Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had an issue with my FTR’s throttle. On deceleration usually coming in to a corner it will engine brake as it should and then a small burst of throttle happens. Like I blipped the throttle. At first I thought I might have done it accidentally. First time it scared me because a car was right in front of me as I turned in to a parking lot. Then I started paying attention. It’s done it 4-5 times and its not me doing it. Quite often after deceleration it will momentarily blip the throttle on it’s own. Anyone else seeing this?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Have the same thing....dealer thinks it is just me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’ve had an issue with my FTR’s throttle. On deceleration usually coming in to a corner it will engine brake as it should and then a small burst of throttle happens. Like I blipped the throttle. At first I thought I might have done it accidentally. First time it scared me because a car was right in front of me as I turned in to a parking lot. Then I started paying attention. It’s done it 4-5 times and its not me doing it. Quite often after deceleration it will momentarily blip the throttle on it’s own. Anyone else seeing this?
This happened to me as well. Only once though and it happened while downshifting/slowing down through a long curve (exit ramp).

·
Bronze member
2,561 Posts
The chief's have been doing this forever. Scares the crap out of me sometimes. Search the forum, there are threads about it. When I come to a stop, I have to pull in my clutch to eliminate the surge which is not a good procedure in turns.

·
Silver member
4,597 Posts
It compensating the fuel so you don't stall the engine. Try downshifting to 1st gear when you come into the corner. The TS111s do the same thing.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The chief's have been doing this forever. Scares the crap out of me sometimes. Search the forum, there are threads about it. When I come to a stop, I have to pull in my clutch to eliminate which is not a good procedure in turns.
Interesting... This is the first I have experienced this (4 previous Indians), and it does not do it all the time on my FTR but catches me a by surprise when it does.

·
Registered
466 Posts
It compensating the fuel so you don't stall the engine. Try downshifting to 1st gear when you come into the corner. The TS111s do the same thing.
Not sure about compensating for stalling, when I have experienced this on my FTR, I was down shifting and using the rear brake getting slowed down to take a corner. I use engine braking on all my bikes even just easing up to a stop light and never experienced it on my RMs nor Scouts but I will look for it from now on....

·
Bronze member
1,477 Posts
During deceleration there is no fuel going in the engine, the injectors are off. At whatever rpm is programmed into the ECU power is restored to the injectors and wala we have engine power.

On the TS111's thru the DynoJet Power vision this can be cancelled out, so that may be doable on the FTR.

It is not a very pleasant aspect of these skoots, the Kawi 1700's also have dead injectors on decel but when thay come on line there s no surge as with the Indians.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
466 Posts
During deceleration there is no fuel going in the engine, the injectors are off. At whatever rpm is programmed into the ECU power is restored to the injectors and wala we have engine power.

On the TS111's thru the DynoJet Power vision this can be cancelled out, so that may be doable on the FTR.

It is not a very pleasant aspect of these skoots, the Kawi 1700's also have dead injectors on decel but when thay come on line there s no surge as with the Indians.

RACNRAY
Ray, I have seen this on my RMs but it was at very low rpm and lugging the motor. If this is the same injector turn on for the FTR, it is at a much higher rpm.

·
Diamond member
9,052 Posts
Hmmmm the Scouts had this in the beginning. It was the reason for the very first "warranty" reflash on the scout model.
It was annoying as hell On them, I imagine it being just as annoying on the FTR

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is something I certainly wish Indian would fix. Mine does it fairly regularly and twice now at VERY inconvenient times. Coming into parking lots in first gear. Add the low gear, the engine’s gobs of torque and the unexpected throttle burp and it gets rather exciting. The bike does a quick leap forward at a rather inappropriate time. An inexperienced rider could have serious issues.

·
Bronze member
3,274 Posts
Yep its called "Fuel Cut" all modern injected engines have it, during deceleration above a certain RPM the fuel injectors are shut off (basically your engine is no longer running) then around 1200 RPM the injectors kick on and your engine "Starts back up" and the surge is there. Obviously Polaris/Bosch are unable to tune it so it is transparent like on other machines out there.

Maybe one day Dynojet can discover the programming mode for this and allow us to disable it.

·
Bronze member
1,477 Posts
Yep its called "Fuel Cut" all modern injected engines have it, during deceleration above a certain RPM the fuel injectors are shut off (basically your engine is no longer running) then around 1200 RPM the injectors kick on and your engine "Starts back up" and the surge is there. Obviously Polaris/Bosch are unable to tune it so it is transparent like on other machines out there.

Maybe one day Dynojet can discover the programming mode for this and allow us to disable it.
It can be disabled with a PVCX/PV3. I had it disabled some time ago but with a new cam swap and a new tune which does not have the alterations yet, one thing I gotta werk on.

RACNRAY

·
Diamond member
9,052 Posts
Deja-vu.
This is exactly what the first run scouts suffered from. Mine included.
As I said earlier, it was rectified by Polaris and was one of the first service bulletins we got as first run Scouters. It was a quick reflash, and done. Never seen again..
Deja-vu.
This is exactly what the first run scouts suffered from. Mine included.
As I said earlier, it was rectified by Polaris and was one of the first service bulletins we got as first run Scouters. It was a quick reflash, and done. Never seen again..

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Had a really good throttle burp today coming into a side street, 3rd gear, dropped into 2nd as I turned and it burped as I let out the clutch. Very disconcerting . I don’t like the bike trying to jump into a parked car on its own. An inexperienced rider could have serious trouble with this feature.
Anyone know how to make sure Indian is aware and might possibly fix this problem?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had a really good throttle burp today coming into a side street, 3rd gear, dropped into 2nd as I turned and it burped as I let out the clutch. Very disconcerting . I don’t like the bike trying to jump into a parked car on its own. An inexperienced rider could have serious trouble with this feature.
Anyone know how to make sure Indian is aware and might possibly fix this problem?
I brought it to my dealers attention when I took it in for 500 mile service. They didn’t have a fix. There will prob be ecu flash in future.

·
Rider
798 Posts
I can't wait to get on an FTR to see what you guys are feeling. I know 8 people who have ridden them and no one has expressed anything like this.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts