Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really like the new look but it’s mainly the specs from inverted front shocks, easy better breaks and do like the new technology. my only issue is I don’t like the screen.

Am i making a mistake ?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Mistake? There are too many big changes for anyone but you to know the right answer. Moving from the classic fairing, the air cooled engine, and the simpler dashboard to liquid cooling, a fairing I'll charitably call "divisive" and the more modern infotainment. Big changes.

I will say I followed a Challenger from the dealership for 40 miles or so on my Thunderstroke Roadmaster. I'd say the Challenger is a bit faster based on that experience. If that matters to you. To me, I love that Thunderstroke motor. And the new fairing would keep me from spending that kind of money on that bike. It looks like a snowmobile hit a brick wall and came away with a Pug's face.

Meaning no offense to pugs.

·
Bronze member
2,261 Posts
2020 Challenger roadmaster dark horse in red
I traded my 2016 RM for a Challenger Darkhorse in May. I’ve got no regrets. I live in Coastal Georgia, so heated seat & grips, and lowers I don’t really need. I’m adding a trunk to the Challenger for trips, but it’ll come off when I get home. The Challenger is a hot rod...It’s hard to go for a ride and not tap out the speed limiter.

·
Registered
366 Posts
2020 Challenger roadmaster dark horse in red
Alright it’s a hell of a bike. The 2019 ride command and the 2020 ride command are similar enough that I wouldn’t much worry about that. The 116 is a major upgrade.

Ride command in general isn’t something I thought I’d use much, but after trading in my 2016 rm on a 2019 my eyes were opened. It’s quite wonderful if you’re in to planning your own routes.

So if you’re not picky on colors, and it sounds like you are, there are still some 19’s floating around out there at killer prices. If that 2020 has the 116 and price isn’t an issue, you’re gonna be very happy.

·
Registered
734 Posts
A couple of months ago I traded in my hot, overweight 2015 Roadmaster on a Challenger. One of the best decisions I've ever made, period.

Reactions: lightower

·
Rider
809 Posts
I traded in a 2019 Chieftain Ltd. for the red Challenger Ltd. and I can assure you that there is no similarity between the two bikes.
After the reflash of the ride command , I now have everything I had on the Chieftain and more. As for the power difference, the Challenger will kick any V-twin on the road. Plus, the engine heat is gone.
Test rides tell a little, but once you own one for a while, you will appreciate the differences.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Keep your RM & get the Challenger if that's what you're looking at.
Some dealers have blacked out the Red Limited and I think it looks great. I personally like the DH look myself. My other bike has the Chrome, so maybe that's why.

Once you have them both, you'll be able to decide if the RM needs to go.

Good luck & Twist Throttle!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I’ll be road testing the sandstone version . If it works out i’ll post pics. Only accessories would passenger peg , back rear support and a luggage rack . I’m sure next year there with be a Challenger Roadmaster variant .

·
Bronze member
3,629 Posts
the Challenger will kick any V-twin on the road.

Actually not true, the speed limiter has caused many challengers to jump out ahead and then get passed up when the speed limiter kicks in. But then again if you want to go fast get a crotch rocket. :p

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
When Dynojet or someone with similar technology comes out with a PV3 type tuner which allows a bypass of the speed limiter, i want to shock the Ducati Multistradas and the KTM Dukes by staying with them at 140 mph. With the HD 114's, I get so far ahead while passing a truck or slow vehicle going 75, that in the few seconds it takes to hit the 110 (actually its 112 with the stage 1 full flash/exhaust &intake, that I have to slow down and wait for the HD. My GF who I ride with 99% of the time has a 300. Lb. lighter 2018 Softail 114 with pipes, K&N, and a full tune by Dynojet (who did a great tune job and is around the corner from where I live). I ride the Harley sometimes, as it has a very distinctively different feel and sound, but just doesn't handle like a sport touring bike like my Challenger does. Can't wait to get a full exhaust, PV3 dynotune and maybe cams if they get released by S&S or Lloydz some time in the future. Deadwood SD last weekend below.
20200807_150944.jpg

·
Registered
58 Posts
Took it for a spin today. She really likes to move at higher RPM's but there is an odd vibration from my hands to my bumb that I don't get from my Roadmaster but overall a very nice ride for sure and certainly better than my Roadmaster but the pricing should be at least $5k less for what your getting in my opinion.

I'm down to two bikes for my decision making based on my habits, of being older, looking for lighter and easier ride, and price. Some long tours but not like the old days of cross country. This may be a dramatic shift in a different direction for me and it may be a very radically different touring bike at the end...may upset some folks here IF I pull the trigger.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Took it for a spin today. She really likes to move at higher RPM's but there is an odd vibration from my hands to my bumb that I don't get from my Roadmaster but overall a very nice ride for sure and certainly better than my Roadmaster but the pricing should be at least $5k less for what your getting in my opinion.

I'm down to two bikes for my decision making based on my habits, of being older, looking for lighter and easier ride, and price. Some long tours but not like the old days of cross country. This may be a dramatic shift in a different direction for me and it may be a very radically different touring bike at the end...may upset some folks here IF I pull the trigger.
Don't worry about being judged by your decision. No one but you has to like and more importantly RIDE what you buy. Even though I love my Challenger, I would buy 10 more bikes if I could afford to and had the room in my garage for them. I have bought 5 new motorcycles in the past 2 years. I kept the 2 I like the best. One is a 222 lb. Dirt bike, so I get the lighter is better for some applications. My Challenger is the lightest handling 800+ pound bike I have ever ridden. It is by far the easiest bike to cruise at 95mph comfortably and with the feel I prefer. I would imagine a Gold Wing or a BMW would be equally capable of riding comfortably at that speed, but without the character of a V-Twin which differentiates to me a motorcycle from a car. Best of luck with your decision.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks Grayrat. I'll be trying out the BMW touring r 1250 rt tomorrow and see how she rides since the same dealer carries both Indian and BMW. Feature rich for sure and very light. Also like the saddlebags that can hold my helmet since I hate trunks on any bikes and would rather carry use my wolfmans.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
As a final note, if you like stock exhausts you probably won't notice a lot of difference between the sound or feel of the 2 motors. For me personally, I had to change the exhaust as soon as possible to something that replicated my V-Twins of which I have owned 10, all had full exhausts with the exception of the Challenger which I am just waiting on Dynojet to come out with a tuner. I have TAB mufflers with 2-1/2" baffles (started with Zombies but I couldn't hear my speakers over 75 mph.) I much prefer floorboards to pegs, and the relaxed more upright position of the Challenger over a BMW RS boxer. Otherwise I really like the ergos of boxers, but they don't fit my personality. I have nothing in common with the BMW crowd. Somethings to think about. I also like the big 7" screen on the Ride Command as my vision is not what it used to be.

·
Registered
734 Posts

When I demo'ed the Challenger last year the engine felt and sounded weird to me. After 900 miles now I've completely forgotten about that. It's just a different animal than the 111 or the Victory 106. And make no mistake, even in stock form, it's a wild animal. I don't spend a lot of time on slabby roads doing the ton but I'm busy grinding the floorboards in the twisties. The power and handling are fantastic.
I also went with the Challenger due to the lighter weight and getting away from doing 5,000 mile trips on the RM and Visions. I don't want or need a trunk on a bike any more and if I do I'm taking a Vision.

Reactions: lightower
1 - 20 of 24 Posts