Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
After having one of those Jiffy Lube services strip the nut on the oil filter housing of my F250 Diesel, I will never let anybody touch my vehicles for basic service again. I had to replace the whole housing, and man was that a pia!
Oil change places do not hire people with technical acumen. They hire warm bodies. I know this because my 50-something neighbor who can't change the belts on his riding mower worked at one. Additionally, I work in the insurance business and we get a regular stream of claims from those chain 'under car professionals' places like Jiffy. The absurd thing is, if you are getting work done other than a simple oil change, you are paying almost as much here locally as what a dealer charges. People think they are saving money going there but they are not. Same labor rates, cheapest parts they can find and hacks who couldn't get hired anywhere else.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yes! Same experience at the HD dealer. Made appt for an oil change, still took 4 hours. When I got the bike back it was covered with oily hand prints and everything was so tight I had a dickens of a time getting them off again. I bet they used some kinda power tool to install. So I walked around the back and there were a bunch of kids working back there. I bet they only have 1 real tech to "supervise". Good news is it led me trade my Road King in on a Vintage. But I do my own servicing. Don't kid yourselves, these dealers are making a fortune just look at the cars they drive.

·
Registered
Roadmaster Darkhorse
146 Posts
All of the things mentioned here also apply and maybe more so to the 18 wheeler truck service business. I have given up on finding any shop big or small to properly service or make minor repairs to my trucks. I am finding myself jumping into a pair of old coveralls and doing it myself. Buying oil in bulk, filters by the case, parts that will be needed ahead of time to avoid being told "not available at this time". Close to the last darned thing I thought I'd ever be doing at this point in life.

Oh... Yes I also do all of my own service and repair work to my motorcycles, Jeeps, pickups, etc for the same reasons.

·
Registered
677 Posts
All of the things mentioned here also apply and maybe more so to the 18 wheeler truck service business. I have given up on finding any shop big or small to properly service or make minor repairs to my trucks. I am finding myself jumping into a pair of old coveralls and doing it myself. Buying oil in bulk, filters by the case, parts that will be needed ahead of time to avoid being told "not available at this time". Close to the last darned thing I thought I'd ever be doing at this point in life.

Oh... Yes I also do all of my own service and repair work to my motorcycles, Jeeps, pickups, etc for the same reasons.
Its definitely not limited to just bikes. I went back to a shop I’ve trusted in the past for work on my diesel truck cause their mechanic is great and they wanted to charge me $10K to change the fuel injectors. They were marking up part prices by over 60% and averaging over $200 per hour for labor based on the book hours which obviously they can do in less time. I told them to go to hell and doing it myself for $2.5K in parts and 16 hours of my time….well worth it imho.

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
1,347 Posts
After having one of those Jiffy Lube services strip the nut on the oil filter housing of my F250 Diesel, I will never let anybody touch my vehicles for basic service again. I had to replace the whole housing, and man was that a pia!
I brought my '63 C-10 into one of those places. I told them I would pull it in. I was told that because of "insurance" reasons. I looked around at the assembled "mechanics" and as the last 3 "on the tree" was on a GMC pickup in 1984, and none of them looked like they even born then, I decided to go do what I always did anyway, change it myself.

Car Vehicle Automotive parking light Grille Hood

·
Registered
Roadmaster Darkhorse
146 Posts
I brought my '63 C-10 into one of those places. I told them I would pull it in. I was told that because of "insurance" reasons. I looked around at the assembled "mechanics" and as the last 3 "on the tree" was on a GMC pickup in 1984, and none of them looked like they even born then, I decided to go do what I always did anyway, change it myself.

View attachment 706584
It would have been entertaining to see if those "kids" could figure it out!

Sometime back I brought my Jeep to one of those grease monkey places and was told the same thing about my driving it in. I stepped out of it leaving the both the manual transmission and the twin stick Atlas transfer case in neutral. the kid that attempted to bring it in kept rolling backward every time he tried to come off the clutch. Eventually he reset the park brake, came and told me something was wrong with my Jeep. I just shook my head, took it home and did the simple oil change myself. I would have had to go in behind them anyway just to make sure all of the grease fitting got a dose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
3 weeks ago Black Hills Harley didn’t tighten a drain plug (or oil fill cap) and roasted my transmission. There’s worse things. When I got it back the gear indicator didn’t work. I drove right to the Indian dealer in Sturgis and traded it in. Best decision I ever made. If you think the grass is greener on the other side…it definitely is not!

·
Bronze member
3,939 Posts
Welcome to the real world where NO ONE is qualified to do anything anymore.It's hard to find a good tech or tradesman today cause to many of these shops don't wanna pay em a decent or even a fair wage,yet still charge the customer an unholy hourly fee.If I've seen it once,I've seen it a hundred times,and I suspect that many of you guys have too.Well,this also applies to the automotive/motorcycle industry as well.

·
Silver member
3,964 Posts
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Workwear Automotive design Stretcher

There are still people out there who do good work. I have two places locally that I can trust to get it right. One independent shop that built my Rocket and my Indian dealer. The bottom picture is Rob and he is a real mechanic at Indian of Knoxville. I am one of those that does not do my own wrenching due to experience and time so I find quality people to work for me.

·
Rider
March 2022 ROTM Winner
2,397 Posts
......There are still people out there who do good work. I have two places locally that I can trust to get it right. One independent shop that built my Rocket and my Indian dealer. The bottom picture is Rob and he is a real mechanic at Indian of Knoxville. I am one of those that does not do my own wrenching due to experience and time so I find quality people to work for me.
A positive workshop experience. Thanks for sharing and I would like to add to this!

This was the exact point of my previous two posts. I am fortunate to live only a couple of miles from Moore Speed Racing. They have what I consider to be some very capable 'craftsmen' in their workshop and their own dyno and milling shop in-house. Whilst speaking to Colin Moore his statement was after praising and thanking them for their services "We don't always manage to get it right, but we try our best!" A customer could ask for no more!

I do have the technical acumen and most tools required to spanner on my own bike and often do. Nevertheless, time often evades me. With a modest hourly rate of $79 USD at today's exchange rate and the fact they are trustworthy, convenient and very good at what they do, the bike gets dropped off there for its servicing needs. They even drop it off back home if requested free of charge.

·
Registered
2021 Indian Roadmaster Icon
579 Posts
In all of this conversation, I'm afraid its a sign of the times. In times past, granted I wasn't around then, not everyone went to college and in fact only a select few. Today people expect everyone to go to college and if you don't you're shamed and looked down on. Also happening at the same time, was a shift in employment traditions where people used to get a good job and stay there with it until retirement. Today, me included, we job hop and always find something better around the corner. I did just this in my early career days (Industrial instrumentation, electrical, & maintenance work), although a couple were due to company closing or selling and me being laid off, most were just moves that benefited me. My point being, if people were encouraged to stay somewhere, were taken care of, and new guys came in and really apprenticed under the old guys, we would be in a great place today. But unfortunately this is where we are today and I see no way to reverse it. We can't afford to pay service departments what it would take to pay the techs good enough, not to mention the price of parts now days. That is an entirely different subject...

If I had the time, I would love to take courses and become a certified Indian and Can-am tech just for my own personal servicing purposes. This would let me acquire digital wrench and other special tools, and also help out fellow riders. But as it is, all this 'adulting' stuff keeps getting in the way and I don't have the time...

·
Registered
2021 Springfield Dark Horse
572 Posts
A positive workshop experience. Thanks for sharing and I would like to add to this!

This was the exact point of my previous two posts. I am fortunate to live only a couple of miles from Moore Speed Racing. They have what I consider to be some very capable 'craftsmen' in their workshop and their own dyno and milling shop in-house. Whilst speaking to Colin Moore his statement was after praising and thanking them for their services "We don't always manage to get it right, but we try our best!" A customer could ask for no more!

I do have the technical acumen and most tools required to spanner on my own bike and often do. Nevertheless, time often evades me. With a modest hourly rate of $79 USD at today's exchange rate and the fact they are trustworthy, convenient and very good at what they do, the bike gets dropped off there for its servicing needs. They even drop it off back home if requested free of charge.
And if more dealerships and MC shops were this way, even us mechanically inclined would use them over doing it ourselves.

I do have to admit that I do enjoy working on my own bike and find it therapeutic to do the maintenance. But those times I don't want to.... I wish I could trust a place like you describe.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
i agree with most of wut yall said. mesa getting older, fingers dont wanna work anymore, my back is so bad i live in pain 24/7 and i could go on and on and i am sure a lot of you guys are just like me. there are times that i dread working on things and hafta push myself to get it done and then there are times wen i get totally into it

·
Bronze member
3,939 Posts
Yup!! I hear ya brother,I hear ya. Myself,I can still do it,only it takes me a little longer to do.I mean,whadaya want from a kid 75 years of age. :unsure: :rolleyes: However,I'm still in pretty good shape which I attribute to doing all the work I've done over the years.But then again,ya wouldn't want me to make the wife happy now,would ya???:unsure::D:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
soooooo wen i bought my 2017 springfield {my second one} the dealer did a service on it and now that it hit 9800 miles i wanted to get the shitty indian oil out of it as i put 2500 or so miles on it. so here we go, i hadda put a one foot breaker bar on the allen wrench with a lotta oommph to crack the drain plugs loose so much so they made a snapping sound as they broke free. i find it totally amazing that the threads did not strip out, i got lucky and i knew wen i got to the oil filter i was gonna have a problem and guess wut....i was right. being that it was the short filter [indian brand] i could not get my filter tool in there to loosen it and even if i did it was so tight i hadda crush the filter with channel locks to get a grip and got it off. i mean common sense you dumb ass indian would be techs if that guy worked for me he would be fired on the spot. WHY CANT THESE DEALERS HIRE COMPETENT PEOPLE. ok rant over.
Dealership strip both my oil drain plugs had to retap both

21 - 40 of 59 Posts