Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I just bought a used 2015 Indian Scout. I'm starting to take stock of the things I'll need or want to do to the bike and to my collection of parts and gear, and I've come to a realization: THIS STUFF IS EXPENSIVE.

I"d prefer to skip the "you get what you pay for" and "that's what you pay for quality" and "if you can't pay you're in the wrong hobby"-type discussions. Let's talk realism and pragmatism.

Indian parts are incredible. A set of Indian Scout Passenger Footpegs is $170.

$170 for a glorified bolt.

Slip-on exhausts do very little aside from change the sound (negligible horsepower gains) and cost $400 on a good day!

There are plenty of forum posters out there with 6-7 different jackets and helmets, buying a selling $700 Zambini emblems, etc., etc., but where are my fellow penny-pinchers? Aside from shopping the for-sale forum and garage sales, how does the layman afford such an expensive hobby? I'd like to start this forum as compendium of cost-saving measures. Any tips/tricks/advice?

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
First money saving tricks.... Drill out your stock exhaust.
Don't carry a passenger, Scouts are better off solo so you don't need the passenger pegs. ;):)
DO cruise the for "Parts for Sale" on this forum, lots of parts floating around...

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,737 Posts
Anything branded Indian will cost. You may find something similar that will do the same thing for much less. But watch out there too. Some companies realized Indian charges much more so up'ed their cost too on "will work" parts.

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
No tips, no tricks. Sorry.

·
Registered
974 Posts
In my opinion the stratospheric accessory pricing is holding Indian back a bit. Combined that with the lack of aftermarket parts and you have issues.

I have several friends that have bikes outfitted with tour packs, sissy bars, luggage racks, etc. They switch up their setups depending on the ride. They do not switch to Indian as they would have to spend $3000-$4000 just to buy the same accessories on the Indian side.

What's even worse is there are some accessories that don't even exist on the Indian side... It is not just pay to play... Some stuff just doesn't exist.

·
Founding member
1,095 Posts
Check Aeromach and Thunder Mfg web sites. Also West End Motorsports. I can't say what they have for a Scout but I have spent a bunch for parts for my Chieftain.Somtimes E Bay will have some deals also.

·
Senior member / gold
6,941 Posts
Keep a steady eye on Craigslist and Ebay. There are some good bargains on both if you scour the ads. Paid under $300 on Ebay for slightly used sissy bar and pad. $300 on C/L for a factory quick release windshield. $100 on Ebay for the factory luggage rack that utilizes the sissy bar. I have altered quite a few accessories for other bikes to fit my Dark Horse. The bargains can be had if you are vigilant.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Motorcycles are like women. You put cheap stuff on them and they look cheap. The more you spend the better they look. Have you priced a boob job lately?
My motorcycle shops at Target.

Thanks for the help so far, folks! I can't be the only one struggling!

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
When I bought my Chieftain, I got rear engine guards, backrest, pad and rack. Nothing has changed since. I thought about going a different route with some parts, but they just didn't fit the styling. I'm satisfied with it stock. Now maybe I can afford some new tires.o_O

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,737 Posts
When I bought my Chieftain, I got rear engine guards, backrest, pad and rack. Nothing has changed since. I thought about going a different route with some parts, but they just didn't fit the styling. I'm satisfied with it stock. Now maybe I can afford some new tires.o_O
Guess I'm dense. What are rear engine guards or is there another name for them? It just isn't clicking in my pea brain.

·
Registered
380 Posts
No other way to do this but save your cash! Prioritize what you want and shop for those items on the forum, craigslist, and ebay. I have purchased several items this way and have stretched the cash. I also have a gig every other Saturday morning to help fund my addiction. This also allows me to take those 3-4 day and weekend trips here and there. Good luck and safe riding!

·
Silver member
3,350 Posts
Ever since I bought my Scout 60, Indian has periodically sent coupons for accessory discounts. I haven't used them since any add ons I have done or plan to do so far have been after market parts. But if you plan Indian accessories, every little bit helps I would think.

If I recall in Harley world, there were a couple of dealers who sold Harley accessories below retail price on line. Have any Indian dealers stepped up yet to offer significantly discounted Indian parts/accessories?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts