Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to dealership today and was thinking of trading up to a 15 Vintage they have, am trying to use my 63 FLH pan-shovel as fodder plus my 16 Scout 60, which has Mich 2 tires, Indian luggage rack, War Bonnet floorboards, after market saddle bags, reduce reach bars, pathfinder led bulb, plus a Dobeck unit, they offered $7000 for the Scout 60, but owe $10,000 to the bank yet, the HD is still pending. Am about 5' 5" so will have to get the reduce reach seat. Am open to all thoughts on this matter, the Scout is a good bike, but am use to more of a cruiser type for long range trips, make one once or twice a year 650 miles one way to visit daughter and grandkids, hence why good reason to trade up. Thx

·
Speak softly and carry a big stick. Teddy R
1,529 Posts
Went to dealership today and was thinking of trading up to a 15 Vintage they have, am trying to use my 63 FLH pan-shovel as fodder plus my 16 Scout 60, which has Mich 2 tires, Indian luggage rack, War Bonnet floorboards, after market saddle bags, reduce reach bars, pathfinder led bulb, plus a Dobeck unit, they offered $7000 for the Scout 60, but owe $10,000 to the bank yet, the HD is still pending. Am about 5' 5" so will have to get the reduce reach seat. Am open to all thoughts on this matter, the Scout is a good bike, but am use to more of a cruiser type for long range trips, make one once or twice a year 650 miles one way to visit daughter and grandkids, hence why good reason to trade up. Thx
I would keep the Panhead pre-AMF Harley. Those are beautiful bikes. Just trade the scout for the Vintage and pay the difference (loan) You'll be sorry for getting rid of the HD panhead, it's something to leave the grandkids or son/daughter. Wish my uncles would have saved their old HD's and Indians. None of my cousins ride, one Uncle said that if he had known my love for motorcycles.....well, to late now. Find another way brother.

·
Speak softly and carry a big stick. Teddy R
1,529 Posts
PS: pictures of the Panhead please....

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,909 Posts
I think I'd keep the panhead too but you could probably sell it here or any Harley forum and get much more than any dealer would give you. Unless someone there wanted it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I agree on the other comments somewhat, but in satisfying yourself be smart and patient about it . I would sell the HD, and try squeezing more out of them on the Scout trade-in (you just bought it for crying out loud, take off your accessories and sell them separately if you can). You only come this way once satisfy yourself.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2021 Indian Challenger Limited Deepwater Metalic
6,053 Posts
You will always get the most for any vehicle when you sell it outright. I always look at the difference in private party and trade in values is what I'm paying for someone else to deal with the issues of selling my vehicle. If the difference is worth the time it would take to advertise, talk to the tire kickers...and haggle, find a buyer...and haggle, wait for their financing...and maybe haggle some more, and meet them to exchange money, then I'd sell it myself. If that is too much work or the type of work you despise doing, then trade it in instead.

Being that you still owe money, and therefore don't have a clean title, will make it even harder to find a buyer willing to wait until the title clears. That is another reason to trade it in. But the final decision rests in what you feel is worth it.

Do you want to go through the hassle of selling it yourself? (at least you still have something to ride in the mean time)
Do you feel the bike you are buying is worth $3K more than it's retail value?
Do you really need to upgrade now or can you be happy riding your Scout for another year or two until what you owe is closer to what it's worth?
Is having the Vintage worth losing your Panhead?

Oh, I almost forgot the most pivotal thing; and PLEASE don't get offended. I don't know anything about you and only ask this since most times people buy things they later regret its normally due to finances. Can you afford it (and the increase insurance) or at least are you willing to give up something else in your life so you can pay for this?

·
2021 Indian Challenger Limited Deepwater Metalic
6,053 Posts
if you do a trade in you won't pay sales tax for what you get on your bike.Selling outright is not always the best way !
99.99% of the time the buyer pays the sales tax when they register the vehicle. I'm hardly an expert, but of all the times I've bought, sold or know someone who bought or sold the buyer has always paid the sales tax.

·
Registered
279 Posts
In my previous bike trade-in experience it doesn't matter what upgrades or aftermarket parts you have on the bike, it will have no influence over how much you get from a dealer...I was informed of that from a small mom & pop HD dealer and they are good people; who basically told me to strip all my parts off before bringing it in and sell them privately. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thx all, been 44 years with my 63 pan shovel, she is a kick start only, but my knee has been with me 65 years and the two don't get along any more :( hence the elec start need, and y'all are right,will give it some deep thought and try the scout on the trip then decide which way to go, always good to get other thoughts, do not know how to post pics off my phone, but can text or e mail them. Thx all PS usually I make that trip in one day on my Hawg.

·
2,355 Posts
99.99% of the time the buyer pays the sales tax when they register the vehicle. I'm hardly an expert, but of all the times I've bought, sold or know someone who bought or sold the buyer has always paid the sales tax.
If you buy a bike for $20,000 and trade in a bike for $7,000, you only pay sales tax on $13,000.

·
Bronze member
1,224 Posts
@Hawgrunner Take pics using your cell phone. Email those pics from your cell phone to your email account. Open that email and save those pics to your computer. Reply to this thread and click "Upload A File" which should either bring you to the file your pics are in or give you an option to click the file your pics are in. Click on the pics you want to share. Click "Post Reply" then sit back and........

....wait for the rest of us to comment on how much we admire, and are envious, of your '63 Panny.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Personally...I wouldn't buy another brand new bike. I thought the Vintage was going to be the last bike i'd need. "The Cadillac". However, I miss things about all my previous bikes. I've tried to sell it outright for what I owe...to no avail. I looked at trading it in....and I think I was offered 12.5 for trade in.

So I figured I'd just ride the piss out of her......

·
Banned
5,397 Posts
I have two pans ..........first year Electra Glide and a 59 that I bought not running. First and last year pans are worth all the money. You can still find these and if you are hot and turned on with the pan look........remember that S&S makes a replica one. A pan engine. Which is probably much better than an original one . I Know it is .......why did I even doubt myself there?

I think you just get tired of old bikes and their rituals and other little things. The new Indians are all like new cars now. Just start them and off you go. Indian very easy maintenance and old pans........well not so much. Belt vs chain, oil drippings vs a clean floor, foot shifter vs hand, there is a bunch of reasons. As much as I love old bikes, they are not the speed demons that people think they are. 80 MPH plus on an old pan is risky. 70 MPH on my 47 Knucklehead museum piece with 6K miles here is rolling the dice and its absolutely perfect. New bikes have balance and all that goes with just jumping on and heading off into the sunset. No points to file and set, chain slinging oil spots over some girls back, ect. Vintage Indians are notorious for throwing off chains above 80 MPH....... I mean, get an old bike if thats your deal but the world still turns and life goes on when you make the change. To me, vintage bikes are not for real riding ..........they are either show off pieces or checks waiting to be cashed when they sell.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you're thinking vintage, look at (and more importantly, ride) the Springfield. I just took one out for a demo ride today when the truck showed up at my local dealer.
It's a different frame than the vintage or my DH. Shorter rake and it was much more nimble in the turns. I didn't want to love it as much as I did. Handlebars are slightly different too.
Just a thought...

Keep the shiny side up!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.