Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

Did some research in the forums and saw discussions of both throttle locks (mainly Atlas) versus throttle assist (mainly Crampbuster). If I were going to buy one over then other and wasn’t concerned about price difference, which would it be?

I’ve been going on longer rides with friends who have cruise control. While my wrist doesn’t get tired I find keeping a steady speed to be tough — I get a bit too far ahead then slow down and overcompensate so I speed back up, etc. Not a big deal in scheme of things but consistency would be nice.

I’m thinking throttle lock for my situation but welcome advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the Avon Air Grips with Throttle Assist. I got it because my hand goes numb and though it helps some, its not a true remedy and also because I wanted fatter grips for my hands. It is nice to be able to use my palm to attempt to keep speed while I stretch my fingers and get blood flowing again. I find it difficult to really maintain one speed using just my palm, the throttle is just more sensitive. Im not fully happy with the assist.

I do go on a lot of longer rides (4-5 hours) often and a few times a year 10 day trips.

I will be getting the BreakAway cruise control for my bike. I am choosing this one because it has a safety feature for when you grab the brakes it automatically releases the throttle. I dont want to need to break and the engine is still pushing me forward. I am assuming the clamp-on ones have some sort of release but have not seen where they really talk about it as a feature. Others will be better educated than myself on that topic.

It is the top of the line and a bit more expensive but for me ill pay for what I perceive to be a better safety option

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm the same way. My hand cramps during long rides.
I heard good reviews about Atlas and BreakAway, but just too costly. I have a buddy that uses the Crampbuster and he's satisfied with it.
I'll be interested what other folks are using and what their feedbacks are.

·
Founding member
2,316 Posts
I've had a Crampbuster for years, both with my old bike (no cruise control) and on my Chieftain (with cc). I enjoy being able to relax the throttle grip while riding in local/city traffic where I wouldn't use the cruise control. That being said, if your main use is long rides then I would suggest going with a throttle lock.

HOWEVER, if you're expecting to use a throttle lock to keep a steady pace with others riding with cruise, you'll be unhappy with the results. The throttle lock will maintain constant throttle ... not constant speed. Might work OK on perfectly flat stretches of road, but any hills/valleys will see you going slower/faster than your partners (and you'll have to mess with the throttle lock). Even with a cruise control, I find that it is impossible for different bikes to perfectly match speed when riding in a group. You have to frequently increase/decrease the cruise as you slowly creep away from each other. It's not bad, but you'll find that a throttle lock (or even cruise control) will give you results similar to what you're getting with you existing long distance rides.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Like Buzzardjrt, I have a set of Avon air grips with an integrated throttle assist. I had carpal tunnel in my right hand and couldn’t maintain throttle positions for too long without my hand cramping up on me. I personally also use a throttle lock, the $30 one from cycle gear, and love having both. While it’s not a “cruise control” it will help maintaining a throttle position, RPM’s, and it just takes some practice to understand when to give it some more or less on hills. I do mean practice though, many people advocate that a throttle lock is dangerous because you can’t brake quick enough (a person might forget to disengage the lock, but there are ones where as soon as you brake the lock disengages). If you do decide on a throttle lock, just make sure you practice disengaging it while also going to brake, anything can happen out on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rider
847 Posts
Like Buzzardjrt, I have a set of Avon air grips with an integrated throttle assist. I had carpal tunnel in my right hand and couldn’t maintain throttle positions for too long without my hand cramping up on me. I personally also use a throttle lock, the $30 one from cycle gear, and love having both. While it’s not a “cruise control” it will help maintaining a throttle position, RPM’s, and it just takes some practice to understand when to give it some more or less on hills. I do mean practice though, many people advocate that a throttle lock is dangerous because you can’t brake quick enough (a person might forget to disengage the lock, but there are ones where as soon as you brake the lock disengages). If you do decide on a throttle lock, just make sure you practice disengaging it while also going to brake, anything can happen out on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What an abortion! :-(

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. This is really informational. It’s a bit disappointing a throttle lock won’t function exactly as a cruise control but hearing it described illustrates why - the device isn’t regulating speed but rather the throttle position; results will differ depending on flat versus incline/decline riding. So I’m grateful I learned that now instead of after buying one.

Adjusting speed to keep up with friends isn’t a big deal. Maybe it keeps riding more authentic in a way.

Thanks again — the guidance is much appreciated.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The BreakAway device above is the one to get as it releases with your front brake for safety. It also allows slight adjustments when its set to compensate for hills, etc. not perfect, but best thing out there that closely mimics the real thing. Had one on my wife’s Softail, very nicely designed piece.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I’ve been going on longer rides with friends who have cruise control. While my wrist doesn’t get tired I find keeping a steady speed to be tough — I get a bit too far ahead then slow down and overcompensate so I speed back up, etc. Not a big deal in scheme of things but consistency would be nice.

I’m thinking throttle lock for my situation but welcome advice. Thanks.
Here's my take on cruise control and the expectation of keeping steady with other riders. I ride with a few other Indians on long trips and am often in the rear as my white helmet stands out and everyone can see we're still all together. We are all on TS111 bikes and all have cruise control.

If we are riding long highways on cruise I often find myself slowly dropping behind or catching up with the others. I nudge the cruise button one way or the other to try to match their speed but it never finds that perfect spot. I've never asked the others if they experience the same thing as nudging the button is easy, so perhaps I'm the lone one here. My take on it has been that the tolerance built into the cruise control is not perfectly matched between different bikes.

If I am riding by myself I can hit the cruise and leave it without worrying about matching anyone else, and I suspect this is where you will most appreciate having a throttle lock.

You say you don't have any problems with cramps etc so a throttle lock makes more sense than a crampbuster.

I had a Scout in 2016/17 before my current Springfield and used to do long days on it. I was thinking of a throttle lock for it back then and would definitely have gone for the breakaway one as the safer option.

Another thought is a pair of Grip Puppies. These fit over the grips and give a fatter grip. They might make is easier to match speed with the others. My memory of the Scout is that the grips were hard and fairly skinny. Fatter grips take a little less concentration to hold in position.

·
Registered
159 Posts
It sounds like you understand that it's not a cruise control...

I bought another type of throttle lock for my victory about 10 years ago. It goes in the end of the handlebar. The brand was called Throttlemeister. I'm not saying it's any better (or worst) than the other brands, just a different type. I used it on a 5000 mile trip from Ark to Nova Scotia, and it was a life saver.
Good luck with your choice.

Here is a quick article that discusses the various types.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm late to the discussion but I've tried both the Crampbuster and the Atlas, and neither was very satisfactory on my Scout.

Getting the Crampbuster adjusted correctly for cruising means it's pitched way up at idle, and I just didn't feel safe with it on there. Too easy to accidentally bump and give the bike a jolt of throttle. Also it was scratching up and digging into my leather grip wraps.

The Alas is well-built and well-finished, but I never could get it to stop slipping. That's partly due to the friction pads and partly due to the design of the Scout grips which are tough for it to grab onto. On a flat road at 70 mph, I'd engage it and almost immediately my speed would start gradually dropping off 1 mph at a time. It was really only usable for long enough to scratch my nose or give my wrist a little shake. If it didn't slip it would be a great little device.

I was interested in the Brake-Away but it looks complex and something else you have to keep in adjustment. After the previous 2 failures I gave up on this idea altogether.

Long story short, If I need to stop and rest my wrist, I do, and I've reconciled myself that I just need a bigger bike with actual cruise control on it for longer trips.

·
Silver member
5,519 Posts
What an abortion! :-(
No no no, THIS is an abortion. And it's fully adjustable for my preferred amount of drag on the throttle. Now proceed, throw stones :ROFLMAO:

Vehicle

Reactions: MattyBoy

·
Silver member
5,519 Posts
A splash of black paint on the hose clamp and it will disappear. If it works, it works.
Nah, no paint. It's a great conversation piece ;)

Reactions: Dr.Shifty

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm late to the discussion but I've tried both the Crampbuster and the Atlas, and neither was very satisfactory on my Scout.

Getting the Crampbuster adjusted correctly for cruising means it's pitched way up at idle, and I just didn't feel safe with it on there. Too easy to accidentally bump and give the bike a jolt of throttle. Also it was scratching up and digging into my leather grip wraps.

The Alas is well-built and well-finished, but I never could get it to stop slipping. That's partly due to the friction pads and partly due to the design of the Scout grips which are tough for it to grab onto. On a flat road at 70 mph, I'd engage it and almost immediately my speed would start gradually dropping off 1 mph at a time. It was really only usable for long enough to scratch my nose or give my wrist a little shake. If it didn't slip it would be a great little device.

I was interested in the Brake-Away but it looks complex and something else you have to keep in adjustment. After the previous 2 failures I gave up on this idea altogether.

Long story short, If I need to stop and rest my wrist, I do, and I've reconciled myself that I just need a bigger bike with actual cruise control on it for longer trips.
Helpful post. The Scout is a great bike for what it’s a supposed to be. And I love it. And if I were going to do things over again, yes, I might have bought bigger bike with real cruise control as you mention. And I probably will someday (my wife would have a fit if I tried to upgrade already). But I’ve learned from some the good posts that there’s no complete substitute for real cruise control. Heck, by the time my wrist would start cramping or going numb I probably need gas anyway.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts