Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,603 Posts
Have you used the different modes? I didn't like Standard myself so i switched mine to sport mode. I like it a lot better than standard. Not perfect but better.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Lean factory fuel setting to minimize emissions is most likely reason....and to keep emissions in check....and not load up your converter.
H-D would the same standards to meet and the two I had without cables were completely flawless. No hesitation and no surge. When I’m going down a long steep hill with the throttle closed and I start to open it back up slowly, it pops and sputters (internal backfire) until you open it further. It idles perfectly and as soon as you get just past the slightly open position it works perfectly fine through the increased opening positions. It seems as though the slight open position does not have the right mixture programmed into the ECM. I really think it would be easy to fix if anybody at Polaris/Indian gave a damn. Drivability problems are a real turn off for owners of any kind of a vehicle. I was a Ford dealership mechanic back in the mid seventies and went to more than one one day school to address those problems. Everything was carbureted back in those day, and points. (Ford did get electronic ignition in 75) Vehicles were a lot easier to work on back then.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Problem is combination of stock, lean fuel condition coupled with the need to adjust your clutch cable.....just right....for you new Chally owners.
I don’t see what the clutch cable adjustment has to do with a surge or hesitation. The problems I’m having are with the clutch fully engaged. I’ve been properly adjusting clutch cables since 1970.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've read a few posts here and there about this but didn't see a discussion thread, so here goes.

Is anyone else experiencing throttle lag on their Challenger? Seems like there is a lot of dead space before the rpm's pick up, like it's a guessing game every time I take off from a stop as to when the roll-on is going to begin. The big issue for me comes when downshifting, I can't blip the throttle at all.

When I had the Scout, I wouldn't rev-match every shift, but if I needed to shift quickly I would, and nearly all of the time going from 2 to 1 I like to blip it.

On the Challenger, going from 2nd down to 1st, I'll give the throttle a big twist, and nothing, no blip at all. Either nothing at all, or I'll sometimes get a delayed response where I've blipped it, but then the rpms will surge a bit later.

This is my first bagger so I'm sure there's some adjustment to be made in riding style, but this doesn't feel quite right.
I’ve had a couple dozen baggers (including a Victory) and the only one that would cough an hesitate was a carbureted 91 H-D Ultra. It was easy to fix though. All I had to do was drill out the low speed jet a couple micro drill bit sizes bigger. End of problem. This problem is ECM related, IMHO.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Can you explain what you mean by throttle lag? The only thing I've experienced is a "dead spot" where a turn seems to do nothing. That only happens if I happen to have my hand on the handlebars when I start the bike.
It seems to me that a dead spot is basically the same as throttle lag. What I have is a just off idle lag (dead spot). I pride myself after 51 years of motorcycle ownership and hundreds of thousands of miles, at being a smooth rider. With this lag, I feel that people watching me pull out of a parking lot think that I’m just learning to ride. With the price of these bikes, today’s technology and the fact that H-D doesn’t have this problem, I see no reason why Polaris/Indian hasn’t addressed this annoying issue.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have read that with most electronic control systems, there is redundancy built into a fly-by-wire systems. Instead of just one demand sensor for the handlebar throttle control, there are two. Same thing goes with the feedback sensor aligned to communicate with the throttle body (or bodies) in the Challengers case which are mechanically aligned or linked together to work in some set measure of unison. This is created to avoid or prevent possible loss of control should one sensor ever fail. The complex nature of this system with its variety of potentiometers, computers, sensors and management systems is what results sometimes in a noticeable delay when you first turn the throttle at the handlebar control, known as throttle lag or "the dead zone".

On the Challenger, the throttle bodies are mechanically linked and aligned to work in unison when a command is sent. The command starts from up at the handlebar throttle control (as it is turned/twisted and how fast or slow it is moved at the same time in measure) hand grip by the rider. When this physical action is made, the command is sent fly-by-wire to the ECU that initiates interpetation of the throttle positon regulated by a throttle position sensor and checked by the feedback sensor in communication as to where the throttle body action and position is to be upon the command. When throttle lag or a dead zone happens, this could be interpeted by the ECU system that an adjustment is necessary to complete or actuate for the command or lack of. This failsafe sequence could be in part the reason or the reaction as to why in more server cases of lag, the ECU electrical system shuts down (powers off) causing the engine to stop running, thus causing the bike to then "stall".
Regardless of how you explain the intricacies of the system, it doesn’t explain why H-Ds don’t have this drivability problem. I had an 08 (the first year for cableless throttle) and a 17 that I traded on this Challenger and they had zero glitches in the system. I put 66k on the first one and 29 k miles on the second one. They worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I took my back to the dealer. They did all the tests and the mechanic said there’s a lag spot., I filed a complaint with corporate and they didn’t do anything.. is there a fix for this?
I’m beginning to think that Polaris is not a customer service oriented company. They’re glad to take your money and then your on your own with searching the aftermarket. Sounds like a class action suit is in order. That would at least get their attention.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I don't know if the lag exists in all 3 modes for some of you or not, When I first took mine out of standard mode (which had noticeable throttle lag) and went to sport mode the lag seemed to go away. In my case I'm just going to stay in sport mode unless I need to for wet roads whatever. Lots of test videos had test riders complaining about throttle lag but I'm not sure which mode they were in at the time.
I’ve tried both and don’t see much difference in the lag. It could be a throttle body synchronization problem, but I feel that it’s a fuel to air ratio problem at a very low (off idle) position.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My rain mode works fine. Standard, less so. The sport mode is erratic.

Reactions: Hoseman

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,603 Posts
I'll admit the sport mode has a very quick throttle response and at low speeds it can act like a light switch. Very easy to give too much throttle with very little twist of the throttle grip. I'm getting better at this but it's still tricky to modulate sometimes.

·
Registered
398 Posts
You can't blame the EPA for the off-idle throttle twitchiness, every HD TBW bike I've ridden had a butter smooth throttle. While I do think its a bit worse on the Challenger its something I've experienced on every Polaris motorcycle I've owned (Victory XC, Springfield, Challenger, and Scout 60) to some extent or other except my wife's 2020 116" Chieftain DH. Her throttle is really nice off-idle. My Concours 1400 was the same way though, so its not just a Polaris thing. Ironically my Vulcan Vaquero (also Kawasaki) was very smooth as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You can't blame the EPA for the off-idle throttle twitchiness, every HD TBW bike I've ridden had a butter smooth throttle. While I do think its a bit worse on the Challenger its something I've experienced on every Polaris motorcycle I've owned (Victory XC, Springfield, Challenger, and Scout 60) to some extent or other except my wife's 2020 116" Chieftain DH. Her throttle is really nice off-idle. My Concours 1400 was the same way though, so its not just a Polaris thing. Ironically my Vulcan Vaquero (also Kawasaki) was very smooth as well.
I did not have the lag issue on the Victory Vision. But it was a cable throttle.

·
Registered
398 Posts
So was the Cross Country. I'm not so much talking about a general sense of lag, but jerkiness when you're trying to come off idle from either a stop or while doing low speed maneuvering in stop/go traffic or parking lots. I've just become very used to using the clutch to keep things smooth, although that is admittedly a bit more of a..... challenge..... (pun intended) with the new clutch setup and its narrow friction zone.

·
Bronze member
4,460 Posts
Owners of the 111/116 who have the PV3/PVCX have eliminated this with adjusting the DBW tables (drive by wire). This is not a fueling or ignition issue, it is simply the drive by wire tables that adjust the throttle butterfly based on how much the throttle is twisted. There is a ton of info on this on the forum on how to adjust it for those who have the PV3/PVCX. It can be adjusted butter smooth.

Polaris puts the lag in there on purpose so riders don't dump the bike by getting on the throttle to aggressively.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I posted this in another thread but I'll post it here.
Took my chally in for 5k service last monday and mentioned the lag / dead spot and the mech checked and downloaded a patch which pretty much eliminated the chugging around traffic circles, surge from takeoff, and the other low speed issues. Not sure what the patch was as it just said software update on the work order but it worked.

101 - 120 of 134 Posts