Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who has watched the Ride Like a Pro videos knows, the way to do slow speed maneuvering is to feather the clutch while manipulating the throttle and riding the rear brake. My bike will not allow this! It shuts the throttle down to idle. Anyone else notice this? Someone posted somewhere that the 2015s do not do this and there is a fix for this, but Indian doesn't seem to know anything about this. Any info?

·
Registered
3 Posts
You have probably figured this out by now, but for others reading your post...

Indian programmed a throttle over-ride when the brakes were applied for a few seconds (3 seconds as i recall). As i understand, that has been eliminated for the 2015's and a re-flash available from dealers at no charge for pre-2015 models to eliminate the over-ride.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a Brand New 2015 Roadmaster. I've only got 200 miles on it and the BTO is definitely still in operation on mine. It seems to be only above 15-20 mph. To test it, I just applied the rear brake and throttle at the same time for a few seconds and the throttle shuts down. Release the brake and the throttle comes back to life. It doesn't seem to work if you are going less than 15 mph. At least I sure as hell hope it doesn't decide to start working while I'm pulling a tight U Turn in a parking lot.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
That article has been debunked by Polaris as not true.... Someone had said ( on one of the Indian forums ) that they are now reflashing your ECM to remove the BTO ( brake throttle override ) check with your dealer...

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
That article has been debunked by Polaris as not true.... Someone had said ( on one of the Indian forums ) that they are now reflashing your ECM to remove the BTO ( brake throttle override ) check with your dealer...
Whether the article is true of not, my bike definitely loses the throttle when the rear brake is applied for more than a few seconds. It's not a real big issue, now that I know about it. But there have been times that I would add some rear brake and throttle in a curve and this could create some pucker factor if you weren't aware that it was gonna happen. I personally think it creates an UNSAFE condition rather than a safety option.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Anyone who has watched the Ride Like a Pro videos knows, the way to do slow speed maneuvering is to feather the clutch while manipulating the throttle and riding the rear brake. My bike will not allow this! It shuts the throttle down to idle. Anyone else notice this? Someone posted somewhere that the 2015s do not do this and there is a fix for this, but Indian doesn't seem to know anything about this. Any info?
I have been seriously considering trading my Vic XR for a Chieftan. There are still a few 2014's out there at a decent discount. But, the BTO "thing" is a major issue for me. When I started riding 4 years ago I had a lot of trouble smoothly executing sharp, slow speed turns until I got a'hold of the Ride Like a Pro video and mastered the clutch feathering/ rear brake dragging technique.

The aforementioned article looks like an official Indian notice while actually being a 2nd hand note in the 2040 Motos cycle sales website. And, I also found the same article in the Motorcycle.com website.

Now, with first hand experience as reported by bobcat and RSV2007, along with chiefwannabe 1's news that "Polaris has debunked the article as not true", I am left wondering ... hummmm?

Yes...any more info on this?

Thanks!

...MDHawk

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have a 2015 and it DOES exhibit the 'kill the throttle' when a brake is applied. Eventually I'll get the re-flash to eliminate this, but for now I can live with it.

Reactions: RSV2007

·
Registered
218 Posts
I purchased my new 2014 Chieftan yesterday. While discussing options and the desire to have the BTO re-flashed (eliminated), the sales manager was clearly aware of the issue and offered to have the re-flash performed at no charge. Nice!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I purchased my new 2014 Chieftan yesterday. While discussing options and the desire to have the BTO re-flashed (eliminated), the sales manager was clearly aware of the issue and offered to have the re-flash performed at no charge. Nice!
Now that is service. I am guessing the dealer was Chesapeake in Annapolis?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Now that is service. I am guessing the dealer was Chesapeake in Annapolis?
You quite correct, halld. It was Guy at Chesapeake... a real stand-up guy!

Reactions: harry

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Good play on words:)

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
I asked about the BTO being flashed away on my new 2015 Chieftain before I bought it earlier this month, they said the 2015 models have already been flashed to eliminate the BTO.

I have not experienced and problems with mine, so hopefully this information is correct.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I asked about the BTO being flashed away on my new 2015 Chieftain before I bought it earlier this month, they said the 2015 models have already been flashed to eliminate the BTO.

I have not experienced and problems with mine, so hopefully this information is correct.
Not entirely true. I have a 2015 Chieftain and it definitely exhibits the BTO. If you look through the previous posts you'll see others with 2015 models that exhibit the same.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Guess they must have flashed mine since I have not experienced any problems and I ride certain twistes and heavy traffic, using brake and throttle and clutch techniques.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mine was re-flashed to eliminate BTO at the same time they did a re-flash for high flow air cleaner. Don't know if re-flash eliminates BTO altogether, or just at lower speeds.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Mine will allow throttle and brake at low speeds. 2015 Chief Vintage. Bought it last week.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I haven't had that issue,but bought my ride in September so the re-flash was probably done already.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I haven't had that issue,but bought my ride in September so the re-flash was probably done already.
Since BTO elimination didn't become available until early December on the Digital Wrench update, yours has not been removed. Many folks never noticed it at all, due to their riding style. I still recommend getting the latest flash as soon as you can, there are other updates in there also that should be done to address other issues that they have seen and fixed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts