Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to do my annual oil change on my 2015 Roadmaster. Going to continue using Amsoil V-Twin oil. I have been using 20W-40 but would like to get your thoughts on the 15W-60 oil use in the RM. What does Indian say about using it? Would seem the thicker oil would be great in the summer heat.

·
Rider
678 Posts
Synthetic 15W-60 is the recommended oil for the Scout which according to Indian is also approved for use in their 111 TS engines. I have been using their 20W-40 oil kits for the past two years while under warranty. However, my warranty just expired and I plan to start using Synthetic 20W-50 or similar from this point out. I live in Texas, and with the heat and the fact that these are air cooled bikes, I think a heavier weighted oil would be beneficial.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I live in the hottest spot in the lower 48 where people actually live. I use the scout oil in my 111. It has no oil cooler. Runs superb.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I can tell you that after 5000 plus hard miles, my oil comes out looking pretty fresh - the scout oil, in my opinion, also helps the engine run quieter.

·
Rider
1,568 Posts
A fellow member posted the article from Indian saying the 15 W 60 is acceptable and can be used in the 111. About mid April of this year I hit my 5,000 mile service and oil change. My mechanic advised me of this change and said he been using it in his wife bike. What noise I have left in the motor after the stage 2 cams and Craig B tune... changing to this oil got rid of the last bit of noise I heard. Bike runs smooth I’ve got about 200 miles on this oil and I’m gonna stock with it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I've got 3 Gallons of Shell Rotella 15w-60 sitting on my workbench waiting to change both the Chieftain Dark Horse and the Wife's Bobber now that they all take the same oil. I'm just waiting on the crush washers to be delievered.. I forgot about those damn things.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Found it at Wal-Mart, of all places. It was also on sale. I also made a typo - I got 15w-40. Sorry about that. One of the other multiple oil threads said that was "ok to use" as well. I hope they are right... lol

Never knew they made that.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I run fairly hard and I’ve run 20w60 for years with excellent results in my Harleys. At the first 500 change I also put it in my chieftain. But the majority of my miles are 2 up loaded down. JMO but for these air-cooled pushrod motors I think the 20w40 is to lite an oil. But larry s on here is probably pushing 325,000 at a minimum and that’s all he runs is the 60. Never been inside the motor. That’s about the best answer I can think of right there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts