Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Rider
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys
Is it me or could there be something going on here?
The throttle is in sport mode and has been for quite some time so its not like any change that im not used to.
It seems lately that we have to twist the throttle way more just to get it to react.
Once it starts controlling and changing the rpm its very linear and smooth but till it does it seems it take approx 1/8 of a turn to do so.
I believe I remember it almost instantly with no lag at all so to speak but now there seems to be a big bit of lag before it starts controlling.
I dont know if there is a way to check this or if something is going faulty in it.
My thoughts are if it was going bad there would be a flat spot then a bit of a jump but doesnt do that.
This is a drive by wire setup as you know but it acts like there is a great big amount of play in the cable before it changes rhe rpm and starts moving the throttle.
This was just noticed yesterday and it was all at once not something that crept up slowly.
I am all ears if anyone can shed any light on this.
BTW we are running a PV3 with a Craig map.
The Motor runs really well.
Thanks!

·
Bronze member
3,350 Posts
sounds like the computer slipped into rain or what they used to call touring mode... have you tried changing your setting and then changing it back?

·
Rider
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that was the first thing done was walked it to tour then std then back to sport.
I didnt try it after restarting the bike and see if it was the same though.
Def something different about it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just try starting it again and see if it is gone. I had this happen several times to my Chief. I think it has to do with me touching the throttle during start. it makes sense that the computer might be doing a sanity check on start and setting the start throttle position on startup..

·
Registered
916 Posts
Happens on my Roadmaster. Sometimes sport mode is epic and fun. Sometimes it’s a lot more like tour mode. Only way I’ve found to fix it is to ride for a while in tour or standard. Usually 10-20 miles will do it. Then switch back to sport.

·
Rider
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow so its something actually happening and not my big imagination.
When we get home later today will fire it up and see what we got.

·
Rider
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update on the throttle .
Started up the bike.
All is back to normal operation.
The only thing we are thinking of what was said by Don was still learning the throttle when I rolled it a little.
That seemed to be the reference point from there so for 30 seconds resist touching the throttle maybe?

·
Rider
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Started up bike from work going home and it was sluggish operating and took great deal of twist compared to sport mode. Didnt touch it when first started for about 30 secs.
It was fine going into work.
I made a visual on how much twist before raising rpm.
Stopped off for fuel and when restarted all was fine and it was really snappy.
Somethings up just dont know what.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Started up bike from work going home and it was sluggish operating and took great deal of twist compared to sport mode. Didnt touch it when first started for about 30 secs.
It was fine going into work.
I made a visual on how much twist before raising rpm.
Stopped off for fuel and when restarted all was fine and it was really snappy.
Somethings up just dont know what.
Let us know if you make any sense out of it. Seems like one of those issues only the owner will ever experience. No way would it rear it’s head under a dealer inspection.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had this happen once last week. I was leaving my driveway in the morning and it seemed to have a dead spot in the throttle. It didn't really respond and then it would suddenly kick in. It was a real jerky ride to work. Haven't experienced it again since.

·
Rider
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since the last issue wirh it we energize the system and start and dont touch throttle for 20 to 30 secs. Dont even look at it.
Seem to see it iwhen move throttle right away. I have moved bike under power within 5 secs but maybe giving system time to recognize will allow it time to learn.
Dont lnow for sure if this is or not.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Throttle response on my 2020 Roadmaster Elite is Not good either. Running a pv3 with upgraded cams downturned Vance & Hines. motor runs great but has a dead spot in the throttle.

On Startup also the motor barely runs.sounds weak.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts