Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE for September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
soooooo wen i bought my 2017 springfield {my second one} the dealer did a service on it and now that it hit 9800 miles i wanted to get the shitty indian oil out of it as i put 2500 or so miles on it. so here we go, i hadda put a one foot breaker bar on the allen wrench with a lotta oommph to crack the drain plugs loose so much so they made a snapping sound as they broke free. i find it totally amazing that the threads did not strip out, i got lucky and i knew wen i got to the oil filter i was gonna have a problem and guess wut....i was right. being that it was the short filter [indian brand] i could not get my filter tool in there to loosen it and even if i did it was so tight i hadda crush the filter with channel locks to get a grip and got it off. i mean common sense you dumb ass indian would be techs if that guy worked for me he would be fired on the spot. WHY CANT THESE DEALERS HIRE COMPETENT PEOPLE. ok rant over.

·
Bronze member
5,706 Posts
soooooo wen i bought my 2017 springfield {my second one} the dealer did a service on it and now that it hit 9800 miles i wanted to get the shitty indian oil out of it as i put 2500 or so miles on it. so here we go, i hadda put a one foot breaker bar on the allen wrench with a lotta oommph to crack the drain plugs loose so much so they made a snapping sound as they broke free. i find it totally amazing that the threads did not strip out, i got lucky and i knew wen i got to the oil filter i was gonna have a problem and guess wut....i was right. being that it was the short filter [indian brand] i could not get my filter tool in there to loosen it and even if i did it was so tight i hadda crush the filter with channel locks to get a grip and got it off. i mean common sense you dumb ass indian would be techs if that guy worked for me he would be fired on the spot. WHY CANT THESE DEALERS HIRE COMPETENT PEOPLE. ok rant over.

It's pretty simple, competent real mechanics won't work for what dealers pay them. So, they hire "techs" and in many cases they are not real trained mechanics. Same thing with car/truck dealerships.

·
Registered
21 scout bobber 60 abs (the Mistress)
293 Posts
It's pretty simple, competent real mechanics won't work for what dealers pay them. So, they hire "techs" and in many cases they are not real trained mechanics. Same thing with car/truck dealerships.
Your terminology is incorrect, a technician is the well paid person who does his job technically. The mechanic is the underpaid guy that does maintenance and is unaware of possible damage he is doing, he just doesn't want to get fired when you bring your bike back in leaking cause he left something loose.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The Indian dealer closest to me charges $130/ hr shop labor. One would think they could afford to pay a decent wage at those rates.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Your terminology is incorrect, a technician is the well paid person who does his job technically. The mechanic is the underpaid guy that does maintenance and is unaware of possible damage he is doing, he just doesn't want to get fired when you bring your bike back in leaking cause he left something loose.
I've always thought that that guy is called a "hack".
A technician is a trained worker that performs repairs etc in a step by step manner that goes "by the book"
The "mechanic" is the guy that you call when there IS no book. :cool:

·
Silver member
3,946 Posts
At my dealer the ONE mechanic they have for Indian is great. I’ve not had one issue or scratch from his work. The problem is they have only that guy working Indians. In that shop they service other brands in a multi bike dealer affiliation. They are now booked up for three weeks.

·
Bronze member
3,914 Posts
I've always thought that that guy is called a "hack".
A technician is a trained worker that performs repairs etc in a step by step manner that goes "by the book"
The "mechanic" is the guy that you call when there IS no book. :cool:
A guy with a lot of experience with a lot of different motor vehicles is the guy you want and that guy does NOT neccessarily have to be a professional motorcycle mechanic!!

·
Registered
2021 Springfield Dark Horse
554 Posts
What Baron58 said but to add to that... IF the dealerships charged better rates AND paid their mechanics better.... they would have the volume.

To OP.... I too do my own work and what you describe is actually not a sign of over tightening per say. You have steel plugs, aluminum housing.... the dissimilar metals will slight corrode even over a short period of time especially if all of that oil is cleaned off well before installation. That can easily give an overtight "feeling" and cause the "snap" you describe. As far as the filter... again, yes likely over tightened but not by too much. If the Oring is not lubed.... it can seem like the filter is welded on and cause the condition you describe.
I say all that, to say the mechanic didn't screw anything up most likely.... but definitely is not what one would consider a "good" mechanic since it would appear they are not doing what I would consider "sound" maintenance.

Like you.... it's one reason I do my own maintenance. I couldn't tell you how many times I have "redone" dealership repairs or installations for friends on their bikes. What kills me is people still go back to said dealers over and over despite them screwing stuff up.

·
Rider
March 2022 ROTM Winner
2,350 Posts
A point to note here is that there are many people who do not have the technical acumen or time to spanner on their own bikes and don't have a choice. As a result, any shortcomings from said technicians never come to light. It is always better if you have the knowledge, tools and time to do your own spannering as the job will naturally be carried out to a better standard as it is your bike after all, human nature comes to the fore.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Limited, Ruby Red Metallic
414 Posts
A point to note here is that there are many people who do not have the technical acumen or time to spanner on their own bikes and don't have a choice. As a result, any shortcomings from said technicians never come to light. It is always better if you have the knowledge, tools and time to do your own spannering as the job will naturally be carried out to a better standard as it is your bike after all, human nature comes to the fore.
Very well put

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i have been building cars, bikes and wut have you for over 50 years, and wen i do it i
NEVER have these problems, seems like some of you are trying to justify these morons incompetence. yes people do screw up, i know i have but how many others complained on this site about the same thing.

·
Rider
March 2022 ROTM Winner
2,350 Posts
i have been building cars, bikes and wut have you for over 50 years, and wen i do it i
NEVER have these problems, seems like some of you are trying to justify these morons incompetence. yes people do screw up, i know i have but how many others complained on this site about the same thing.
"When I do it I NEVER have these problems."

Sleeve Cap Poster Font Movie

Neither do I.

Others haven't been building cars and bikes etc. for over 50 years, have they? Whilst I can sense your frustrations about others incompetence there is no justification going on for their shortcomings. Just the simple fact lifestyle choices mean that others are not able to do what you can, as a result they have no alternative but to leave the spannering to the dealerships. There are good and bad in all walks of life, not everyone can be as good as you are unfortunately. What would be your solution apart from working on your own bike and venting your frustrations on here.

Not having a go but I too am an engineer and have experienced similar to yourself. Nevertheless, it is what it is, and great dealerships are out there! It's just finding one that is convenient and will agree to work on your bike if they are a different franchise.

·
Registered
124 Posts
After having one of those Jiffy Lube services strip the nut on the oil filter housing of my F250 Diesel, I will never let anybody touch my vehicles for basic service again. I had to replace the whole housing, and man was that a pia!

·
Rider
1,289 Posts
On another side.... I have always done my own oil changes (I'm an autobody repairer). 85,000 kms on my Roadmaster now. Every time I take out the drain plugs, I'm amazed at how tight they are, and also break loose with a snap.

When I change the oil, they are only put in fairly snug.....not tight.

--
Gordon

1 - 20 of 57 Posts