Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Rider
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t own a garage, so have to store my Scout in one of those steel and canvas folding Bike Shields out on my front lawn. When I put my bike away for the long Maine winter, it was cleaned and waxed, the exhaust was sealed, Sta-Bil went into the tank, and the battery tender was attached. I’ve NEVER had a garage, but had used this type of outdoor storage method for years to good effect.

We finally had sufficient thawing for the snow to melt and I was able to chip the remaining ice away to finally see my baby after 5 long months away. The bike started right up. As it sat idling I inspected it from stem to stern to see how it had faired.

All looked in order except for a roughly 8” square of paint between the seat and the gas cap. There were crazy arabesque scratches all over that area. I know for a fact that they were not there when the bike was put away, so can only assume that some industrious rodent slipped inside the enclosure over the winter, climbed up on the seat and then tried to summit the gas tank but kept slipping and sliding and scratching for purchase on the finely waxed surface. I can think of no other reason than that for the type and location of these scratches.

I should probably count myself lucky Chip N’ Dale didn’t decide to dine on my seat or battery harness as I’ve heard has happened to others. Still, after all the Meow Mix I left out for the feline strays this winter, you’d think the ingrates would have had my back. :(

Oh, well...

·
Bronze member
2,563 Posts
If the scratches will not buff out, it couldn’t cost too much to get the tank painted. A buddy had a pickup truck destroyed when rats ate thru all the wiring. Destructive little shits...

·
Bronze member
2,985 Posts
When you put/store your bike,or whatever, away for any period of time in a shed,tent,garage,shelter,I have discovered if you throw a couple pieces of rodent food like "TOM CAT" [which works very well,indeed] on and or around whatever it is that you're storing,those critters will eat it. [instead of chewing on your wires, seats,etc.in order to build a home,lol ]. So it's bon voyage to them and your property will be protected from these critters.

·
Registered
291 Posts
My Bike is garage kept, but every year when the weather starts to get cold (Wisconsin), I put out at least 4 D-Con bait blocks, and every year at least two of them are eating up completely. Also put dryer sheets in and on the bike. Irish Spring original soap also works, (just cut it up into small pieces and put it in a dish). Been doing it that way for 13 years now. Never had any rodent related damage in those 13 years. Do the same in my travel trailer with equal success.

·
Bronze member
2,985 Posts
I recently learned about this "TOM CAT" stuff when a friend of mine,[who was in the hospital with cancer] and owned a Can AM which was parked in his shed,but needed to be moved so his wife could dig out their snow blower.She had contacted me to help her,but since the battery was in a state of discharge,I needed to hook up his battery tender so I could start it.But when I lifted the seat to hook up the battery tender,an army of field mice came runnin out at me,not to mention,they had also chewed on some of the wiring under the seat.Duh!! So here we go.Then another friend of mine mentioned this Tom Cat stuff,which we bought and threw all around the battery and wiring,as well as the floor of the shed,and it worked.The next day,after the battery had been charged,and I went back to start and move it,there was atleast couple dozen dead field mice layin all around his bike and the floor of his shed.And the really good news was,the wires were NOT chewed all the way thru so I was able to tape em up and everything was good.

·
Rider
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lots of great tips here - thanks! As mentioned, been doing this for years and never saw so much of a mouse turd before.

I’ll certainly be better prepared for my next Winter put-away👍

·
Rider
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the scratches will not buff out, it couldn’t cost too much to get the tank painted. A buddy had a pickup truck destroyed when rats ate thru all the wiring. Destructive little shits...
Thanks! I’m going to pick some up and give it a try. Most of the scratches are all the way through the clearcoat so may end up having to get it reshot in the end.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
When I stored my Honda Shadow in my garage in TN, I went to start it up after a couple of months. I heard what sounded like birdshot hitting the garage door. I turned to look and saw bird seed all over the floor. After investigating, I discovered that field mice had gotten into my wife's bags of seed for the bird feeder and had been storing it in my pipes.

·
Rider
503 Posts
Just be careful when using Tom cat, decon, or other poisons that the carcasses aren't able to be eaten by hawks, owls, or other birds of prey.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yup dryer sheets, lots of ‘em. I’ve always had success using them. No signs of rodents and you bike will smell fresh as a daisy come spring time. I’ve used moth balls too. Small money to prevent big problems.

·
Rider
974 Posts
I don’t own a garage, so have to store my Scout in one of those steel and canvas folding Bike Shields out on my front lawn. When I put my bike away for the long Maine winter, it was cleaned and waxed, the exhaust was sealed, Sta-Bil went into the tank, and the battery tender was attached. I’ve NEVER had a garage, but had used this type of outdoor storage method for years to good effect.

We finally had sufficient thawing for the snow to melt and I was able to chip the remaining ice away to finally see my baby after 5 long months away. The bike started right up. As it sat idling I inspected it from stem to stern to see how it had faired.

All looked in order except for a roughly 8” square of paint between the seat and the gas cap. There were crazy arabesque scratches all over that area. I know for a fact that they were not there when the bike was put away, so can only assume that some industrious rodent slipped inside the enclosure over the winter, climbed up on the seat and then tried to summit the gas tank but kept slipping and sliding and scratching for purchase on the finely waxed surface. I can think of no other reason than that for the type and location of these scratches.

I should probably count myself lucky Chip N’ Dale didn’t decide to dine on my seat or battery harness as I’ve heard has happened to others. Still, after all the Meow Mix I left out for the feline strays this winter, you’d think the ingrates would have had my back. :(

Oh, well...
The Cats were I'm sure very grateful for the food, so were your mice, they will eat cat food as well...that could very well be what drew them. =/

Reactions: Racepres
1 - 13 of 13 Posts