Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know this? I ordered some Joker Machine shifter and rear brake pegs that said "universal fit", but when I got them, they were labeled Harley, "universal fit". I would just take the stock ones off and measure them, but you remove those things, you pretty much destroy them, so that's a last resort. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Anyone know this? I ordered some Joker Machine shifter and rear brake pegs that said "universal fit", but when I got them, they were labeled Harley, "universal fit". I would just take the stock ones off and measure them, but you remove those things, you pretty much destroy them, so that's a last resort. Thanks!
On the stock ones I would use a hair dryer to warm up the rubber enough to pull off, then use something (visegrips) on the rod underneath to remove the shifter peg. Bring it to the hardware/tools department at The Home Depot and match up the thread. It's probably metric.

On the flipside, maybe @Marcus would know, he makes non-marking shifter peg replacements. (Which are on my list of to-dos)

·
Registered
200 Posts
On the stock ones I would use a hair dryer to warm up the rubber enough to pull off, then use something (visegrips) on the rod underneath to remove the shifter peg. Bring it to the hardware/tools department at The Home Depot and match up the thread. It's probably metric.

On the flipside, maybe @Marcus would know, he makes non-marking shifter peg replacements. (Which are on my list of to-dos)
EXCELLENT advice.

When I swapped mine out I wrapped a thick leather glove around the peg and gave a quick spin to loosen it. It didn't mar the rubber. I may have been lucky.

The other option is to look at the spec/install sheet for the Scout (
Billet Shifter/Brake Pegs - Chrome
Item # 2882005-156). IIRC the instruction sheet lists the parts included and should list the bolts included.

I'm at work now and can't check my sheet. I'll try to remember to look tonight.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Easy to remove if you spray rubber with a little wd-40 then slide a small flat blade screwdriver under the rubber spray some more wd-40 under rubber and it slides right off
You will then see 2 flats on the peg which is for spanner that you can then easily remove
The thread pitch it m8 x 1.25
To remove gear pedal peg and brake pedal peg should take less than 5mins

·
Registered
330 Posts
the harley shift and brake pegs are the same same as the ones labeled for the indian. i used the harley ones on my bobber when i found them for 10$ cheaper then the indian ones.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Easy to remove if you spray rubber with a little wd-40 then slide a small flat blade screwdriver under the rubber spray some more wd-40 under rubber and it slides right off
You will then see 2 flats on the peg which is for spanner that you can then easily remove
The thread pitch it m8 x 1.25
To remove gear pedal peg and brake pedal peg should take less than 5mins
WD40 is good idea; my concern is the rubber absorbing some of it causing it to become prematurely soft. I've had that happen although it was years ago.

Reactions: Tabernash

·
Registered
200 Posts
WD40 is good idea; my concern is the rubber absorbing some of it causing it to become prematurely soft. I've had that happen although it was years ago.
Old man experience says you are right about the absorbing.

Little heat, couple of sips of beer and patience are probably the best route.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Search for these on Aliexpress Ebay etc I put a set of black ones on with a set of Black Indian ones they match up nicely

Motorcycle Shift Peg/ Brake Peg for Indian Scout Chief Chieftain Roadmaster Victory Boardwalk Hard-Ball Kingpin Octane Cross

·
Registered
138 Posts
For the amount required it does no harm but can also use silicone spray
It's just enough to help the rubber slide off without damage

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
For the amount required it does no harm but can also use silicone spray
It's just enough to help the rubber slide off without damage
I'm not here to argue; just stated my experience with using oil (of any kind) with petroleum-based solid products such as rubber, applied in a location that does not allow dissipation. I use a dishsoap-n-water thin paste and hair dryer instead of oil in this type of application.

Reactions: Tabernash

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well folks, here's how it went:
Brake and shifter pegs were 5/16-24 thread
Shifter peg came off like butter, install was just a matter replacing the 5/16-24 bolt with a M8x1.25(you guys were right). The brake side is a different animal though. The 5/16-24 stud has to be removed and I'll drill and tap it for a M8x1.25 Helicoil or a Time-sert, shouldn't be a big deal. Thanks for all the help! Peg 1.jpg Peg 2.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts