Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The high-beam on my 2016 Classic, bought in June 2017, just went out again, and this will be the third one I've had on it. Anyone else experienced this? It seems a little odd, even though I usually run with my high-beam on. Do they wear-out that quickly? And I'm no electrician -- would this indicate any other problem with the circuit or system? Might it help to start the bike with the low-beam on, and then turn on the high-beam, after everything's running?

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Sometimes, it can denote an electrical problem..
Subaru comes to mind. They always cook headlights. And even Subaru has no idea why.

But, that said, it's usually an issue of the combination of low quality bulb, (and/or) coupled with vibration leading to failure.

I easiest way around it?
LED.

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
The high-beam on my 2016 Classic, bought in June 2017, just went out again, and this will be the third one I've had on it. Anyone else experienced this? It seems a little odd, even though I usually run with my high-beam on. Do they wear-out that quickly? And I'm no electrician -- would this indicate any other problem with the circuit or system? Might it help to start the bike with the low-beam on, and then turn on the high-beam, after everything's running?
I've got a Pilot VP-3106 Chrome H4 LED Sealed 7" headlamp that I'm not using. I paid $226. for it. I'll sell it to you for $75.00 and Free Shipping. It'll solve you bulb problem and be way brighter as well. Plug & Play.
vp-3106_1.jpg
IMG_3089 2.JPG

IMG_3090 2.JPG

·
Bronze member
3,073 Posts
I had a similar problem going thru atleast three headlight bulbs in a short period of time.So I too tried different makes of bulbs,but no soap.So then I started to monitor my battery charge rate alittle more closely [via the instrument panel] and discovered that my battery was charging irratically.In other words, alittle high,then alittle low,and so forth,meaning it was fluctuating the voltage going thru the bikes' electrical system [instead of remaining fairly constant] which in turn will usually take out the weakest part of the system,or the head light bulb,in this case.So what you're looking for is a constant 14.2-14.6 charge rate showing on your voltmeter without frequently bouncing up and down. Anyways,after investigating my problem alittle further,I discovered that my battery ground cable,WHERE IT ATTACHES TO THE FRAME RAIL,[and this has been mentioned here] was, infact,also alittle on the loose side.So I tightened it alittle more [without breaking the bolt] and haven't had the problem since,not to mention,my charge rate now remains pretty steady,instead of fluctuating like it was. So this will be your starting point!!Good luck! Dave!!!

·
Bronze member
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a similar problem going thru atleast three headlight bulbs in a short period of time.So I too tried different makes of bulbs,but no soap.So then I started to monitor my battery charge rate alittle more closely [via the instrument panel] and discovered that my battery was charging irratically.In other words, alittle high,then alittle low,and so forth,meaning it was fluctuating the voltage going thru the bikes' electrical system [instead of remaining fairly constant] which in turn will usually take out the weakest part of the system,or the head light bulb,in this case.So what you're looking for is a constant 14.2-14.6 charge rate showing on your voltmeter without frequently bouncing up and down. Anyways,after investigating my problem alittle further,I discovered that my battery ground cable,WHERE IT ATTACHES TO THE FRAME RAIL,[and this has been mentioned here] was, infact,also alittle on the loose side.So I tightened it alittle more [without breaking the bolt] and haven't had the problem since,not to mention,my charge rate now remains pretty steady,instead of fluctuating like it was. So this will be your starting point!!Good luck! Dave!!!
Great info, Dave -- thank you!

·
Bronze member
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got a Pilot VP-3106 Chrome H4 LED Sealed 7" headlamp that I'm not using. I paid $226. for it. I'll sell it to you for $75.00 and Free Shipping. It'll solve you bulb problem and be way brighter as well. Plug & Play.
View attachment 586095 View attachment 586096

View attachment 586097
Hey Enzo, thanks for the offer. Why are you not using it? Is it new? I did a real quick Google search on that and didn't see any motorcycle references come up at all -- lots of Jeep and other automotive references though. Is it an absolute fit for my Classic? I assume there are still high and low beams, right?

·
Bronze member
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a photo of the LED beam on a 2015 Classic.
Well I am interested (and got your PM, by the way). Any issues with "aiming" that baby? I've never aimed my stock headlight -- just don't know if it's an issue or not. And if it's LED, it should have thousands of hours left on it, right? I've seen "plug and play" comments on other stuff I've installed and it sure wasn't as easy as it was described. Does this all happen from the front (easy access) of the nacelle?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts