Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little something I came across in an independent study, made me realize what I really had with that engine:

"The engine is beautifully designed and crafted. 118 ft-lbs torque at 3,000 rpm on a stock 111 cubic inch (1,811cc) 49 degree V-Twin engine.
The crankshaft is single pin totally forged steel one-piece design. It means the flywheels will never, ever, slip out of position like on the Harley-Davidson and throw the engine out of balance. No need to weld this crankpin to the webs. The main bearings are 2.5" which are incredibly huge for a motorcycle engine (they are as big a car engine bearings) which means you could get 300,000 miles or more on the bottom end. This beefy crankshaft is the beast within the Indian that will earn it big respect. The engine will remain strong when the top-end is punched out for bigger pistons, etc.. This crankshaft is not going to fail. The crank journal accepts Babbitt bearing fracture-split connecting rods just like heavy industrial diesel and high-performance racing engines. This is a real bullet-proof crankshaft and rod assembly.

The three cam shafts (one for each exhaust valve, the center cam drives both intake valves) are chain and gear driven where it counts to maintain precise valve timing. The cam gears are self-adjusting split helical gears. The intake cam is chain driven, the two exhaust cams are gear driven side-by-side just like the HD Sportster engine. The cam chain does drive the intake cam, but it is on the outside only, not an inner chain, so it means you can actually replace the cam chain, follower and chain guide yourself. Yes, there is a cam chain follower on that chain, but again, you can replace it yourself. As easy as replacing a spark plug! I would have rather seen all gears and no chain, but this design arrangement is so easy to inspect and replace the cam chain follower and chain I would buy this engine, no qualms about it. When Roland Sands makes a "Clarity" cam cover for the engine you should buy one to keep a visual watch on any follower wear.

Valve springs are beehive-shape design. Very, very nice! Look at the straight parallel push rods. No twisting taking place here in the valve train means better valve control and less wear and tear. The push rods rise nearly straight up like in the HD Sportster. This means valve lift control will be direct and much more precise then the HD Twin-Cam. The hollow push rods also act as oil gallery feeds to lubricate and cool the valve stems, springs, rockers, etc.
The engine has been tested for one million miles during development. The valve covers have cast shallow fins for cooling and looks, but some nice aftermarket deep-finned covers would be even better, just like the old Indian engines had and they would shed heat way better. Just nit-picking here..."

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a response one of our South MS IMRG members sent to me. I think he rides a Chieftain:

Great motor?
Unfortunately, mine clacks and rattles like the motor is going to come apart. Indian assures me and our service department that this is normal and refuses to correct the problem. Many owners on the Indian forums have had this trouble, especially with the 2014 models.
Anyone else having this trouble? I am considering different options.

Former proud Indian owner,

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
It's my understanding that Indian found what was going on in 2014 and made the change on all 2015 models.
I for one have the 2015 Roadmaster, quite and a beastie sound that comes within.
I might add that in 2015 they changed the handlebar shape, which is a lot more comfortable then the 2014 year.

·
Banned
2,570 Posts
The valve covers have cast shallow fins for cooling and looks, but some nice aftermarket deep-finned covers would be even better, just like the old Indian engines had and they would shed heat way better.
Not sure there is room for longer cooling fins.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,227 Posts
Here is a response one of our South MS IMRG members sent to me. I think he rides a Chieftain:

Great motor?
Unfortunately, mine clacks and rattles like the motor is going to come apart. Indian assures me and our service department that this is normal and refuses to correct the problem. Many owners on the Indian forums have had this trouble, especially with the 2014 models.

There is a whole section in the forum on the clanking issues with this engine. Not all do it but a small percentage do and are very frustrated from the lack of attention on the matter by Polaris. I agree that the 111 is a great engine but the noise issue does hurt the reputation that could be had on this product. Dean

·
Super Moderator
4,969 Posts

If it doesn't make him happy then he should get rid of it, explore those other options!! Again, has there been 1 engine failure due to "clacking"??

Is it a pain in the arse to hear, I bet so....but if it's ruining his riding experience then for Christ's sake get rid of that clacker!!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,088 Posts
It's my understanding that Indian found what was going on in 2014 and made the change on all 2015 models.
I for one have the 2015 Roadmaster, quite and a beastie sound that comes within.
I might add that in 2015 they changed the handlebar shape, which is a lot more comfortable then the 2014 year.
My 2015 RM still sounds like it's conning apart.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a 2016 RM and it has the same clacking sound, so I guess the problem has not been resolved. The service department tells me that almost all the 111's have the same noise and it's nothing to worry about. Maybe if I put on some louder pipes and wear some ear plugs the sound will disappear.

·
Founding member / distinguished
5,478 Posts
I ride a 2015 Chief Classic with no windshield or fairing, plus I wear a full-face modular helmet, as such, the only engine sound I can hear is a muted roar from exhaust system. If it's 'clacking' I can't hear it from the saddle. I do know that windshields and some fairings can deflect, and even amplify engine noises up to the rider, so that may or may not be a contributing factor in the mehanical noise complaints concerning the 111.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Complaining about click, clatter and clack? You must have been riding a Goldwing before hopping on American Muscle. Ever ride a quite Harley? The only time and of my Harleys were quite was when the engine died on the road.

Click, clatter and clack? Music to my ears. Music to many of us. Keep playing to us almighty beast that sound that drives our souls.

(kinda poetic, aayy);)

·
Registered
104 Posts
when I was on my HD's + windshild + half helmet I could hear a lot of different noises from valve, pistons, frame etc. like on my chieftain.
My previous twin cam softail was not able to shift in 2nd when cold ( also after 10 years and 70.000 Km) like some chief does.
I never rode a new rushmore engine but I don't think that things changed a lot.
I accepted the 111 cc engine noise as natural on a big twin.
I don't see many differences beteeen the two brands unless we speak about handling and shocks. My chieftain is really smooth.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
There have been some threads here about changing the oil to 100% synthetic like Amsoil, etc. The posters swear that the engine was slightly quieter and any shifting problems when cold were eliminated. I don't know if this is true, but it's worth a shot.
Been running full synthetic for the last 15,000 miles in my 2015 Chieftain, it does shift a little smoother and does run cooler for sure.

>--------> >--------> >-------->

Live Free and Die Well

1 - 19 of 19 Posts