Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Rider
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Each winter or spring I peel off the round paint protectors from the rear fenders on my Vintage because they have those ugly circles on them and replace them, but I feel like I’m treating the symptom and not the cause. WTF? Is there a better way? What causes the discoloration in the first place?

·
Vendor / bronze
2,725 Posts
The clear vinyl discs filters the light and protects the surface from dirt etc. So the paint is fading and aging differently from the rest of the fender.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Each winter or spring I peel off the round paint protectors from the rear fenders on my Vintage because they have those ugly circles on them and replace them, but I feel like I’m treating the symptom and not the cause. WTF? Is there a better way? What causes the discoloration in the first place?
The discoloration is caused by the rubber bumpers on the back side of the bags rubbing on the protectors. Leave the protectors off and the bumpers will rub the circles through your paint. ;)

·
Silver member
4,419 Posts
Some guys swear by refridge magnets that you stick on when you have the bags on...

·
Bronze member
1,148 Posts
What I've also used is adhesive felt pads that I place on those rubber bumpers on the saddle bags. I still have the clear vinyl disks on the fenders which I replaced as soon as I bought the bike as they were discolored. With these felt pads, there's no brown marking after each season. Here's an example with a link to Lowes;

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Waxman-24-Pack-1-1-2-in-Brown-Round-Felt-Pad/1000318431

·
Rider
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The discoloration is caused by the rubber bumpers on the back side of the bags rubbing on the protectors. Leave the protectors off and the bumpers will rub the circles through your paint. ;)
That’s what I thought originally, until I put the same film on the rubber protectors and even with film-on-film contact, there was still discoloration.

·
Rider
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I've also used is adhesive felt pads that I place on those rubber bumpers on the saddle bags. I still have the clear vinyl disks on the fenders which I replaced as soon as I bought the bike as they were discolored. With these felt pads, there's no brown marking after each season. Here's an example with a link to Lowes;

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Waxman-24-Pack-1-1-2-in-Brown-Round-Felt-Pad/1000318431
I like the way you think. I just put new paint protection film on the skirts and before I ride with bags again I’ll put felt pads on the bags.

·
Registered
159 Posts

Can you post a photo of your fender? Would like to see what you did.
I’m gonna give the magnet deal a shot.[/QUOTE

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
That’s what I thought originally, until I put the same film on the rubber protectors and even with film-on-film contact, there was still discoloration.
It is caused by dirt being rubbed into the protectors by the pressure from the bumpers. Dust and dirt kicked up from the road is enough to do it. That is why they are there, and the discoloration means that they are doing their job. You're doing the right thing by replacing them regularly if it bothers you. The majority of folks never run without the bags on so it really doesn't matter to them. The paint is being protected though, if the protective film wasn't there the dirt would embed into the paint and eventually wear completely through to bare metal.

·
Bronze member
1,148 Posts
Can you post a photo of your fender? Would like to see what you did.
I’m gonna give the magnet deal a shot.[/QUOTE
Here's a few photos as you requested. I just went out in the garage for ya. :)

Here's the new clear disk
IMG_1737.JPG

Next, a few shots of the felt disks on the bumpers of the saddle bags
IMG_1739.JPG

IMG_1741.JPG

·
Silver member
3,109 Posts
Here's a few photos as you requested. I just went out in the garage for ya. :)

Here's the new clear disk
View attachment 488206

Next, a few shots of the felt disks on the bumpers of the saddle bags
View attachment 488208
View attachment 488210
Max - I did the exact same thing to my Vintage a few weeks ago. Only additional I did was (yer gonna laugh) rub some carnuba wax onto the felt disks that I stuck to the rubber bumpers. I did that to reduce any friction betwixt the felt and new 3M fender material while the bike is on the move.

·
Bronze member
1,148 Posts
Max - I did the exact same thing to my Vintage a few weeks ago. Only additional I did was (yer gonna laugh) rub some carnuba wax onto the felt disks that I stuck to the rubber bumpers. I did that to reduce any friction betwixt the felt and new 3M fender material while the bike is on the move.
That's a good idea, Willy! :)

·
Rider
931 Posts
Do those round protectors peel right off, or is there a trick to removing them. Where can we find replacements or do most fabricate them? Those brown spots are ugly and they discourage me whenever I think of removing the bags.
Thanks

·
Silver member
3,109 Posts
Do those round protectors peel right off, or is there a trick to removing them. Where can we find replacements or do most fabricate them? Those brown spots are ugly and they discourage me whenever I think of removing the bags.
Thanks
The OEM dots are stuck on pretty good, very good actually lol.. I used a hair dryer to soften up the adhesive some, then peeled them off when they were warm-hot. Then I used acetone to clean off adhesive that was left behind. After cleaning the sticky stuff off, you'd never know the dots were ever there to begin with.

Here's a link to the 3M product I used. I think it's the same material used as a protective wrap for autos, motorcycles, or whatever.

https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Paint-Protection-Bulk-25-inches/dp/B00B3IXSMA/ref=pd_day0_hl_263_1/140-4420389-5253320?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00B3IXSMA&pd_rd_r=648cdd85-7328-11e9-a501-d7a14f92e534&pd_rd_w=GzVk1&pd_rd_wg=oxmOX&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=CSK3ZAZ4NBW1QT6D08Q1&psc=1&refRID=CSK3ZAZ4NBW1QT6D08Q1

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
Yeah, you never want too much friction when its rubbed like that. Maybe some baby oil wil reduce the friction and not stain the material.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,725 Posts
Anything you do will leave some kind of tell tale sign. I would use the vinyl disc and just know they are protecting the fender. At least you are controlling the location. In other words knowing the disc serve a purpose makes you happy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts