Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....so how many times does it have to happen before my husband gets it? o_O

It started years before we got married (21+ years ago), he came into the relationship with nothing. I was doing pretty well for myself at that time, had a bank account and everything. We get married, he gets added to the account and BAM! It's now his account....all the mail regarding that account from that point on went to him.

Fast forward to now. We've kinda made it a thing that if at all possible vehicles and such for me, went into my name only. Unfortunately with the Chieftain I needed his income as I'm already making a car payment. So "co-signer" right. NOPE! Apparently it's HIS bike. Took it in for service a few weeks ago (picking it up Saturday finally!), I told the tech, what was going on, I signed the work order. When they find out what's wrong with it, they call.....you guessed it.....HIM! I then called them with some additional questions. Tuesday, I called to find out the status. The last thing I said to the maintenance guy was "Let ME know". Guess who he called to let know the bike was done?! Not me! And my husband is simply flabbergasted that they call him and not me.....guys! do you get it yet!?

End of rant.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Funny...... in a good way........;):D

·
Registered
124 Posts

It started years before we got married (21+ years ago), he came into the relationship with nothing. I was doing pretty well for myself at that time, had a bank account and everything. We get married, he gets added to the account and BAM! It's now his account....all the mail regarding that account from that point on went to him.

Fast forward to now. We've kinda made it a thing that if at all possible vehicles and such for me, went into my name only. Unfortunately with the Chieftain I needed his income as I'm already making a car payment. So "co-signer" right. NOPE! Apparently it's HIS bike. Took it in for service a few weeks ago (picking it up Saturday finally!), I told the tech, what was going on, I signed the work order. When they find out what's wrong with it, they call.....you guessed it.....HIM! I then called them with some additional questions. Tuesday, I called to find out the status. The last thing I said to the maintenance guy was "Let ME know". Guess who he called to let know the bike was done?! Not me! And my husband is simply flabbergasted that they call him and not me.....guys! do you get it yet!?

End of rant.
I know what you mean. I'm going through this too! Aggravating!

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
So, something similar (but different) happened with my wife and I. She bought a Scout last August. To take advantage of the military promotion, the bike had to be financed with my name first on the note. She would have qualified on her own but I had to be on it and listed first.

Fast forward to when she gets extra parts and the dealer calls me even though she specifically asked to be the contact. Needless to say she was very frustrated. This happened several times with various items. She is flabbergasted and I am to the point I would have GIVEN her the $500 just to not hear about it anymore.

Finally one day she vents her dissatisfaction to the dealer. They said that's an easy fix and created her and account and moved her bike over to it. Turns out the dealer could care less who is first on the note. The systems are completely separate. Now she gets calls for her Indian and I get calls on mine. Problem solved.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Being male I probably shouldn't reply here but it seems the transaction when the bike was purchased might be where the detail of whom the bike is titled to got mixed up. If the paperwork shows him to be the owner then there might have to be some new documentation done to switch the ownership over to you. I'm just grabbing at straws here but it might be worth looking into.
Nope, both names on the paperwork with MY name being First as primary owner! Happened a long time ago too when we bought me a new car. Everything always came to him. That's why we started just having my name on titles if at all possible. But because the finance company didn't like my % of income (having half of our mortgage and a car payment already coming out of my check), we added him on as a CO-Signer. I think I just must scare you guys. Can't handle a "girl" asking a lot of questions about HER bike, maybe it threatens their manhood? ;)

·
Rider
681 Posts
Has been the opposite for me, since my wife has bought two brand new Harley's in the last 17 years of her riding. (The indian is my first new bike.)
All the motorcyle mail was for her.

·
Bronze member
1,821 Posts
Not here. It is my wife's car, in her name, with me paying for it. She gets the notifications for maintenance. The house has both our names on it. The bike only has mine because I bought it. I guess different companies do things differently. It got to the point where I was Mr. Invisible because everthing went to her. The house payment stuff, the car stuff and my first bike stuff. Did I care? No, just wrote the check and went on.

·
Registered
68 Posts
A personal observation,
Does your husband have and inquisitive nature, does he ask a ton of questions trying to understand every angle down to the very minutia? Women, in my estimation, are much more aggressive in those respects. The dealers, sales people, service folks & others have multiple orders and calls to deal with. I would understand if they had two choices for a contact, one female and one male, that the service provider would be prone to error on the side of caution by calling the male, there by spending shorter periods of time on the phone.

·
Registered
267 Posts
30 plus years ago when we got married she was starting a business and I had a pretty decent job so we sat down and decided we would have a joint account but separate saving and checking, we split bills and put our vehicles in individual names and pay for our own. So far it's worked out pretty good not to say we haven't borrowed from each other a time or two.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A personal observation,
Does your husband have and inquisitive nature, does he ask a ton of questions trying to understand every angle down to the very minutia? Women, in my estimation, are much more aggressive in those respects. The dealers, sales people, service folks & others have multiple orders and calls to deal with. I would understand if they had two choices for a contact, one female and one male, that the service provider would be prone to error on the side of caution by calling the male, there by spending shorter periods of time on the phone.
You are EXACTLY right, he doesn't. I had to call back and "suggest" that while they had the bike in their possession they test something else out. Sometimes guys don't think of "everything".

·
Registered
68 Posts
You are EXACTLY right, he doesn't. I had to call back and "suggest" that while they had the bike in their possession they test something else out. Sometimes guys don't think of "everything".
Nor do we want to. If it's that important I turn it over to my girlfriend, She's a God [email protected] pitbull!! Then I just "write the check",Some guy named Steve.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not here. It is my wife's car, in her name, with me paying for it. She gets the notifications for maintenance. The house has both our names on it. The bike only has mine because I bought it. I guess different companies do things differently. It got to the point where I was Mr. Invisible because everthing went to her. The house payment stuff, the car stuff and my first bike stuff. Did I care? No, just wrote the check and went on.
I may be a bit touchier about this subject than some because of what I saw my mother go thru when my parents got divorced. She basically became a "non-person", because my "father" (term used loosely) took care of everything, had his name on everything, etc. when they got divorced it was harder than hell for my mother to even rent an apartment for us to live! There was NO RECORD of her even existing, no credit, nothing. So I may be a little more aware of these things, and take them a bit more to heart.

However, that dealership knows whose bike it is. They took a bath on that bike with me (got it for almost a full $10k less than MSRP and had to switch all the blacked out stuff they had put on it back to chrome before I took possession)....you'd think they'd remember. :)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
My my my, and I thought I was the only one. I bought my wife a car and her name is basically the only one on the registration and she has been the only one that has taken to the dealership for servicing and she is the only one that has signed anything involving the car, with the exception of the original lean. Now that it paid off and she takes the car in for servicing they call me. Not her and the surveys all come to me, not her. I keep telling them, dont ask me ask her. But it seems it may be harder to crack that rock than I though. Its her freaking car, not mine.

Reactions: Mrsfyredude

·
Premium Member
2,551 Posts

End of rant.
It's the Complete Opposite in my Household. Everything, I mean EVERYTHING ends up in my wife's name. The First thing I have bought in 15 years that is still mine is my Indian and Only because I made a big point of everybody putting and Keeping it in my name. Every time I open a new Bank Account, get a Credit Card, whatever, after about 4 weeks it ends up in my Wife's name. I got a new Credit Union Savings account a few years ago through my Union - didn't tell my wife. didn't give any info of my wife's to the CU, thought I would Finally have something of my own - went out on a job for a few weeks, came back and it was All in my wife's name (Again) with her passwords, codewords, contact info and all. I don't know How she does it?!?!? My new car I bought in 2013 is all in her name, our house is in her name, All my accounts have her as the main contact - even though all my paychecks are direct deposited into them. Go Figure.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I may be a bit touchier about this subject than some because of what I saw my mother go thru when my parents got divorced. She basically became a "non-person", because my "father" (term used loosely) took care of everything, had his name on everything, etc. when they got divorced it was harder than hell for my mother to even rent an apartment for us to live! There was NO RECORD of her even existing, no credit, nothing. So I may be a little more aware of these things, and take them a bit more to heart.

However, that dealership knows whose bike it is. They took a bath on that bike with me (got it for almost a full $10k less than MSRP and had to switch all the blacked out stuff they had put on it back to chrome before I took possession)....you'd think they'd remember. :)
I doubt the service department is checking title or loan paperwork, they're probably just looking at their computer and getting his name and phone number off the account. Or maybe they just find him easier to deal with--maybe they remember very well that bath they took. People tend to take the path of least resistance.

Or maybe they just can't wrap their heads around a woman riding a big bike. It's not the norm.

Reactions: drvrkat

·
Silver member
4,512 Posts

End of rant.
Since I retired and my wife now makes the income.....I have become the "you" in this story! I just laugh as I'm riding "her" bike down the road using "her" debit card!

·
Bronze member
2,561 Posts
Why have a man vs woman thread? The OP generalizes too much. IMO, there is no need for this. Why segregate the two sexes. Aren't we all motorcyclists? This is dumb, not PC, and counter productive.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts