and three friends all have 2014 Vintage. I have Stage 1 with Six Shooter Tips on my 2014 Vintage. Another has same but with Shark Fin Tips. Another mate has stock standard exhaust. And lucky but not last has stock exhaust with plugs removed. Here's my opinion:
  • Stock no plugs - nice warm sound, a bit louder but not aggressive or annoying. No power gain.
  • Stock exhaust - cannot hear him :D
  • Stage 1 with Shark Fins - much louder, richer sound, higher pitch and snappy slap when throttle squeezed, approx 10-15% gain in torque and 10% better fuel economy running on higher octane (95 or 98)
  • Stage 1 with Six Shooter - much louder, deeper but nice rumble, sounds like spanked tiger when throttle is tugged, same gains in torque and fuel economy as above.
Hope that helps

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just the exhaust - the technician in the shop also programs the ECM. The tips make a big difference to the sound. Am thinking about adding the High Flow Air Cleaner as prefer the Indian one to the S & S option. Apparently, more throttle response on the high flow - see other listings in this forum (under performance) on the High Flow AC

·
Registered
125 Posts
Myself and three friends all have 2014 Vintage. I have Stage 1 with Six Shooter Tips on my 2014 Vintage. Another has same but with Shark Fin Tips. Another mate has stock standard exhaust. And lucky but not last has stock exhaust with plugs removed. Here's my opinion:
  • Stock no plugs - nice warm sound, a bit louder but not aggressive or annoying. No power gain.
  • Stock exhaust - cannot hear him :D
  • Stage 1 with Shark Fins - much louder, richer sound, higher pitch and snappy slap when throttle squeezed, approx 10-15% gain in torque and 10% better fuel economy running on higher octane (95 or 98)
  • Stage 1 with Six Shooter - much louder, deeper but nice rumble, sounds like spanked tiger when throttle is tugged, same gains in torque and fuel economy as above.
Hope that helps
I can't understand how different tips make different sounds. When I picked up my Vintage the tips weren't in yet, so I took it with none. One week later got Fishtails put on and noticed no difference.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Need the Stage 1 - plenty of clips on the Net of six shooters versus fishtail (sharktail) tips. Six shooter...deeper growl...Fishtails...higher pitch and crisper.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Need the Stage 1 - plenty of clips on the Net of six shooters versus fishtail (sharktail) tips. Six shooter...deeper growl...Fishtails...higher pitch and crisper.
Different Sound and Tone Quality from Different Pipes and/or Tips is because of the innerards of the pipes and the SHAPE of the Exhaust Tips, just plain physics.

I think
o_O

·
Registered
240 Posts
I am now thinking of adding the thunder stroke high flow A/C and punching out the plugs on the stock exhaust.I have a 2015 roadmaster.Has anyone done this,if so did you notice an increase in power,any increase or decrease in MPG,and did the bike run any cooler.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,602 Posts
I am now thinking of adding the thunder stroke high flow A/C and punching out the plugs on the stock exhaust.I have a 2015 roadmaster.Has anyone done this,if so did you notice an increase in power,any increase or decrease in MPG,and did the bike run any cooler.
This has been brought up many times in different threads here. Go to the Indian site and look at the options for the RM. The Big Sucker intake is not listed. If you go and look at the Big Sucker intake on the other models at the bottom of the description page it shows "Not for my 15 RM". I called the Polaris techs and found out that due to the leg fairings, there is not sufficient airflow to the back jug. Naturally if the leg fairings were removed this would not be an issue. The stock air filter pan has an air duct built into the back of the base plate to help bring air to the aft jug. There have been some members that have gone ahead and put the Big Sucker intake on their RMs. In these cooler months that probably won't be an issue but I would worry what will happen in the heat of the summer months. Do what you want but Polaris does not recommend it. Some refer to the 2015 accessory book and it is shown there as for the 2015 RMs. This book was written early last year. The website has been updated since that book has been written and the factory does not recommend this any more. I would love to install the BS intake and get rid of the big bedpan they call the factory filter assy but I am not going to risk this on my new 30K investment. Dean E

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thanks Dean I appreciate the info.I think I will just punch the plugs and do a reflash of the ECM . I don't want to run it to lean. I know the factory runs them lean to pass EPA.Has anyone done this and not reflashed and has anyone done it and reflashed .What are the results?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thank you for the reply Roadmaster 15.Did you change your exhaust or modify the stock exhaust.Does the bike run any cooler,did it effect your MPG.I was only able to get 2300 miles on my RM before the snow hit.I want to do some modifications to let the bike run cooler and improve MPG.I would like to get this done at the 2500 mile service.I am trying to get all the information I can before making a decision.Still waiting for the thaw here in Northeast Ohio.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Do it, nothing changes but the sound, nothing needed as far as flash goes, and it's worth the trouble. I put over a thousand miles on mine after plug removal, if anything it may run a hair cooler, and the clacking that people talk about, that I may have had a mild case of, went away 100% right after removing the plugs.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thanks for the reply pioneerscot.I drilled the plugs using a bi-metal holesaw and two 12 inch drill extensions which I purchased at Sears.It took less than 5 minutes.On my previous carburated bikes when modifying exhaust and or A/C I also rejetted the carb.I checked this by running down the highway pulling over and checking the plugs.A toasty brown color indicated you had the proper jetting,white too lean, black too rich.Do you know what method is used on todays computerized systems.Can the dealer hook the bike up and tell me if I need a reflash.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Thank you for the reply Roadmaster 15.Did you change your exhaust or modify the stock exhaust.Does the bike run any cooler,did it effect your MPG.I was only able to get 2300 miles on my RM before the snow hit.I want to do some modifications to let the bike run cooler and improve MPG.I would like to get this done at the 2500 mile service.I am trying to get all the information I can before making a decision.Still waiting for the thaw here in Northeast Ohio.
I have Stage 1 pipes and the High Flow air cleaner on my RM. I had the pipes installed when I picked up the bike so can't tell what that did from stock. The air cleaner was put on a few weeks ago and it definitely increased performance and seemed to increased MPG 3-4 points. I'm getting 43 MPG after the air cleaner install around town, compared to about 38 or 39 before. It's a bit cold here too so I can't really say if it's running cooler or not.

Reactions: SterlingDrive
1 - 20 of 51 Posts