Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Throttle plate base orientation is always a good place to start with Vague Throttle response .... quite common ... has nothing to do with throttle plate sync ... but you should do it afterwards .... Kinda does it while you're doing the reconfiguration procedure after the sync ..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've read a few posts here and there about this but didn't see a discussion thread, so here goes.

Is anyone else experiencing throttle lag on their Challenger? Seems like there is a lot of dead space before the rpm's pick up, like it's a guessing game every time I take off from a stop as to when the roll-on is going to begin. The big issue for me comes when downshifting, I can't blip the throttle at all.

When I had the Scout, I wouldn't rev-match every shift, but if I needed to shift quickly I would, and nearly all of the time going from 2 to 1 I like to blip it.

On the Challenger, going from 2nd down to 1st, I'll give the throttle a big twist, and nothing, no blip at all. Either nothing at all, or I'll sometimes get a delayed response where I've blipped it, but then the rpms will surge a bit later.

This is my first bagger so I'm sure there's some adjustment to be made in riding style, but this doesn't feel quite right.
I took my back to the dealer. They did all the tests and the mechanic said there’s a lag spot., I filed a complaint with corporate and they didn’t do anything.. is there a fix for this?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,132 Posts
I don't know if the lag exists in all 3 modes for some of you or not, When I first took mine out of standard mode (which had noticeable throttle lag) and went to sport mode the lag seemed to go away. In my case I'm just going to stay in sport mode unless I need to for wet roads whatever. Lots of test videos had test riders complaining about throttle lag but I'm not sure which mode they were in at the time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't know if the lag exists in all 3 modes for some of you or not, When I first took mine out of standard mode (which had noticeable throttle lag) and went to sport mode the lag seemed to go away. In my case I'm just going to stay in sport mode unless I need to for wet roads whatever. Lots of test videos had test riders complaining about throttle lag but I'm not sure which mode they were in at the time.
I have ridden this Challenger for over a year and have never ridden in sport mode. My throttle lag went away when the 500 mile service was done and hasn't been an issue since, or at least I didn't notice it as much, and have gotten used to it. A few days ago I went out for a few hours and had to make couple stops along the way. After my first stop the throttle lag returned. I didn't notice it much on the highway, but when I got into town the lag was quite noticeable at every stop light. I wasn't sure what was causing it, but it went away after I made my second stop. No codes popped up indicating anything was wrong, and the bike ran normal, with the exception of having to twist the throttle a little more before something happened. I am going to put it in sport mode today and see if I notice any difference in the throttle response between standard and sport modes.
I have no desire to make this bike faster or louder, but if Lloyd's CVT tune can improve the rideability of the bike, I would have no problem sending in my ECU. I did that with my other bagger and it made the bike so much smoother/easier to ride, shifted better, and ran cooler.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,255 Posts
I've had that happened two or 3 times and every time shutting the bike off and turning it back on it was cleared. I noticed the times it did it was when I was in a hurry and I started the bike with my hand on the throttle. Seems I was giving it a little twist when I started it setting a new 0 point or something. I'd have to turn past that point to start getting throttle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've read a few posts here and there about this but didn't see a discussion thread, so here goes.

Is anyone else experiencing throttle lag on their Challenger? Seems like there is a lot of dead space before the rpm's pick up, like it's a guessing game every time I take off from a stop as to when the roll-on is going to begin. The big issue for me comes when downshifting, I can't blip the throttle at all.

When I had the Scout, I wouldn't rev-match every shift, but if I needed to shift quickly I would, and nearly all of the time going from 2 to 1 I like to blip it.

On the Challenger, going from 2nd down to 1st, I'll give the throttle a big twist, and nothing, no blip at all. Either nothing at all, or I'll sometimes get a delayed response where I've blipped it, but then the rpms will surge a bit later.

This is my first bagger so I'm sure there's some adjustment to be made in riding style, but this doesn't feel quite right.
I had a wickedly crisp throttle on my new scout anniversary model , they put the Indian 2-1 header on it and the crispness disappeared ( and even worsened , of course they tuned it after the installation but are baffled why the crisp throttle left. I’m putting it in on the 30th in an “( ask Polaris)” case , hopefully they can remap the icu

·
Bronze member
1,516 Posts
Is it free?
No, it's definitely not free....not the aftermarket/Lloydz tune. But if you want to have your dealer "reflash" your bike with the Stage I (or stock) tune under warranty, then, yes, that is FREE! Mechanical and/or speed performance for motorcycles is far from FREE. I've learned that over 30 years and about 9 bikes!!!!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
The Lloyd's tune has fixed the idle hunting issue for me. The bike doesn't run any cooler in free air, but it keeps it's cool much more easily at a stop. I can idle for a whole minute and only see temperature increases of 2-4 degrees, whereas before, I'd go from 180 to 205 in 30 seconds or less. So, that's got to be better for the machine.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts