Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Rider
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Currently riding a 2019 ruby metallic chieftain limited, love her but thinking of upgrading to 2021 Challenger Limited, thoughts??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Currently riding2019 ruby metalic, color ,love herthinking of upgrading to 2021 Challenger Limited, thoughts??
Just compare the pros and cons and examine why you are even thinking about upgrading. I always thought someone would have to pry my 2016 Victory Cross Country from my cold dead hands. But I put a lot miles on it and needed to put several grand into needed maintenance. I can't afford to keep multiple bikes, so in the end it came down to economics. I decided it was best to put that money into a new Challenger that could be supported for the long haul, and while there was still some residual value in the Victory. The Challenger is an absolutely amazing bike and has give me zero problems, but it looks like you already have a great ride. So what are the main reasons you're thinking of upgrading?

·
Rider
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, good points. Want the bigger engine, led lighting,new command system, smart lean technology… fixed fairing I hope not to be an issue…".

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 2020 Challenger is the first fixed fairing motorcycle I've owned and after 14000 miles I really like it. Traded my 2017 Chieftain sort of on the spur of the moment. It was a fantastic motorcycle, but the Challenger is hands-down more fun. No regrets.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,290 Posts
I love the fixed fairing!! It handles in great in the wind!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,231 Posts
He is right about the fairing. I've been out in some gusty winds and there is no tugging on the steering or any feeling of being pushed around. Just rock steady with no effort needed.

·
Rider
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the last 6 years I’ve owned the following Indian bikes:
Chief vintage
Chieftain
Springfield (best handing of the bunch)
Chieftain limited ( a very close 2nd in handling to the Springfield)….
For anyone whose ride any of the above, can you share your thoughts in how the Challenger handles as compared to the others mentioned ??
Thanks

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,231 Posts
I can make a comparison to the 2015 Chieftain. While the Chieftain had wonderful handling for it's size and weight the Challenger is even easier to throw around. The tip-in is quicker and more effortless and feels as though it can hold an even tighter line through curves and turns. The fixed fairing takes a little getting used to but once I became accustomed I wouldn't care to go back. There is no affect on anything by wind gusts or wind blast from semi rigs. The stock Challenger windshield works best for me in the full up position while the Chieftain was better all the way down. Wind noise is a bit worse with the Challenger though, no bad buffeting-just noisier.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have owned a 2015 Chieftain and once I test rode the Challenger I knew it was a much more powerful and better handling bike. I suggest go test ride one. I now own a 2021 Challenger

·
Bronze member
1,587 Posts
I own a Vintage, an RM and recently sold my Springfield and purchased a 21 Challenger Dark Horse.

The Springfield was a good handling bike. It's not even in the same solar system as the Challenger. Lighter feeling, easier to lean in and out of corners, and better acceleration and brakes. I also own a Victory Cross Country, which had been my previous favorite bike to ride in the twisties, and the Challenger is just plain better. Went on back to back rides with the Challenger and XC last Saturday and even I was surprised at the difference in handling and responsiveness.

·
Senior member / rider
1,299 Posts
Polaris. Please, please, please build a Challenger based motorcycle with a detachable windscreen (e.g. Road King). My checkbook awaits....

·
Rider
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can make a comparison to the 2015 Chieftain. While the Chieftain had wonderful handling for it's size and weight the Challenger is even easier to throw around. The tip-in is quicker and more effortless and feels as though it can hold an even tighter line through curves and turns. The fixed fairing takes a little getting used to but once I became accustomed I wouldn't care to go back. There is no affect on anything by wind gusts or wind blast from semi rigs. The stock Challenger windshield works best for me in the full up position while the Chieftain was better all the way down. Wind noise is a bit worse with the Challenger though, no bad buffeting-just noisier.
Thank you for your comments- Ride Safe

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi, good points. Want the bigger engine, led lighting,new command system, smart lean technology… fixed fairing I hope not to be an issue…".
Ride Command is not worth upgrading for. For my 2 cents. I love the look of the 111/116 motor

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've wanted the challenger since the first press kit came out...definitely my next bike..Hope you go for it and enjoy every moment...👍

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,290 Posts
I was the same way and have had mine a little over a year. I love it so much!

Reactions: rivarij99

·
Rider
858 Posts
….
For anyone whose ride any of the above, can you share your thoughts in how the Challenger handles as compared to the others mentioned ??
Thanks
I traded a 2019 Chieftain Limited for a 2020 Challenger Limited.
In a nutshell, the Challenger corners like a street bike, has incredible off the line acceleration, good wind management, NO ENGINE HEAT, and has a tendency to make Harley owners cranky and irritated.
I had some of the typical problems like surging at slow speed , phantom warning lights etc, but after the reflash that's all history. I put TAB 2.5 slip-ons on and sometimes get 50 mpg on a tank.
I personally, love the bike because I don't ride alot, so when I take it out, I come back home with that "first ride" grin.
100_3301.JPG

·
Rider
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, sounds awesome !
How is the stock radio because on my 2019 chieftain limited it’s pretty shitty not that I listen to a lot of radio I live in New York City area and it sounds like crap so I generally use iTunes Spotify

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Remember, the Challenger is uglier.

Rides and handles awesome. Just a weird looking bike, imo.

(Full disclosure, I owned a Vision, lol)

·
Rider
858 Posts
Wow, sounds awesome !
How is the stock radio because on my 2019 chieftain limited it’s pretty shitty not that I listen to a lot of radio I live in New York City area and it sounds like crap so I generally use iTunes Spotify
I get good reception and the fidelity is pretty good. I accessed the equalizer and it puts out decent bass and clear highs. You can also adjust the "low" volume setting by adjusting the FADE option.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts