Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an appointment yesterday to have the 2nd gear indicator recall done. I arrived early and they told me they couldn’t honor the appointment and if I could come back today

I showed up today on time and they take the bike and one of their ever revolving door wrench turners took the bike back. Now 2 hrs into the 1 hr job a guy comes out and tells me the dude broke off a bolt and trying to figure out how to fix it

I am so pissed. I hate this place and it should be a showcase as it is 2 miles from the plant in Spirit Lake. Now they have the right side stripped clean (bags, covers, exhaust).Freakin sucks

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Sorry to hear of your poor service experience. Polaris Industries really needs to have some quality control of its dealerships. I too have experienced very poor service from my dealer, I can certainly sympathize.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This should be the best location in the country being only a mile from the plant. All their employees are on a revolving door. You never see the same people twice. When I left they had the entire exhaust off. Both bags and all the covers.

·
Bronze member
3,963 Posts
Sorry to hear of your poor service experience. Polaris Industries really needs to have some quality control of its dealerships. I too have experienced very poor service from my dealer, I can certainly sympathize.

The problem is Polaris doesn't know. Every single person who has a bad experience at a Indian dealership needs to notify Polaris about the poor service they received. This hopefully will cause many dealerships to loose there Indian license and others that deserve to get one.

·
Bronze member
3,355 Posts
This should be the best location in the country being only a mile from the plant. All their employees are on a revolving door. You never see the same people twice. When I left they had the entire exhaust off. Both bags and all the covers.
They are the same ones that used to sell Victory... Vern Eide Motoplex in SF SD was the factory go to for work by employees... don't know if they still are for Indian but it should tell you something

·
Bronze member
2,165 Posts
Hope they get your bike up and running soon.

·
Registered
187 Posts
That's unfortunate.
Stuff happens. Unfortunately when it stacks up like it has in your case, extending GRACE is a difficult thing to do.

I had poor service from the dealer closest to my house too. When I got the survey in an email from Polaris/ Indian, I didn't try to bash the dealer, I simply told it like it was.
I got a call from the Service Manager at the dealership a few days later expressing his apology.

I've decided to take my business to another shop 75 miles away. When I got there I explained to the owner why I was there and made my expectations clear. So far, so GOOD!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone have a graphic of this gear indicator sensor? Wondering what it bolts to, the frame or engine.. the bolt is sma and I highly doubt thus guy has the knowledge to remove it as he keeps telling me he is going to “tap it“ to remove it. The proper thing to do is to drill it and use an easy out.

just pisses me off because if the last knuckle dragged had not over torqued it, this would not have happened

mark

·
Rider
1,128 Posts
just pisses me off because if the last knuckle dragged had not over torqued it, this would not have happened
Hopefully they get you fixed up.

The Dude might be doing his best, and will get the job done.
Possibly not his fault that the bolt broke. Maybe was seized in, or over torqued from prior installation.

I'm in the automotive trade, and have had to deal with broken bolts.....not fun, and customer is usually not happy.

--
Gordon

·
Drag me down and let me burn forever!
738 Posts
call me crazy but whenever i drop a vehicle or otherwise, off for service... i usually leave it there until the next day for just such a reason - in case something happens, i'm not sitting around waiting for the work to be completed. i never get my panties all twisted over something so trivial. it sucks but stuff happens dude. relax.

edit

and as far as not honoring the appointment, that does suck. i'll give you that one.

·
Bronze member
3,355 Posts
call me crazy but whenever i drop a vehicle or otherwise, off for service... i usually leave it there until the next day for just such a reason - in case something happens, i'm not sitting around waiting for the work to be completed. i never get my panties all twisted over something so trivial. it sucks but stuff happens dude. relax.

edit

and as far as not honoring the appointment, that does suck. i'll give you that one.
true.. but some of us live a nice little ride away from our dealer... that's why when I make an appointment I ask how long it will take... knowing it could be 6 hours or more.. but they also know I live a ways away and I tell them I'm waiting... it would suck to have to call the wife in to get me and then take me back...

Reactions: Raven King

·
Super Moderator
4,867 Posts
Okoboji??

·
Silver member
4,862 Posts
That sux. I hate taking anything with engine & wheels to the dealer.

Dealer wrench should/might have a proper sized left twist bit to drill that broken bolt out.

·
Bronze member
3,108 Posts
If they paid more I'm sure they could get a few older mechanics in there.
I can't believe some of the crap I saw taking my bike for warranty work.
If it wasn't free they would never see my bike.

·
Rider
559 Posts
A lot of dealers have 24 tear old hacks that make 16 bucks an hour. Thats the way it isso find a good one if its warranty work.
Best to do your own work as some of us can or find a good indy shop and get to know them.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hopefully they get you fixed up.

The Dude might be doing his best, and will get the job done.
Possibly not his fault that the bolt broke. Maybe was seized in, or over torqued from prior installation.

I'm in the automotive trade, and have had to deal with broken bolts.....not fun, and customer is usually not happy.

--
Gordon
No, it was just there last month for the cleaning recall of the same sensor. They removed it then to clean it and when they reinstalled it they didn't follow the torque limit listed on the recall tech sheet and he over torqued it. as soon as he went to back it out this time it snapped right off

Mark

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
The problem is Polaris doesn't know. Every single person who has a bad experience at a Indian dealership needs to notify Polaris about the poor service they received. This hopefully will cause many dealerships to loose there Indian license and others that deserve to get one.
oh they know, I had a chat last week with Polaris Customer Care (a poorly worded choice as they don’t care at all). As some of you may know I’m having my engine rebuilt by Jeff Tudor at Indian V-Twin Performance in Phoenix. With less than 50,000 miles my bike started using fuel like it was going out of style. Jeff also found the following:

Engine consumed nearly 4 quarts of oil in it's last 2700 miles of use. It also had unfiltered air entering the engine through a leaking intake adapter, loose spark plug and an exhaust leak at the head/pipe. Piston ring blow-by creating abnormal crankcase pressure was pushing oil into airbox via the vent tube as well.

Cam chain completely stretched out and Cam chain tensioner all the way out.

Valve springs worn out and Pistons not sealing properly.

I had my bike to the dealer many times while under warranty for abnormal engine noise and to adhere to the service interval maintenance. I had it at dealer in Scottsdale for fuel rail recall and asked them to give me their opinion on engine noise, they said it was fine. A week later I had it to dealer in SoCal and both the Service Manager and Master Tech said it was the worst engine noise they’d ever heard from a Thunderstroke 111. The dealer in SoCal went to bat with Polaris for me but they were instructed by Polaris “it’s a Canadian bike, tell him to take it to his Canadian dealer”. I did just that, they had the bike for 6 weeks, did essentially nothing to diagnose the noise and to appease me, simply replaced the cam chain tensioner (which didn’t get rid of the excessive engine noise). I’ve had numerous other issues with my dealer and as they’re the only Indian dealer in the city I didn’t have much choice for another dealer to service my bike while it was under warranty (there is another dealer about 100 miles away now). I wish I’d never bought the Indian! I’m certainly not a good person to ask about my Indian Motorcycle After-sales experience.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well its day 2.. I was told to come in at 10am and it should be done.. I showed up and they were "just wrapping it up" and I said I would come back later in the day. Stoped back in at 2 and they were still working on it. Ask what the status was and he said that now I have an exhaust leak that he is trying to fix.. So the snowball is starting to roll..

Mark

1 - 20 of 32 Posts